[NSFW] Hatred (Video Game): Is This Too Far?

Oh good heavens, another "murder simulator".

From the look of the main character you kinda feel the age of the developers, that long-hair metalhead thing that ain't hip now at all. I bursted in laughter when I saw him. :D Call it "Danzig Kills" or "90's Angst", it'll sound more friendly and won't shake these soft PC people's feathers.

Sounds like my kind of game. 

Ive seen much much worse games then this, and there is certainly much worse things on tv and in the cinema. 

I've seen much worse things than this game, doesn't mean this game isn't complete trash. 

It looks like a really unimpressive game, if you remove the premise and the gore, what's left? 

I would actually NOT have a concern if it was developed by neo-nazis, and would actually encourage them to have the protagonist wear a red Nazi armband to clearly identify such. Everyone knows their antisocial sociopathic misfits. It's actually having the protagonist be an unaffiliated "person" just fed up, that allows anyone to identify and immerse themselves in it that is more disturbing. Still, in today's world, it's OK. Just distasteful. The trailer sticking a gun in a defenseless woman's mouth and blowing her head off is actually more disturbing to me than the game, lol.

Now that is just silly. When was the last time a neo-nazi went on a shooting spree?

That's what I'd be concerned with, and the main reason I would not support such a game. The game is fantasy, the people who created it are real. I dislike anything associated with real life bigots, racists or simply morons.

If not true, then I would just ignore the game if I didn't want to play it. I'm not put off by violence, blood, gore, or any fantasized acts - Movies have been far more descriptive, explicit and boundary pushing than games for a long time. I do agree as games are interactive they cannot be compared to movies 1:1, however the actual acts that actors carry out are just as brutal if not more so than in gaming. People fantasize in dreams about being actors/fictional characters just as much as lead protagonists in games I'd bet. Just because something is interactive doesn't mean it will heighten fantasizing alone.

Gaming has the unfortunate scars of the media going bonkers to pin real life crimes on them. So in most cases developers shy away from telling tales similar to some of the most profound movies in fear of being associated with horrendous crimes. 

See I imagine unlike a decent amount of people here, I have real interactions with the Neo Nazi movement, and none of them are positive in the slightest.

Without going to far into the details, I was a pretty big part of the NJ Punk Rock and Hardcore scene in the late 80's through the 90's. Although most of the scene was far from racists, there was a small subset from South NJ that identified themselves as Neo Nazis. To counter those, a group known as S.H.A.R.P., or Skin Heads Against Racial Prejudice was formed. There were fights between the groups. A whole lot of them. The nazi's would even go as far as to pretend they had fake unknown bands that were normal and then would show up to spread their message of hate. It was quite an interesting time to say the least, and I got to see first hand not only how dumb these types of groups were, but how impressionable the kids were that followed them. I met a girl who associated herself with these groups. She was good looking. Seemed smart, but it turns out she was not.

Was a weird time, and I saw a lot of violence up close and personal, so perhaps I identify more with being anti neo-nazi then most people. I was actively so for quite some time.

And just playing Devil's advocate here, as I agree for the most part what is the difference between games and movies, however I will say movies are a passive experience. Games are an active experience. I think that is the biggest differential between the two.

See I imagine unlike a decent amount of people here, I have real interactions with the Neo Nazi movement, and none of them are positive in the slightest.

Without going to far into the details, I was a pretty big part of the NJ Punk Rock and Hardcore scene in the late 80's through the 90's. Although most of the scene was far from racists, there was a small subset from South NJ that identified themselves as Neo Nazis. To counter those, a group known as S.H.A.R.P., or Skin Heads Against Racial Prejudice was formed. There were fights between the groups. A whole lot of them. The nazi's would even go as far as to pretend they had fake unknown bands that were normal and then would show up to spread their message of hate. It was quite an interesting time to say the least, and I got to see first hand not only how dumb these types of groups were, but how impressionable the kids were that followed them. I met a girl who associated herself with these groups. She was good looking. Seemed smart, but it turns out she was not.

Was a weird time, and I saw a lot of violence up close and personal, so perhaps I identify more with being anti neo-nazi then most people. I was actively so for quite some time.

And just playing Devil's advocate here, as I agree for the most part what is the difference between games and movies, however I will say movies are a passive experience. Games are an active experience. I think that is the biggest differential between the two.

The documentary by Louis Theroux and the neonazis is a good watch 

Think those youtube links only works in America (posted both as I can't check quality).

or

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395644/

Nothing wrong with playing a murder simulator.

I didn't see the part in the vid where the SWAT team fired 20 lbs of metal into the player character?

IMO, this game should not be be published or distributed.

Anders Breivik in 2011?

Don't remember him being one and a quick scan of Wikipedia (I know) says he wasn't. Did he identify himself as one? Regardless, the majority of them aren't neo-nazis (if any).

Don't remember him being one and a quick scan of Wikipedia (I know) says he wasn't. Did he identify himself as one? Regardless, the majority of them aren't neo-nazis (if any).

