Azure Recovery Services Agent Upgrade Fail

I'm trying to update the Azure Recover Services Agent on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, the latest version supports long term retention and not just 30 days like the previous version.

The installer starts then gives this error:

The Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent installation has failed.

Error : Failed to install Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent.

Problem : 1603:Fatal error during installation

All I can really see in event viewer is this:

Product: Windows Azure Backup Agent -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action EventsCleanup, location: C:\Program Files\Windows Azure Backup Agent\bin\, command: "C:\Windows\system32\wevtutil.exe" cl CloudBackup

Unless my Google skills are failing me i can't really find anything on problems with upgrading the Azure Recover Services Agent, has anyone come across this before?

For anyone who Google?s this in the future I ended up uninstalling the Azure Recovery Services Agent, after that i could install the newer version fine.

By doing that i had to set everything up again however, basically log in to Windows Azure and enable server re-registration, re register the server with the same recovery key and certificate. After that backups worked as normal, the server had remembered the folders I had selected to be backed up previously.

Not ideal, however the Azure Recovery Services Agent is upgraded and backing up fine, with much longer retention periods now available.

• 2 weeks later...