XP and some annoyances

I am having 1 annoyance with XP (yes, only one). It is:

1. Somehow in My computer, when I open up any drive, they open in their own window (even when I have the dot checked for "open in the same window." I don't know how to fix it or anything.

I had another as I was typing up this post, but I figured it out!! Cool, if someone could help me out on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Goto:

Tools --> Folder Options --> File Types

Then go down to Drive and select Advanced. Then just write down everything it says there and post it here.... you'll probably find it's just to do with the Drive association and so the problem won't happen on normal folders. I have no idea how to fix it right now but we'll see if it's anything obvious.

I had the option checked in the Folder Options Pane.

Here are the items under Drive:

Find

Open (default, I set it to use the application explorer.exe)*****

Open in Command Window Here

I hope we can figure this out.

*****I know this is the problem but i can't delete or edit any of those. HELP!!!

my cousin has a similar problem. whenever he 2x-clicks a drive it will open a command window. if i assosiate open with explorer, it will open in a new window. i dunno how to fix it :(

i got another annoy-xp-situation. I have to set view-icons on control panel everythime, 'cause i always get the list instead of icons view. And yes, i got the 'remeber folders view' enabled.

so odd.

thanks pals.

aniba!

I have another one that I forgot to mention. I hate how the stupid menus do that stupid fade in and out crap. Well, I go to System Properties -> Advanced -> Performance and I uncheck ALL the fade options. Good, done. Well, no. I even go to Appearances unde Display settings and make sure to use the Slide or no affect for menus. Is that it? Sure I think. NOT!! XP is sooooo crappy that is doesn't seem to give a darn if you want something set a certain way or not. It goes ahead and reverts all the settings (even if you press that good old Apply button). It undoes them. It is ****ing me off. I like XP b/c of some features, but for others I might as well put 2000 back on my computer go spend 10000000000 hours getting all the stupid updates for it. And I thought this OS was "user friendly"??? Ummmmm....Not!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

May be you system files are corrupt, it can happen just do a repair installation. It works, the repair process is pretty much like re-installing the XP as it would ask you for the key and all the relevant settings but it the installation time is a bit shorter and all your files will be replaced. Try it, I have done it and it came out alright. You must boot from the CD.

I can send you Windows 1.0 if you wish... it's about 800KB, but you'll need EGA emulator or throw your PC and get some cool, rock stable, lightfast PC on 80286 CPU :)

Open (default, I set it to use the application explorer.exe)*****
I have NO open options at all under the drive so maybe that's your problem. The only options I have are:

Browse with ACDSee (an extra option)

Find

As for XP forgetting settings I'm afraid this is very common.... I read somewhere that even M$ can't figure it out. I have experienced it, the only way to fix it being a format [it makes it sound like I format reguarly.... which I DON'T do].

I can send you Windows 1.0 if you wish... it's about 800KB, but you'll need EGA emulator or throw your PC and get some cool, rock stable, lightfast PC on 80286 CPU

I remember my x086 which fried in an lightning storm.... I'd give you that but I think I chucked it... :( Got a 486 with the insurance though, and finally got to stop playing Lemmings.