5,000 spiders force family from Missouri home

WELDON SPRING, Mo. (KMOV) -

A home in an upscale Weldon Spring neighborhood that has been overrun by brown recluse spiders is finally getting rid of the eight-legged creatures.

Crews have covered the house, which is located near Whitmoor Country Club, with a giant tent and pumped in poison gas to kill the spiders.

A family bought the home in 2008 and later found out it was infested with what a spider expert estimated to be 5,000 brown recluse spiders. The family sued the previous owners, saying they were not informed of the spider problem. The house eventually went into foreclosure.

An expert on brown recluse spiders said the creature's bite can be very serious depending on how much venom is injected.

"It's not going to kill you, but it will make you wish you were dead," said Jamal Sandidge with the University of Kansas.

An exterminator said there is particular reason why one home may be infested even though nearby homes have no such problems.

"Many times people bring them in, you can move from a house that has them. You buy things at an auction, you have furniture in storage, many times brown recluse spiders are carried right into the house," said Tim McCarthy with McCarthy Pest and Termite Control.

The family that sued the previous owners accumulated more than $100,000 in legal fees. McCarthy said it will cost around $14,000 to get rid of the spiders.

http://www.kwch.com/5000-spiders-force-family-from-missouri-home/29085842?ver=135

Honestly, the number sounds like alot, and it sounds scary, but i live out in the country and you can pick up any item in any room and find a brown recluse.

Rarely ever bite, and even when they do bite its even more rare to have a bad reaction.

i think anyone who actually counted the spiders in their house would be surprised of the number and how high it is.

Sensational story.

When any spider has babies it has a few hundred to thousands at a time.

Still scary.

• Like 1

Not even making this up, as I was reading this story a super tiny spider dangled right in front of my monitor.

Now to read a story about a house being infested with attractive women and see what happens :woot:

That number seems pretty phenomenal but I don't understand why it was such an issue, shouldn't have been something that takes 5 years to resolve unless they spiders have some nest setup deep in the foundations in which case the tent approach is unlikely to full resolve it and you would indeed need to nuke it from orbit.

yea, I bet!

Before you can pick em up they'd be up your trouser leg!

She's far more likely to crawl up on my shoulder and take a nap. That or on my thigh. Alt.choice is to park in the umbrella tree pot and wait for a bug or other small critter, though she usually eats in her habitat. The dogs learned to leave her alone a long time ago.