Does any of this actually matter as much in the grand scheme of things (other than fan wars between each other), both systems don't look like they'll be around for the long run though.   They both also have small and pretty weak libraries at this time, 2015 will change that a bit but that just means people who can wait will wait and those with a good PC will just play all the multiplatform games on that going forward.  

One thing that doesn't look good, at this time, is that Nintendo is the console loser, they could be forced to release a new Wii or whatever they want to call it, soon though for now they seem to be fine with churning out silly limited edition DS' though I question how long that'll keep working for them.

Does any of this actually matter as much in the grand scheme of things (other than fan wars between each other), both systems don't look like they'll be around for the long run though.   They both also have small and pretty weak libraries at this time, 2015 will change that a bit but that just means people who can wait will wait and those with a good PC will just play all the multiplatform games on that going forward.  

One thing that doesn't look good, at this time, is that Nintendo is the console loser, they could be forced to release a new Wii or whatever they want to call it, soon though for now they seem to be fine with churning out silly limited edition DS' though I question how long that'll keep working for them.

It matters when you're "winning", it doesn't matter when you're "losing" seems to be how things generally go on messageboards.

Realistically it's just interesting to see how similar consoles sell versus each other and why. Whether it's pricing, features, support and so forth. The gaming industry proves over and over blind loyalty doesn't emerge victorious (360 beating PS3 off of PS2, WiiU dying off of Wii as they didn't reinvent enough - Should have focussed on better online components and went region free).

Realistically it's just interesting to see how similar consoles sell versus each other and why. Whether it's pricing, features, support and so forth. The gaming industry proves over and over blind loyalty doesn't emerge victorious (360 beating PS3 off of PS2, WiiU dying off of Wii as they didn't reinvent enough - Should have focussed on better online components and went region free).

The PS3 picked up the pace considerably after a few years, which is likely to happen here as well as the game libraries expand.

It matters when you're "winning", it doesn't matter when you're "losing" seems to be how things generally go on messageboards.

pssst...  PS3 caught up and passed it.  Now the Wii, on the other hand.....

What I would love to see is firstly sales globally and if possible sales globally for PS3 vs PS4 and XB360 vs XB1  over the same time span. I think most people know it seems that the PS4 is way ahead in most countries (if not all) that both are available in which seems to generate most of the news, because it keeps the fans arguing over which is the better platform (Sales matters in that right?).

Instead of focusing on what I believe is the more ultimately better and more positive news in that sales of each platform is outselling its older counterpart by quite some margin.

EDIT: and no, looking for any positive has nothing to do with me owning the loosing console  :rofl:

The PS3 picked up the pace considerably after a few years, which is likely to happen here as well as the game libraries expand.

For the PS4 to pick up pace you mean?  I don't think so in this case, it's going to sell good as it has been to start but taper off compared to the PS3 which had it's first few years of weak sales.    As much of a boost as the new systems bring to gaming overall the console market is, IMO, limited and not actually growing compared to other gaming platforms, we've seen posts saying PC gaming did better last year iirc?  Also I'm pretty sure smartphone/tablet gaming, numbers wise mind you, has blown past what the consoles pull in.    

This is really why you see both Sony and MS expand what the hardware can offer and make them from pure game only units to overall media centers, regardless of what Sony says at the start they're doing it with the PS4, just slower than what MS has done.

What I would love to see is firstly sales globally and if possible sales globally for PS3 vs PS4 and XB360 vs XB1  over the same time span. I think most people know it seems that the PS4 is way ahead in most countries (if not all) that both are available in which seems to generate most of the news, because it keeps the fans arguing over which is the better platform (Sales matters in that right?).

Instead of focusing on what I believe is the more ultimately better and more positive news in that sales of each platform is outselling its older counterpart by quite some margin.

EDIT: and no, looking for any positive has nothing to do with me owning the loosing console  :rofl:

To start they're both selling better then they're older version but the question I have is where will they end as a whole.     Last gen saw a combined unit sales of all 3 consoles at around 280-290million, and that was mostly off of the back of huge Wii sales which the Wii U isn't going to match, ever.    So in 6 or so years from now, or whenever the next next-gen consoles come out, I'd like to see where that number goes for combined PS4/XB1 and WIi U unit sales because I have a feeling it'll actually be lower at this point.

