Cannot access SMB network shares on Windows 8.1

Hi,

recently, I've found out, I "lost access" to my NAS SMB configured device from Windows 8.1. When trying to access it from Windows Explorer, I get "Windows cannot access \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" (where x's is real network ip). The thing is, I CAN access those shares from:

- other linux computer,

- windows 7 pro

- android phone using ES File Explorer. 

Error that shows is "0x80004005" and I even attached epl file if you can scan through it. 

I've googled a bit and found several ideas to try:

- changing policies in Local Computer Policy

- disabling Antivirus & firewall

- adding registry key IRPStackSize to value 14, 20 etc

- running powershell command as admin:IRPStackSize

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EncryptData $true
Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EncryptData -RejectUnencryptedAccess $false

I have no idea what to do.

Ping works, transmission can be accessed and ftp too. There's only this win 8.1 computer that doesn't want to communicate.

Can someone please tell me what else I can try?

Thank you and best regards

Gregor  :angry:

2A38EBA3-3DAD-420D-8E51-EA5E82A7A431.Diagnose.0.etl.zip

Do you have file and print sharing enabled on the win 8.1 box? Check properties box of your network interface.

Can you access other shares from this 8.1 box? Are you wired or wireless? Is the nas wired or wireless?

These are normally easier to troubleshoot/fix if just do a Team Viewer session.

0x80004005 indicates a generic "Access Denied".  Are you logging into the Windows 8 box with a blank password?

Maybe your NAS doesn't support using a Microsoft account to authenticate - using name@outlook.com to log into 8.1 vs using a local account.  I had this problem with my old QNAP NAS.  Try creating a local account on your PC and use the same credentials on the NAS.

I had this same problem with some our SAN volumes at my work. But only some of them, others are fine. It depends if the SAN (or NAS in your case) supports the new secure SMB mechanism that the new OS' use.

I now have a .reg file that I import on Windows 8 machines that fixes it straight away. If I remember rightly, this disables secure SMB or SMB2 or something like that.

I'm at home now so don't have access to it, but I'll grab it for you tomorrow. Assuming nobody else beats me to it before then.

Update, this might be it as it sounds familiar:

http://www.adamfowlerit.com/2013/05/26/unable-to-map-drives-from-windows-8/

0x80004005 indicates a generic "Access Denied".  Are you logging into the Windows 8 box with a blank password?

Hi. Windows 8.1 has only 1 LOCAL account, no password.

Do you have file and print sharing enabled on the win 8.1 box? Check properties box of your network interface.

Can you access other shares from this 8.1 box? Are you wired or wireless? Is the nas wired or wireless?

File and print sharing is enabled on network interface.

My pc is on network over cable, same goes for NAS device. I agree about TV.

Maybe your NAS doesn't support using a Microsoft account to authenticate - using name@outlook.com to log into 8.1 vs using a local account.  I had this problem with my old QNAP NAS.  Try creating a local account on your PC and use the same credentials on the NAS.

Of course it doesn't. Its set up as everyone on network can access PUBLIC directory with anonymous access. :) I will make another local account and try to access again.

I had this same problem with some our SAN volumes at my work. But only some of them, others are fine. It depends if the SAN (or NAS in your case) supports the new secure SMB mechanism that the new OS' use.

I now have a .reg file that I import on Windows 8 machines that fixes it straight away. If I remember rightly, this disables secure SMB or SMB2 or something like that.

I'm at home now so don't have access to it, but I'll grab it for you tomorrow. Assuming nobody else beats me to it before then.

Update, this might be it as it sounds familiar:

http://www.adamfowlerit.com/2013/05/26/unable-to-map-drives-from-windows-8/

Did most of what your url states except those registry inputs. Going to try those too.

Also called on Microsoft support and, yep.. here's the answer they gave "we don't support 3rd party apps but you can call UK support if they can help you out with that" o_O

Go in credential manager, remove any credentials for the network share and reboot.  Then try to connect again.

No credentials there at all.

Also, tried to create another LOCAL account with password. Same results.

post-292-0-39149300-1413480603.png

Adding: Yes.. i can access raspberry pi SMB without a problem.

If you want to do a TV session more than happy to take a look see. Just PM your info and we can take a quick look see, I would install wireshark before hand so we can do a sniff and see what the NAS is sending back exactly..

Wireshark is free - you can grab it here.. https://www.wireshark.org/download.html

or we can install when I TV in.

All fixed! ;) Port issue.. smb.conf was listening on 443 not 445.. He has some weird issue with his nic that needs to be worked out. But he can access his shares now. TV made it so much easier to see what was going on.

