File permission woes

Hi guys I hope someone can help me!

I have a server set up at home serving out files to PC's but am getting absolutely nowhere with my security permissions!

What I am trying to achieve on one share for example is so that 'Everyone' can read the files within the share and members of the 'Administrators' group can have full control.

In the sharing permissions I have 'Everyone' read only and 'Administrators' full control, likewise in the security settings. However even admins only seem to have read only permission as they are unable to change or delete files! The only way I have found to over come this so far is to add the actual username of an account into the settings and give them full control and it works! I want to control it via groups though and not on an individual account basis.

Images attached of my setup.

post-530125-0-47342800-1413668215.png

post-530125-0-56207300-1413668216.png

If I log onto the server remotely using on of the accounts in the admins group I can create and modify files no problem (in this instance the account is Cameron) but then when accessing from my PC I cannot modify them. It says I need permission from 'Cameron' even though I am logged onto the server using the credentials for that account.

post-530125-0-37063800-1413668217.png

Hope that all makes sense, thanks for any help  :)

Cam.

Here is the thing - if you give everyone read only..  That is what you will connect at, even if your an admin in a group.

this has been an issue since I can remember  You will find it is common practice to give share permissions full control.  And then control with ntfs permission the finer grain control.

So set your shares to everyone full, then define the permission on the files and folders with ntfs how you actually want them.  To be honest I have been doing windows administration since 3.11 and can count on 1 hand when I have ever needed to create special share permissions..  NTFS permissions is where you set your control - share is just a way to get there, it caused some short time grief when MS changed the default share to read only - was that 2k or 2k3 server?  Been pretty much ignoring share permissions since NT3.51, NT4, and all they way up to 2k12 ;)

Also the deny right overrides the allow right, so do not use deny unless you absolutely need to. I can count on one had how many times I have had to use deny. What budman says is on the money.