An opinion about a new build for gaming PC

Hi all,

Limited by mid-range budget, I've chosen parts for my gaming PC.

I'd like to hear your opinions about the composition. Maybe, in the same budget, i can improve something what I haven't thought of.

Here's the deal:

• Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-h97m-d3h

• CPU: Intel i5 4590 (socket 1150, up to 1600MHz RAM)

• GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X

• RAM: G.Skill F3-1600C9D-8GAB (2x4GB, 1600MHz, 9-9-9 tested latency)

• Hard drive: Corsair Force GS 128GB SSD

• PSU: SeaSonic S12G-550 550W SSR-550RT 80+ GOLD Certified

Well, that're all the significant parts I'd love to hear your opinions about.

Thanks in advance!

Seasonic is the best PSU in my opinion. However, given that your R9 280x is such a power-hungry card, I would feel more comfortable with a PSU in the 600w to 750w range. But that's just me. Good luck with your decision.

r9280x.jpg

w10

snip

Why would link the bitmining chart? That is not a normal usage scenario. Even so, that still leaves ~300W for the rest of the system.. These PSUs will also be able to go above rated wattage in a pinch, though not for long.

Biggest change I see at a glance is the PSU. Get the modular version. And maybe get a different brand of SSD, like the Crucial MX100.

^^

this

and bag the corsair ssd

MX100 is best value / performance at the moment

Why would link the bitmining chart? That is not a normal usage scenario. Even so, that still leaves ~300W for the rest of the system.. These PSUs will also be able to go above rated wattage in a pinch, though not for long.

When building a system, I always look at the initial requirements and any I might encounter down the road. With that said, I posted that worst-case scenario for the OPs consideration. I also looked at the Sapphire website and there is a speadsheet available that lists the power requirements for all R9 280X cards and all show a value of <300w. So does that mean it could draw 299W? And finally, here is the PSU recommendation directly from Sapphire:

r9280x_1.jpg

Based on the above, I stand by my original recommendation.

w10

When building a system, I always look at the initial requirements and any I might encounter down the road. With that said, I posted that worst-case scenario for the OPs consideration. I also looked at the Sapphire website and there is a speadsheet available that lists the power requirements for all R9 280X cards and all show a value of <300w. So does that mean it could draw 299W? And finally, here is the PSU recommendation directly from Sapphire:

w10

Sod the recommended requirements, they're just figures they pull out of their asses so they're not legally liable. They don't take into account if you're using a puny Atom or an extremely overclocked 8-core AMD.

Sod the recommended requirements, they're just figures they pull out of their asses so they're not legally liable. They don't take into account if you're using a puny Atom or an extremely overclocked 8-core AMD.

OK mate.

I would spend a little more and get Nvidia GTX 970. That would be more future proof card with lower power draw. SSD should be Crucial MX100 based only. To be on safer side, get a Corsair modular PSU with minimum 650W

I would spend a little more and get Nvidia GTX 970. That would be more future proof card with lower power draw. SSD should be Crucial MX100 based only. To be on safer side, get a Corsair modular PSU with minimum 650W

He needs to find a 970 first. If he wants a 970 he might have to wait summer 2015 to build his system /s. 970 card is awesome but the availability is a complete joke. nVidia is missing a great opportunity here by not having any cards on the shelves.

BTW don't know about where he lives but here you can find a new r9 290x for the same price as a 970 and you can actually buy it now not 6 months from now /s. Also the r9 290x while the same price as a 970 and as good as a 970 also comes with 3 free games. That's a no brainer to me. Same price. Same perf. Avalaible now. 3 free games.

Anyway i'm sure he goes for a 280x because that's the money he wants to spend. You can find some for around 270$ here which is 130$ less than what the 970 is sold at here.

He might want to look at the gtx 770 though here you can find some for not much more than a 280x. There's one sold at TigerDirect for 280$ but it's Zotac ... Newegg.ca sells the GB Windforce one for 290$ and it comes with Borderlands Prequel not a bad deal.

He needs to find a 970 first. If he wants a 970 he might have to wait summer 2015 to build his system /s. 970 card is awesome but the availability is a complete joke. nVidia is missing a great opportunity here by not having any cards on the shelves.

Here in Mumbai, there is plenty of stock. Maybe Nvidia sent the wrong ship to US :P

Radeon R9s are a joke when it comes to power consumption.

Here in Mumbai, there is plenty of stock. Maybe Nvidia sent the wrong ship to US :p

Radeon R9s are a joke when it comes to power consumption.

I'm from Canada. Here it's sadly totally impossible to find one.

Yeah ATI cards are not power efficient but the r9 290x barely requires more power than the r9 280x which is ridiculous when you think about it since it vastly more powerful.