Unsigned Driver on Windows 8.1 x64 issues

Long story short, I've recently picked up DJing as a side gig. 

I purchased an inexpensive USB adapter to control my lights. The drivers available for it are unsigned.

Two things:

1. Is there an easy way to "sign" them so I don't have to reboot into "safe" mode or whatever to use the device every time?

2. Or -- Is there a way to disable the verification?

Biggest issue:

When on Windows 8.1, the device disconnects itself every 30-40 seconds or so (I hear the "USB unplug" sound) then reconnects itself maybe 5 seconds later. I have a desktop with Windows 7 x64 and don't have this issue at all. And I can't figure out why. 

Tried on Windows 8 tablet -- no issues there. 

Any ideas why it keeps disconnecting on my laptop? It's also at random intervals -- sometimes it works for 40 seconds, other times its 10 seconds

Hello,

if the device keeps disconnecting in one computer but not in another (tablet), then either it's a usb cable or the mainboard of the first computer problem. About the signing of the drivers, that's a non issue for most people; it won't make the problems you seem to be having.

Any ideas why it keeps disconnecting on my laptop? It's also at random intervals -- sometimes it works for 40 seconds, other times its 10 seconds

Is the adapter powering itself through the port? If so, it might be a power issue. The random disconnect interval, as well as its working on two other pieces of hardware (one running the same OS), seem to point to a problem with the adapter hardware itself.

If the adapter is indeed pulling power from the USB port, might be worth testing the adapter with the laptop, but putting a powered USB hub in between, if you have the hardware readily available or could borrow it.

Is the adapter powering itself through the port? If so, it might be a power issue. The random disconnect interval, as well as its working on two other pieces of hardware (one running the same OS), seem to point to a problem with the adapter hardware itself.

If the adapter is indeed pulling power from the USB port, might be worth testing the adapter with the laptop, but putting a powered USB hub in between, if you have the hardware readily available or could borrow it.

Good point.

BTW: HAPPY BDAY!

Try this:

Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the letter C to open the Charm menu, then click the gear icon (Settings).

Click More PC Settings.

Click General

Under Advanced Startup, click Restart Now.

NOTE: In Windows 8.1, the ?Restart Now? button has moved to ?PC Setting -> Update & Recovery -> Recovery.?

After restarting, click Troubleshoot.

Click Advanced Options.

Click Windows Startup Settings.

Click Restart.

After restarting your computer a second time, choose Disable driver signature enforcement from the list by typing the number 7 or F7 on your keyboard.

Your computer will restart automatically.

After restarting, you will be able to install the Arduino drivers normally; however, Windows will display a warning message. When the warning appears, click Install this driver software anyway. If you are unfamiliar with installing 

Good call.

I'm gonna go grab one from the basement tonight and try that. 

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever get this fixed? I've wasted so much time trawling through search engines and forums trying to fix this issue. I just bought the most expensive I've ever had (Dell XPS 9530) and it can't do a simple task such as hold onto a USB connection for over 40 seconds at a time!

As an app developer this has set me back so much, and is costing so much valuable work time.