Did my first Android Phone Motherboard swap today.

Last week I was at a customers house and they had a bunch of stuff on a table. They said see anything you like? Well there was a pile of cell phones, so I asked about them. One was cracked and another one was a complete dead stick. Wouldn't turn on wouldn't do anything. Held the power button down, nothing. So I tried a different battery it was still dead. I asked if I could have it he said sure, we were gonna throw it away.

At first I thought I had snagged a Galaxy S3 but upon googling the Model number it was a Galaxy S4 for US Cellular.

Seeing how it wouldn't even turn on with a good battery I thought the only thing it could be was the motherboard. So I looked on eBay and found a replacement motherboard $47 Free shipping Clean ESN

I already have the iFixit tool kit so I had all the tools I needed. All I have to say is the phone is VERY easy to take apart to work on. I wish all phones were made like this. Thin, Sleek, Removable battery, and VERY easy to get to the motherboard.  I would say if a person knew what they were doing, they could swap a motherboard out in an S4 in under 7 mins

15352513960_24fdc5854c.jpg

15535487651_491ebdb848.jpg

Anyway, I put the new motherboard in, put the battery in, held down the power button and ..... "BUZZZZzz" the phone buzzed and the... Screen came on. It was a live.

So now I rooted it and have CM11 running on. I also had to order a back for it for $6 so I have it fixed for about $53... Going to let a friend use it. Not as a phone but just as a internet Device on Wifi. I currently have an S3 too bad this wasn't a verizon version,  other wise i'd use it. This phone is fast as ######.

15538983372_3481b3ebae_c.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent work, I do tons of phone repairs (mostly iphone screens). You can make a killing doing these as I have found not many people need computer repairs recently for some reason. Also, I have found HTC and Samsung phones to be quite easy to pull apart and fix even if you don't follow a teardown article or anything.

It's story like this that got me envious. :)  Good job buddy.  Now give me that toy!  Got iNew i8000 a couple of weeks ago and then I sell it cos the spec wasn't that good.  Trying to get Xperia Z1 but the process is being halted.  Feel very obnoxious of everything when things are not going my way. :/