To start they're both selling better then they're older version but the question I have is where will they end as a whole.     Last gen saw a combined unit sales of all 3 consoles at around 280-290million, and that was mostly off of the back of huge Wii sales which the Wii U isn't going to match, ever.    So in 6 or so years from now, or whenever the next next-gen consoles come out, I'd like to see where that number goes for combined PS4/XB1 and WIi U unit sales because I have a feeling it'll actually be lower at this point.

I think you will probably be right on that, I think we will see a "next gen" even quicker than the previous have happened. I also expect because of the disappointment in games not being as "next gen" as some people expected, we might also see prices around the XB1 release or potentially higher from both consoles. This will be as they try and get a bit more power into their consoles to avoid any disappointment. 

Here you go:

XboxOnevsXbox360ndashMonthly-September20

PS4vsPS3ndashMonthly-September2014Update

Both of these charts are from VGChartz.com which isn't the most respected of sites but the big problem with them is that they try to predict current/future sales figures based on the data they have and then revise it after the fact when more data is released. As long as you know and understand that their data can still be useful and especially in this case where we are only dealing with historic numbers it should be pretty close.

• Like 2

For the PS4 to pick up pace you mean?

No.  For the weaker selling console to.  MS is likely to pick up a hell of a lot as their game library expands...it was pretty damn poor earlier.

This is really why you see both Sony and MS expand what the hardware can offer and make them from pure game only units to overall media centers, regardless of what Sony says at the start they're doing it with the PS4, just slower than what MS has done.

Making consoles from "pure game only units to overall media centers" isn't something that's new. That's what the PlayStation has been about from the beginning. The original PlayStation was able to play SACD and was highly prized by audiophiles as one of the cheapest devices that could do so well. By today's standards that might not sound so great but back then that was a pretty bleeding edge multimedia capability. (they didn't have internet streaming video back then)

With the PS2 Sony introduced DVDs which made it a pretty darn good movie player, in addition to one of the best Audio players (still supporting SACD).

The PS3 added Blu-Ray and was one of the best Blu-Ray players of it's day since it was updatable to the latest of the constantly changing Blu-Ray specs. The PS3 is also a first class streaming device with DNLA support and streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime. In fact at one point the PS3 was the #1 device used for streaming Netflix.

PlayStation has ALWAYS been an overall media center relative to it's time (clearing the original PlayStation wasn't streaming video) and no PlayStation generation has EVER been "a pure game only unit." What MS messed up was that they pitched it as a media center over a gaming box AT LAUNCH. Sony pitched it to hard core gamers FIRST (not exclusively). People don't pay $400+ for media centers. There aren't a ton of "media center" early adopters that run out and buy the latest console hardware. Heck they didn't even have all the media center capabilities of the prior gen consoles AT LAUNCH so why would you pitch to that group at all? Hard core gamers DO line up to buy the latest consoles and they DO spend $400+ on the latest gaming devices (heck PC gamers spend that much on just the gfx card) so that's where your LAUNCH marketing SHOULD go with the "media center" stuff coming along later.

In terms of media center capabilities the current gen consoles don't even offer much over the prior gen. Heck Sony doesn't even have DLNA implemented on the PS4. They didn't introduce a new disc media (BDXL?), they aren't the first console to stream multimedia (Pandora, Neflix, Amazon Prime, etc. were all on prior gen), they just aren't that big of an improvement over the prior gen. in a strictly media center capacity and it's not clear if they ever will be. They'll likely end up doing about the same things as last gen did in that respect.

Making consoles from "pure game only units to overall media centers" isn't something that's new. That's what the PlayStation has been about from the beginning. The original PlayStation was able to play SACD and was highly prized by audiophiles as one of the cheapest devices that could do so well. By today's standards that might not sound so great but back then that was a pretty bleeding edge multimedia capability. (they didn't have internet streaming video back then)

With the PS2 Sony introduced DVDs which made it a pretty darn good movie player, in addition to one of the best Audio players (still supporting SACD).

