PS4 Firmware 2.03

Wait wait wait wait.....    wasn't one of the huge complaints around here last gen that the PS3 always had too many damn updates while MS did it quarterly?

The complaint was they had frequent updates at first that were 600mb everytime and would be like a fix for a typo before they figured out how to just apply incremental patches like MS.  Honestly MS updates have been frequent but  rather large in additions everytime and been around 200mb.  Every patch has had something I wanted.   They have been about adding something good that people want in each update to make people happy where as Sony tends to have patches thats nothing but behind the scene fixes.

This update actaully sounds pretty good but its been 2 weeks and im still waiting for dead ps4 i sent to RMA to come back and hopefully my lord of the rings game that got stuck inside of it...

The complaint was they had frequent updates at first that were 600mb everytime and would be like a fix for a typo before they figured out how to just apply incremental patches like MS.  Honestly MS updates have been frequent but  rather large in additions everytime and been around 200mb.  Every patch has had something I wanted.   They have been about adding something good that people want in each update to make people happy where as Sony tends to have patches thats nothing but behind the scene fixes.

This update actaully sounds pretty good but its been 2 weeks and im still waiting for dead ps4 i sent to RMA to come back and hopefully my lord of the rings game that got stuck inside of it...

Actually the complaints were just because this forums is a microsoft/windows-based forum and your going to have more fans of Microsoft products rather than a general gaming forum where its the opposite.

I would say that it's quite shocking to hear you complain about a PS4 having issues which I've never heard of anyone else having and also issues with Sony RMA, but that would be a lie after reading all your pro-xbox posts and constant negativity on the PS4 you presumably have... Its been 8 months and I'm still waiting for dead xbox one i sent to RMA to come back to me when it spontaneously broke after I tried to use it as a slinky down my staircase because I thought that it would be more entertaining than using the X1 itself.

Actually the complaints were just because this forums is a microsoft/windows-based forum and your going to have more fans of Microsoft products rather than a general gaming forum where its the opposite.

I would say that it's quite shocking to hear you complain about a PS4 having issues which I've never heard of anyone else having and also issues with Sony RMA, but that would be a lie after reading all your pro-xbox posts and constant negativity on the PS4 you presumably have... Its been 8 months and I'm still waiting for dead xbox one i sent to RMA to come back to me when it spontaneously broke after I tried to use it as a slinky down my staircase because I thought that it would be more entertaining than using the X1 itself.

Chill a bit dude, I have a topic on this forum where Sony let me down with an RMA.

And Houtei, 28 days is the turnaround for an RMA with Sony in the UK, at least with the Playstation. If that's global, then you're still within the T&C wait time. It really is best to go back to the retailer you bought from first.

Wait wait wait wait.....    wasn't one of the huge complaints around here last gen that the PS3 always had too many damn updates while MS did it quarterly?

The updates on the PS3 and 360 were somewhat annoying, but on the Xbox One it pretty much installs them unattended. I'm assuming PS4 does the same.

The updates on the PS3 and 360 were somewhat annoying, but on the Xbox One it pretty much installs them unattended. I'm assuming PS4 does the same.

Yep, all automated.

I was also thinking about this over the weekend. Why is this still not a feature?

I am curious, why does it need to be a feature?

If you launch a game that requires an internet connection, the download does pause and resumes once you exit the game.

So I am trying to envision why else it would be a feature people felt was needed. Bandwidth caps perhaps?

Really am asking sincerely, as I just am not coming up with any reasons why it is needed besides bandwidth caps.

I am curious, why does it need to be a feature?

If you launch a game that requires an internet connection, the download does pause and resumes once you exit the game.

So I am trying to envision why else it would be a feature people felt was needed. Bandwidth caps perhaps?

Really am asking sincerely, as I just am not coming up with any reasons why it is needed besides bandwidth caps.

It seems the two cases where it is needed is likely bandwidth caps (though less likely so) and shared bandwidth scenarios. Since most people don't have QoS setups at home they are left with all full saturation impacting other users and services. I guess putting limits on this would help them to reduce the impact on others in the household.

I too wouldn't understand why we would need a pause option, but if it's easy and some people have a need/want for it, bring it I guess.

It seems the two cases where it is needed is likely bandwidth caps (though less likely so) and shared bandwidth scenarios. Since most people don't have QoS setups at home they are left with all full saturation impacting other users and services. I guess putting limits on this would help them to reduce the impact on others in the household.

That, and when you have multiple updates or entire games downloading at the same time, I want to be able to pause some so that I can prioritize my download speed. I want to download only the updates or games that I want to play now. But the way it is now, it downloads everything at the same time. I'd rather download one update for the game I want to play now in 10 minutes, rather than download everything and play in 20.