From Wikipedia:

On the day of the attacks, Breivik electronically distributed a compendium of texts entitled 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, describing his far-right militant ideology.

The bold phrase equals neo-nazi.

For other examples of neo-nazi violence see anything by Golden Dawn in Greece.

From Wikipedia:

Also from Wikipedia:

Thomas Hegghammer of the Norwegian Defence Research Establishment has described the ideologies of Breivik as "not fitting the established categories of right-wing ideology, like white supremacism, ultranationalism or Christian fundamentalism", but more akin to macro-nationalism and a "new doctrine of civilisational war".[164] Norwegian social scientist Lars Gule characterised Breivik as a "national conservative, not a Nazi".[165] Pepe Egger of the think-tank Exclusive Analysis says "the bizarre thing is that his ideas, as Islamophobic as they are, are almost mainstream in many European countries."

Anyway, even if he is one and there are maybe others, that's still a minority of shooters. Most importantly though, what would labeling the protagonist in the game do, other than create a fuzzy feeling of us vs them, when in reality is not that easy to tell who will lose the plot and go on a rampage.

If detractors wanted to discourage the popularity of this game they sure did a heck of a job by creating this "outrage" and "controversy" thereby giving the developers just what they wanted, free publicity.  I'm sure if everyone just chilled out and ignored the damn game (good or bad) it would have been a niche product and most of us would probably never had heard of it.  And by trying to censor it, ban it or discussion on game forums, it just creates more intrigue and more people flocking to see what its all about.

Now that its out there let the marketplace decide. If its good and people feel it isn't over-the-top outrageous they may purchase it; if it offends their sensibilities more power to them and they'll just not purchase it, no one is forcing them to play the game.  Simple. 

Liked the look of thr game, however when game creators go straight for the controversy angle, you've got to wonder what they're making up for.

Now that is just silly. When was the last time a neo-nazi went on a shooting spree?

Larry brought up the Neo-Nazis as it relates to the hatred aspect. Neo-nazis commit hate crimes on a regular basis. If it's not in your area/State you probably don't hear about it. There's more to hate than mass shooting sprees, that would be too easy. That is why I would prefer if it was Neo-nazi sponsored they identified themselves as such. The Neo-nazis are more or less, controlled and recognized. It's the lone-wolf going nuts that's more of a realistic threat.

Looks lame. Like a game made by a teenager that thinks black/death metal is cool and defines itself from total insecurity.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with playing a murder simulator.

Just like theres nothing wrong with playing Truck simulator or Goat Simulator.

Its when you go full retard and snap and do that crap for real, thats when it becomes a problem.

What about a Pedophile Simulator... or a 9/11 Simulator, or a Kill Immigrants Simulator or a Torture Black People Simulator....

I mean, sure it's all virtual, but I think at some point this kind of stuff tips beyond simply being in bad taste.

• Like 1

What about a Pedophile Simulator... or a 9/11 Simulator, or a Kill Immigrants Simulator or a Torture Black People Simulator....

I mean, sure it's all virtual, but I think at some point this kind of stuff tips beyond simply being in bad taste.

When are those coming out? I need to pre-order  :laugh:

• Like 3

The enemies in Manhunt were murdering pyschopaths not civilians.

No worse than GTA[1,2,3,VC,SA,4,5,..] or Postal

And in those games it is fun to kill people

Larry brought up the Neo-Nazis as it relates to the hatred aspect. Neo-nazis commit hate crimes on a regular basis. If it's not in your area/State you probably don't hear about it. There's more to hate than mass shooting sprees, that would be too easy. That is why I would prefer if it was Neo-nazi sponsored they identified themselves as such. The Neo-nazis are more or less, controlled and recognized. It's the lone-wolf going nuts that's more of a realistic threat.

Yeah, he said some of the developers are neo-nazis, but that doesn't have anything to do with the protagonist in the trailer, as he doesn't act like one. I just don't see what is the point of putting a swastika on the character.

I haven't bothered to read anyone else's replies, so sue me!

Watching the video, I got a 'Dead Nation' (but instead of zombies, kill humans) vibe, so I'd probably buy it :p

And if anything, here's an example of a video game copying life (very loosely, I'll admit)

Sad thing is, someone somewhere will probably cry out the old 'think of the children' statement, or some deranged maniac will say he/she was inspired by the game yadda yadda yadda.

• Like 1

Does Westboro fall under that category??

(Curious, as technically they do spout a lot of hatered)

Does Westboro fall under that category??

(Curious, as technically they do spout a lot of hatered)

Yeah. They hate homosexuals under the guise of Christianity. The only difference being they have no history of acting it out in mass or isolated acts of violence against those they choose to hate. You can actually hate whatever/whomever you like, it's acting upon that hatred in an unlawful manner that becomes a crime.

Edit: It's been a while since I've seen or heard anything from them, but if I recall correctly they may have carried signs that say homosexuals should die and what not, so that would be encouraging violence based on hate.