The PS3 added Blu-Ray and was one of the best Blu-Ray players of it's day since it was updatable to the latest of the constantly changing Blu-Ray specs. The PS3 is also a first class streaming device with DNLA support and streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime. In fact at one point the PS3 was the #1 device used for streaming Netflix.

PlayStation has ALWAYS been an overall media center relative to it's time (clearing the original PlayStation wasn't streaming video) and no PlayStation generation has EVER been "a pure game only unit." What MS messed up was that they pitched it as a media center over a gaming box AT LAUNCH. Sony pitched it to hard core gamers FIRST (not exclusively). People don't pay $400+ for media centers. There aren't a ton of "media center" early adopters that run out and buy the latest console hardware. Heck they didn't even have all the media center capabilities of the prior gen consoles AT LAUNCH so why would you pitch to that group at all? Hard core gamers DO line up to buy the latest consoles and they DO spend $400+ on the latest gaming devices (heck PC gamers spend that much on just the gfx card) so that's where your LAUNCH marketing SHOULD go with the "media center" stuff coming along later.

In terms of media center capabilities the current gen consoles don't even offer much over the prior gen. Heck Sony doesn't even have DLNA implemented on the PS4. They didn't introduce a new disc media (BDXL?), they aren't the first console to stream multimedia (Pandora, Neflix, Amazon Prime, etc. were all on prior gen), they just aren't that big of an improvement over the prior gen. in a strictly media center capacity and it's not clear if they ever will be. They'll likely end up doing about the same things as last gen did in that respect.

You know, nothing I said in the comment you quoted counters that wall of text you replied with.   I said they're both doing it, I didn't say they're both doing it starting now.   Either way, the PSX played audio, all well and good but you really think that's something the majority of people who got one bothered to use it for?  I mean I got it for the games, it was games first, and oh yeah we can play audio CDs.   They pushed DVD playback in the PS2 a bit more but it was never core to what they really wanted to do, and IMO it wasn't that good of a DVD player either, not with Sony's track record of optical drive miss-steps.   I went through 2 PSXs due to burned out optical drives and 2 PS2s with the same issue, my cousin went through 4 PS2s back in the day, all drive errors.   It really wasn't till the PS3 and BD that they tried to actually push it hard as more than a game system, but that had more to do with Sony wanting it's spanking new optical media to win over the competition.

At the end of the day, you're just agreeing with my point, console gaming, as far as how many units get sold through the live of a system (6-8years), is something that hasn't really grown overall, from what I've seen.  So they're desperately trying to bring in casual gamers with pushing other things more and more besides gaming. 

Really good post.

I think it says a lot the PS4 is the best selling console of all time in it's first year (pretty sure it beat the Wii) and it currently still lacks DLNA, and didn't introduce anything new over the PS3 in terms of media. Netflix, Amazon, and everything else was/is on the PS3.

Its clearly the gamers who are buying it, without DLNA a multimedia buyer wouldn't even touch it.

I don't know if the Halo collection will be a system seller, since it's games people already have.  It might be.

Like Titanfall it will be a hit for a while. Big releases always are. But it's not big enough to last. It wont make a lot people who hesitate decide to buy an xbox one. I love Halo and i'm torn between the PS4 and One but since i already played those games it wont make a difference in my decision.

I didn't say they're both doing it starting now.

I thought I narrowed down your quote pretty well to what I was responding to but I'll go down further with respect to the above:

"make them from pure game only units to overall media centers"

If you're making something FROM PURE GAME ONLY UNITS to overall media centers then that means you're saying prior ones were pure game only units and the new ones are being made into overall media centers does it not? My point was that this is incorrect as the PlayStation has NEVER been a "pure game only unit" and I supported said argument in that "wall of text" instead of just making an unsubstantiated claim.

In fact this generation has the WORST multimedia advances. The PS1 was a great audio player and introduced CDs to gaming. PS2 introduced DVD movies, PS3 introduced Blu-Rays and streaming audio/video services, what does the Xbox One and PS4 introduce? Someone may want to say physical media is done and streaming is the future but streaming was covered last gen already too so there really isn't anything new for multimedia in the current gen devices.