• Like 1

All fixed! ;) Port issue.. smb.conf was listening on 443 not 445.. He has some weird issue with his nic that needs to be worked out. But he can access his shares now. TV made it so much easier to see what was going on.

Show off!

You didn't help me when I was all alone here, you're not the hero I thought  you were :(

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1225735-mapping-linux-drive-to-windows-81-pc/

I kid I kid :P

I would of been more than happy to help in that thread ;) Just didn't see it.. While I do visit that section now and then, its more when nothing else is going on in the other section ;)

If you want me to look into a thread, PM me next time ;)

• Like 1

I would of been more than happy to help in that thread ;) Just didn't see it.. While I do visit that section now and then, its more when nothing else is going on in the other section ;)

If you want me to look into a thread, PM me next time ;)

The funny thing I was going to PM you, but I managed :P  Just starting some friendly conversation. Now.. quit the thread hacking.

Good morning. I'm stil shocked and amazed to see the issue is finally gone, thanks to @BudMan. 

- Wireshark, for start, did show that my NAS is rejecting my Win8.1 machine. 

- Checking Network adapter settings, we've found out, we cannot access ipv4 properties to check IP settings. It said there's no adapter installed/enabled.  :|

- Checking NAS device, there was samba service running, but checking listening ports, 445 wasn't among them.

- Checking smb.conf, listening ports for samba were stated as 443 139. Yes, 443 instead of 445. After switching this to 445 and restarting service, I could access shares from my win8.1.

- I still have to fix no adapter found (google search resulted in removing network adapter from device manager and reinstalling it).

But, I'd like to thank BudMan again for his help. Finally, I've found a sysadmin somewhere just waiting for my problem to pop-up on a forum :) Thank you!

Regards all!  :woot:

I think you have some clean up to do in that network, lots of protocols enabled that prob of no use LLMNR, LLTD.  While these protocols can be of use - security 101 says if not actually using them -- turn them off.  You would of thunk MS would of learned this lesson years ago with IIS, and messenger being on out of the box and all the trouble that caused. 

Sorry but you don't need 3 different transition methods to get to ipv6 from ipv4 on out of the box!!  isatap, teredo and 6to4 -- let the user turn on the one they need if any.

Here to help if you have any questions..  Your systems did seem to be very responsive - got some decent hardware I do believe, and internet connection was solid.  Let us know how that nic error turns out, did you uninstall it and reinstall yet?

• 2 months later...

I am having a similar issue.  I have 3 different NAS.  Buffalo, Drobo & Iomega.  They all appeared under network, the Drobo and Buffalo are still mapped.  I cannot reach the IOmega,  I can ping to it.  I can not resolve to it.  I see it frin frm Windows 7. It worked until this week.

• 2 years later...

hello BUDMAN

Please could you help me ?

I have a oppo multimedia and music / video nice system client which can connect to my shares and usb drives to my windows seven computer, my iomega nas, mysmart  tv, my printer, but bad really bad thing it can't connect to the dual core recent acer computer connected by ethernet with SMB protocols actived 1.0 if i remember

but i have to give you an information the oppo  can connect to the C:  internal drive only of the computer WIN 8.1. I hope you may have an idea of this bad situation because i bought this computer ((8.1) for purposal susic and video shares with my oppo client system which answers by error name/pass altough i tried all credentials possible.

note: ALL other system may acceed to the 8.1 only oppo is a problem but as i said the oppo is aceeding in all other usd drives sharing or nas

So the oppo is not a problem

Thanks ver y much for your help i must conncet to thhis 8.2 PC with pnp servers which does not fits me totally far from this

Best regards

Thanks !

Bill

2 hours ago, BILLASH said:

hello BUDMAN

Please could you help me ?

I have a oppo multimedia and music / video nice system client which can connect to my shares and usb drives to my windows seven computer, my iomega nas, mysmart  tv, my printer, but bad really bad thing it can't connect to the dual core recent acer computer connected by ethernet with SMB protocols actived 1.0 if i remember

but i have to give you an information the oppo  can connect to the C:  internal drive only of the computer WIN 8.1. I hope you may have an idea of this bad situation because i bought this computer ((8.1) for purposal susic and video shares with my oppo client system which answers by error name/pass altough i tried all credentials possible.

note: ALL other system may acceed to the 8.1 only oppo is a problem but as i said the oppo is aceeding in all other usd drives sharing or nas

So the oppo is not a problem

Thanks ver y much for your help i must conncet to thhis 8.2 PC with pnp servers which does not fits me totally far from this

Best regards

Thanks !

Bill

Make your own thread. Please do not necro this old thread....

• Jason S. locked this topic