• Like 3

That, and when you have multiple updates or entire games downloading at the same time, I want to be able to pause some so that I can prioritize my download speed. I want to download only the updates or games that I want to play now. But the way it is now, it downloads everything at the same time. I'd rather download one update for the game I want to play now in 10 minutes, rather than download everything and play in 20.

^ same boat here.

DLNA support is the reason I don't have a PS4 yet, and I know I'm not the only one!! Come on guys, make this my media hub again!!! PLEEEEZ!!!

Although I do agree with you, I'm in no hurry for this, the ps3 version does mess up, moreso than the 360 does (I can't remember how many times I used to have to delete my app data for media player, and rebuild, rinse repeat), also if you really need it back, why not buy a used 360 and only use it for the dlna feature? (I did, and it has the added bonus of ignoring cinavia, I was told the x1 does too, but cannot confirm this as I haven't got one)

Okay that makes sense. I can see that. I honestly never see any of the updates as they all install overnight for me. The only time I see a download is when I launch a game that needs an update, so that I want then since I am launching the game. But if you are seeing this scenario often, that makes sense. I just never see it fortunately.

The complaint was they had frequent updates at first that were 600mb everytime and would be like a fix for a typo before they figured out how to just apply incremental patches like MS.  Honestly MS updates have been frequent but  rather large in additions everytime and been around 200mb.

600mb?  What?  Considering the most current firmware is 197mb (http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm) and is the full firmware, this is totally untrue.

More firmware info (which includes file sizes for each firmware update and patch): http://www.ps3devwiki.com/ps3/System_Firmware

Because the thread is now discussing a 360 more than the actual update itself? This is a Sony Thread about a Sony update, there's nothing stopping someone making a discussion in the general gaming area if people want to compare features and functionality of platforms.

Post On Topic. 
Please post on topic and within the subject area of the subforum. If your topic does not fit, please use our General Discussions area. If you have questions on the correct content area, please PM a moderator.

Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention to your post. This is an English speaking site, and we expect all posts to be in English. Links must resolve to other English speaking sites.
  • Like 4

^ same boat here.

Add me to that boat! With 3mb internet I need to pause large updates when they aren't convienent.

With 8GB and a large OS reserve Sony will add everything we want. Unlike the PS3 which they had to add so much to whilst working with a tiny memory pool, the PS4 has the hardware to support OS expansion to a high level. Its just a case of waiting on the ever slow SCEJ.

I have a feeling pausing downloads may be in this update. They've said on the blog something's haven't been shared, and as we know with Sony they do frequently do stealth changes.

With 8GB and a large OS reserve Sony will add everything we want. Unlike the PS3 which they had to add so much to whilst working with a tiny memory pool, the PS4 has the hardware to support OS expansion to a high level.

That is a big reason why I'm excited by the next gen consoles. Sony made a real effort to craft a more flexible OS that could evolve more easily as time goes on. The ps4 is powerful hardware, so trying to minimize any software limitations is a good thing. We are talking about the equivalent to a mid range pc, why not allow it to do all sorts of things, even outside the realm of gaming specifically.

I'm looking forward to updates though, Sony just needs to keep fans in the loop.

I just want MKV support and support for external storage devices that are formatted with something (anything!) that can hold files bigger than 4GB.

MKV support will likely come with DLNA support.  DLNA is all but official confirmed, just not in 2.0.  I'd be very surprised if it didn't arrive within the year.

External storage is something entirely different though if you mean for playing games and everything.  I think Sony feels that having an easily replaceable HDD is the counterpoint to that and so it's a very low priority.  If it comes at all I wouldn't expect it within the next year.  The exception is just playing media off a device so if you just want external storage to hold your movies and music then that may come with DLNA and such as well.  I would expect Sony to support exFAT since they have a license from MS for it and it's what SD Cards over 32GB (SDXC) use.

Topic Cleaned AGAIN

Come on guys we cannot win here, Mod's clean ALL controversial posts and a complaint is raised because of heavy hands. A mod PARTLY cleans a thread and is complained because he missed some controversial posts.

At the very least...

Respect Moderator Decisions. 
Threads and posts questioning the actions or decisions of forum moderations will be deleted on sight, and the appropriate action taken (up to and including forum bans) against the thread starter and/or participants. However, as a member you reserve the right to PM any moderator, supervisor or administrator regarding action taken at Neowin.

If you feel something was removed that shouldn't have been or vice versa... use the report button or PM the mod involved, a GMOD or a Super.

Lets put a line in the sand here and carry on with the discussion on the topic itself rather than drag out how evil the mods are  :devil:

• Like 1