Either way, the PSX played audio, all well and good but you really think that's something the majority of people who got one bothered to use it for?

Yes, the PSX played audio, that may seem trivial now but back in 94/95 multimedia was primarily analog still so having a game console play music was a pretty big deal. Some Asian models even played Video CDs I believe and they later added SoundScope for music visualization. At the time CDs were a new format (to consoles especially) so yeah the PS1 was used to push CDs just as much as the PS2 was to push DVDs and the PS3 to push Blu-Rays... that didn't start with the PS3. With the PS3 the high price of the blue lasers burned them and Blu-Ray got a lot of press for the high console price and thus slow adoption. Sony has always wanted to push their music and videos formats with their consoles in addition to their games. Heck the PS2 even had a variant called the PlayStation X that had TV tuners and DVR functionality. As for if the majority of people used those capabilities or not are you saying a majority of people are using some great NEW multimedia capabilities of the newest console generation? Multimedia capabilities are are not new and are STILL secondary to gaming on consoles.

Really good post.

I think it says a lot the PS4 is the best selling console of all time in it's first year (pretty sure it beat the Wii) and it currently still lacks DLNA, and didn't introduce anything new over the PS3 in terms of media. Netflix, Amazon, and everything else was/is on the PS3.

Its clearly the gamers who are buying it, without DLNA a multimedia buyer wouldn't even touch it.

I dont think the lack of dlna had a big impact, even on 'multimedia buyers' (does that mean people that do everything but game or people that do both?). Bluray was a much larger impact for the ps3 since it was the only device capable of playing back the new hot movie format at such a reasonable price compared to other players. DLNA is not nearly on the same level as BluRay was. Its a niche feature. There are a lot of us that like the feature, but not a lot of us that value that feature as a deal breaker.

The ps4 launched with enough media features to get it started. The first year of these consoles is filled with the hardcore and enthusiast buyer. Since both consoles offered the same disc format support, there was little outside of gaming that seperated the two. Sony had the better gaming console, so it got the majority of hardcore gamers.

As someone who pre-ordered both consoles the first day they were on Amazon, I am quite curious why the PS4 is selling so well. (I think the XB1 is selling fine, but the PS4 is selling exceptionally well). I bought both of them because I would have done so eventually and figured I might as well get them quick. But outside of some media features on the XB1, what does either console offer over its successor at this point with the game library being so bare. Surely not everyone is like me and just buys tech stuff because they can...

As someone who pre-ordered both consoles the first day they were on Amazon, I am quite curious why the PS4 is selling so well. (I think the XB1 is selling fine, but the PS4 is selling exceptionally well). I bought both of them because I would have done so eventually and figured I might as well get them quick. But outside of some media features on the XB1, what does either console offer over its successor at this point with the game library being so bare. Surely not everyone is like me and just buys tech stuff because they can...

I think it stems from previous gen momentum. Microsoft ruined theirs with the whole controversy after E3 and I think it's causing 360 owners to just wait until there are enough games to make the jump worth it, whereas nothing impeded momentum towards the PS4, so PS3 owners are flocking to it quicker. I think things will even out as usual once the generation gets on in years.

• Like 2

The PS4 currently has 129 games available to purchase and play on the PS4 right now and the Xbox One has 90.

Here are some of the bigger releases;

Destiny

Shadow of Mordor

Need for Speed: Rivals

Plants VS Zombies: Garden Warfare

Watch Dogs

Battlefield 4

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Fifa 14/15

Diablo 3

Assassins Creed

Oddworld

Killzone

Driveclub

Infamous

Titanfall

The Last of Us

Metal Gear Solid

Madden NFL

Warframe

Forza

Wolfenstein

etc..

Both consoles now have a large selection of games, lots are small indie games but there is quite a few big releases also.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games

PS4 has 387 confirmed games and the Xbox One has 294 confirmed games coming to the consoles so the games library is expanding fairly rapidly also.