South Korea Prepares for 10Gbps Broadband; Transfer 1GB File in 0.8 Seconds

South Korea Prepares for 10Gbps Broadband; Transfer 1GB File in 0.8 Seconds

While AT&T and Verizon argue over an FCC proposal that would set 10Mbps as America?s new minimum speed to qualify as ?broadband,? South Korea is positioning itself to introduce 10Gbps fiber service.

SK Broadband will introduce its new 10 gigabit per second Internet service at the Oct. 20 Plenipotentiary Conference of the International Telecommunications Union to be held at Busan?s BEXCO Center, in partnership with the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning and the National Information Society Agency.

With the latest advances in broadband technology coming mostly from Asian countries like Japan and South Korea, citizens of both countries are proud of the fact they are way ahead of the United States.

?In the 1960s the world watched NASA send men to the moon and many of us grew up amazed at the constant advancements of the Americans,? said Natsuki Kumagai. ?Now the Americans watch us.?

?In my travels to the United States, it is very plain they have lost their way in advancing broadband technology,? said Pyon Seo-Ju. ?Internet access is terribly slow and expensive because American politicians have sacrificed Americas?s technology leadership to protect conglomerates and allow them to flourish. Although unfortunate for America, this has given Korea a chance to promote our own industry and enhance the success of companies like Samsung that are well-known in the United States today.?

SK Broadband says its 10Gbps will be 100 times faster than Korea?s current average broadband speed of 100Mbps. Downloading a 1GB file takes 80 seconds with Korea?s average broadband connection today. SK?s new 10Gbps service will download the same file in 0.8 seconds.

The broadband company?s booth doesn?t hold back touting its global leadership in broadband, with the slogan ?World?s Fastest, World?s First? seen throughout the conference center.

sk-10-gig.jpg

Source

I upgraded to 100mbps yesterday, though they still have to bring the new modem which they're doing Wednesday. Limited by older modem but it was still cool seeing a filesize that usually takes about 30 minutes finish in about 5 minutes.

We cut the tv service, switched to streaming only for the family(reason to also upgrade the internet service), it ends up being the same price but with a much faster internet service, I use the internet the most so biggest win for me. ;)