Suicide Squad

13 minutes ago, Hurmoth said:

I think the Joker/Harley Quinn story should have been its own film. That film should be based on Mad Love (not New 52) and truly explain who Quinn is and be more of a psychological thriller in the same vein of Gone Girl (in fact, let David Fincher even helm the film).

Kinda of hard to give them their own solo film IMO, maybe if they take that story and somehow make it a batman film it'd work for the box office.

I went to see it this weekend, I enjoyed it, didn't live up to the original Hype I had for this but then I've never been a massive fan of any of the DC Movies. 

I found it did the typical take a lifetime to build up to the final event with far too much time spent on backstories and flashbacks then was really necessary. 

Well, hate it or love it, as of this weekend, the movie is a success for WB sitting at just over $575 million world wide.  I think when it's al said and done it'll close out it's box office run somewhere between $600-$620million world wide.

• Like 1

Looks like I was wrong,  it's up to $636 million world wide, could end over $650 million, again, not as high as it could have been with more positive critic reviews but in the end it's made a good chunk of money for WB.

• 1 month later...

Finally saw the movie last night. Decent, better than the reviews and word of mouth (but maybe my expectations were lowered). I though the characters were all well crafted and acted.

With one exception. Jared Leto put in an excellent performance as the worst Joker ever. He did an excellent job with what he was given, but the direction for the character was totally wrong. While I wasn't a huge fan of Heath Ledger's take either, he simply wasn't my favorite version. Jared was totally unwatchable.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 3:29 PM, Hurmoth said:

I think the Joker/Harley Quinn story should have been its own film. That film should be based on Mad Love (not New 52) and truly explain who Quinn is and be more of a psychological thriller in the same vein of Gone Girl (in fact, let David Fincher even helm the film).

I would have been fine with the Joker/Harley stuff cut or kept to a minimum. The Joker added nothing to the film, and was agonizing to watch. Leto was miles behind Hamill, Romero, Nicholson or even Ledger.

Extended cut on the way to digital and bluray, with an extra 13-15 minutes of stuff, I'm thinking it's more Harley and Joker origin story stuff.

Anyways, at the box office, the movie is a huge success, so critic reviews be damned it seems.

I was disappointed with the film. It felt all over the place with the plot. Too much time was spent with some origin stories and not enough time with others, which meant that I didn't really care about a majority of the team. Perhaps I'd lost interest by this point, but the apocalypse seemed to be more of a storm in a teacup rather than having any real gravitas. Also, there seemed very little propelling the plot forwards. They land, clear out the area and move on. They clear out the next area and move on. Rinse and repeat until you get to the ending. With the exception of Harley's brief escape, there was nothing to keep me engaged. Speaking of Harley, she was probably the best bit of the whole film. Margot Robbie did a fantastic job with the role.

I was looking forward to watching this film, but for me it fell flat. :(

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2016 at 2:58 AM, Nick H. said:

I was disappointed with the film. #1It felt all over the place with the plot. Too much time was spent with some origin stories and not enough time with others, which meant that I didn't really care about a majority of the team. Perhaps I'd lost interest by this point, but the apocalypse seemed to be more of a storm in a teacup rather than having any real gravitas. Also, there seemed very little propelling the plot forwards. They land, clear out the area and move on. They clear out the next area and move on. Rinse and repeat until you get to the ending. With the exception of Harley's brief escape, there was nothing to keep me engaged. (#2) Speaking of Harley, she was probably the best bit of the whole film. Margot Robbie did a fantastic job with the role.

I was looking forward to watching this film, but for me it fell flat. :(

I think director/producer figured (#2) that out and probably gave her more on screen time, as a result, what you mean (#1). Cause, c'mon, we can't be the only ones with a brain, probably at WB said, oh lets milk suicide squad and lets produce/franchise Harley.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/4/2016 at 9:58 AM, Draconian Guppy said:

I think director/producer figured (#2) that out and probably gave her more on screen time, as a result, what you mean (#1). Cause, c'mon, we can't be the only ones with a brain, probably at WB said, oh lets milk suicide squad and lets produce/franchise Harley.

Lest we forget, what is the one thing that Joker (in canon) never did - he did NOT commit to her. Harley, on the other hand, became part of the glue of the Squad.  In fact, the Squad BONDED.  (Yes - ALL of the Squad. Flag, Croc, Deadshot.  Heck - how many times did Deadshot save Flag's bacon?) (Yes - I'm watching it now - for the first time.)