my reason for Google dropping Nexus 7 for 9

I was very happy with the Nexus 7 2013 model is was fast, high rez screen and did its job. Now that Google is releasing a 9 inch version and dropping 7 and 10. I'm upset because I would have just replace my Nexus 7 to tue 2014 model for $220. But now that my Nexus 7 is brick, I can't see myself playing anything more than $250 for a tablet. $399 is just overprice and the same to an iPad Mini 2. So why buy it when I can get an iPad. Serious, people get an android tablet for its price point. Bug I can understand that Google wants to make money on the hardware verses just the app sells.

I think a lot of people were looking for a refresh of the Nexus 7 device, but with Google releasing a 6 inch phablet it made no sense to release a phone with a slightly larger screen. The phablet essentially replaced the need for a 7 inch device.  

• Like 3

I think a lot of people were looking for a refresh of the Nexus 7 device, but with Google releasing a 6 inch phablet it made no sense to release a phone with a slightly larger screen. The phablet essentially replaced the need for a 7 inch device.  

Not necessarily.  7in tablets are cheaper, available off contract, and not tied to a service provider (unless it has LTE).  The Nexus tablet above 7in needed to be refreshed since it has not been for years.  The N7 is getting Lillipop, ART, and supposed to run much better.  The current N7 is already a great smooth tablet and Lillipop will make it that much better.  So really no need to refresh it ATM.,,IMO

I'm upset because I would have just replace my Nexus 7 to tue 2014 model for $220. But now that my Nexus 7 is brick

You just got it and it is a brick?     why?   you broke it?   If not, it is still a good device and you can put Android 5 on it.

i don't see what is your problem?

btw, i think they would have being better releasing 8" and not 9"          though i have to see it in person.    

i found 8" a perfect size for me while using ipad mini.   perfect for reading books especially.  7 was too small for me.   i sold my nexus 7 after 2 months!

9" is too costly too.    in fact i am a bit upset there are no new cheap nexus devices.     that is the part i liked the most about them.  price.

• Like 2

I had the 2013 N7 and as an Apple user I can honestly say it's the best mini tablet ever. Did they make a 2014 variant? I can't see them not being smart enough to refresh the N7 as it is the ultimate portable tablet imho.

You just got it and it is a brick?     why?   you broke it?   If not, it is still a good device and you can put Android 5 on it.

i don't see what is your problem?

btw, i think they would have being better releasing 8" and not 9"          though i have to see it in person.    

i found 8" a perfect size for me while using ipad mini.   perfect for reading books especially.  7 was too small for me.   i sold my nexus 7 after 2 months!

9" is too costly too.    in fact i am a bit upset there are no new cheap nexus devices.     that is the part i liked the most about them.  price.

I got it last year. Last week, I would not get pass the Google start screen. I guess, I need to do a ROM change on it.

I got it last year. Last week, I would not get pass the Google start screen. I guess, I need to do a ROM change on it.

Have you tried converting completely back to stock?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2382618

Had issues with my LG G2 not booting properly because of a ROM i was trying.  Had to convert back to stock and start over.  Doesnt happen often, but the price you deal with rooting/customizing your device.  And sometimes, stock just screws up.  And if it is less than a year old, I believe it may still be under warranty.

Anyway, there is almost always a way to unbrick an Android devices these days as long as it is not physical hardware related.  And if it is, maybe you can get a replacement part for cheap.  Warwagon got a S4 that wouldnt work but got a new mobo for $40.

What is the 7" tablet of choice now that Google dropped it? I think it's a perfect size for certain uses.

Have you tried converting completely back to stock?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2382618

Had issues with my LG G2 not booting properly because of a ROM i was trying.  Had to convert back to stock and start over.  Doesnt happen often, but the price you deal with rooting/customizing your device.  And sometimes, stock just screws up.  And if it is less than a year old, I believe it may still be under warranty.

Anyway, there is almost always a way to unbrick an Android devices these days as long as it is not physical hardware related.  And if it is, maybe you can get a replacement part for cheap.  Warwagon got a S4 that wouldnt work but got a new mobo for $40.

He droped the N7 and it just won't boot at all, he even created a thread in here regarding this; somehow his post looks like the N7 is crap when in fact his one just died.

He droped the N7 and it just won't boot at all, he even created a thread in here regarding this; somehow his post looks like the N7 is crap when in fact his one just died.

OP dropped it physically, yes.  The post I was responding to  makes it look like Google dropped selling it and was asking for which 7in android devices was the one of choice.

Thx. That seems to compare specs but not really evaluate the smaller tablets. I forgot about Touchwiz. I previously had Google devices and forgot that the N9 will have 4.5 and the Galaxy S has 4.4 with Touchwiz. Does Touchwiz ruin the Android experience?