Why do practically all motherboards/laptops still offer USB 2.0 ports?

WIndows 8.1 x64, it fails to communicate over USB 3.0. Works without any changes on USB 2.0.

Corsair Link: v2.5.5145

H100i is on 1.07 firmware.

If I use v2.7.5339, it fails to communicate on either interface type.

Motherboard is a Gigabye Z97N-Gaming 5 of F3 firmware.

I've seen a few Z87/Z97 motherboards getting a firmware update to their USB 3.0 controller. Might want to check if there's one for yours!

I've no need to prove my experience to you.

You are just wanting to fight.

I've seen the issue in 7 and 8.

So, in another words, you are unwilling to give an example, but know this to be true. Nice try, you don't.

So, in another words, you are unwilling to give an example, but know this to be true. Nice try, you don't.

No, in other words, other people have mirrored my experience and you are only singling me out.

Hence your need to fight.  Not lowering myself to your level.

No, in other words, other people have mirrored my experience and you are only singling me out.

Hence your need to fight.  Not lowering myself to your level.

Fight? Haha. I'm trying to get solid proof off you other than your word. Your word means nothing without backup.

Some of my devices do not work right in usb3 ports.  Its for legacy reasons.

It very much IS for legacy-support reasons - some of the oldest USB devices will ONLY work in USB 1.1 ports (that's right - 1.1).  Therefore, when the user buys or upgrades to new hardware, they are forced to upgrade the device ("But it has been working just fine all along....").  While all my hardware is cross-compatible with 1.1 and 2.0, how compatible my USB devices are with 3.0 makes me Decidedly Nervous; there could well be some casualties.

Fight? Haha. I'm trying to get solid proof off you other than your word. Your word means nothing without backup.

Funny.  The fact that others have issues with usb2 devices in usb3 ports in this thread make no difference to you.  Just gotta have proof from me.

snip

Edited by zhangm

Here's Corsair link on the internal USB 2.0 header (now detecting H100i):

0zWaTedOQKY0Ndxnx3a7q0JR69Fp9IeaMuFoV5hg

If I switch back to USB 3.0, let it restart to redetect - I lose communication to the H100i or end up with a unresolvable device (listed but can't communicate with).

Show me "multiple comments". Techbeck is saying on boot, not in the system. Prove that.

USB 3.0 also wouldnt work in Windows 7 until I installed the drivers.  USB in Device Manager had the nice little yellow icon next to it.  So yea, it does happen in the system as well unless you install the drivers.  I even stated this in my first reply to this thread..USB 3.0 wouldnt work unless I installed the correct drivers in Windows.

Show us some proof. The issue is most likely the OS, not the port.

Why are you so big on proof?  You think someone is lying?  What do they have to gain for that?  Do you ask for proof of a problem everytime someone asks for help or advice?

I have seen different issues with identical systems.  For instance, I once setup 4 new G5 Macs on the network.  All 4 were 100 percent identical but one caused excess network traffic and killed a floor in our office until we removed it.  A week or so later, we plugged it back in to the same spot and it worked fine...and we didnt change anything.

The USB issues I was having seem to only be a certain model of Dell system.  Our laptops with 3.0 work on boot and no extra drivers needing to be installed for them to work in Windows.  But not with our precision desktops.  Wont work on bootup or in Windows without drivers installed.  And no, I will not be providing proof either.

doubtful

More like for reals. I have a scanner from 2003 that works perfectly fine with Windows 8.1 using Windows 7 drivers, USB 2.0 but when I switch to 3.0 it flakes out. Probably a driver issue for sure with device itself, but there are times when legacy devices won't work in 3.0 slots. I have one sitting at my desk right in front of me.

USB 3.0 on some PCs do not work on bootup.  I could not get a new Dell Precision T3610 to boot off a USB drive in the USB 3.0 slot.  Had to use 2.0.  And even when I reinstalled windows, 3.0 would not work without the correct drivers.

I think situations like that come down to whether the chipset has native support or not.  The Intel C602 in that does not have native USB 3.0 so it is being provided by a 3rd party add-on chip and likely the result of it not working at boot.

Some laptops have both USB 2.0 and 3.0.

Here is one of them as example:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-15-6-Inch-Convertible-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00KYCTDMA/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1413899931&sr=1-6#productDetails

Quote from the description from Amazon:

1x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, 1x HDMI, SDXC card slot, Wireless N, Bluetooth 4.0.

That's why if one of your accessories isn't working via USB 3.0, then you have 2.0 as backup.

And if you need more USB slots, then get USB hub.. and forget about it.

If USB 2.0 has removed, then some of us have problems with the accessories that won't work via USB 3.0.. 

That's the reason, the lab always test the stuff via USB 3.0 to see if it works or not... if not, they plan to keep USB 2.0 in case. Until accessories that support 3.0 are all solved.

My Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z board has 1 USB 2 port and 8 USB 3 on board. The sole USB 2 port is a ASUS connector port so not recommended for normal use. For all intents and purposes the board is USB 3 only.

The reason you see boards with USB 2 ports is likely due to costs and technical limits. USB 3 has higher bandwidth requirements so will cost more to add to the board. Since board makers and OEMs have become used to throwing a ton of USB ports onto the board they are reluctant to reduce that number. The easy solution to keep costs down while keeping the number of raw ports up is to add in USB 2 ports.

Something else I wanted to mention: In the enterprise sector, we've been having issues with some USB 3 implementations on Lenovo Ivybridge & Haswell implementations not reliably providing serial numbers of attached USB 2.0 drives (e.g. Kingston, Corsair, SanDisk & Integral). On the device's USB 2.0 ports, the serial number always comes through. The devices themselves work ok on USB 3.0 ports but when using enterprise endpoint access software to manage these devices, it's a massive issue as you can't filter / exclude / include based on serial numbers.

The desktop I built last year only (w/ Asrock Z87 Extreme 6) has 2x USB 2.0 ports on the back of the motherboard (next to the PS/2 port- so these USB ports are for KB/Mouse), and 1x USB 2.0 header. Everything else is USB 3.0 - 4x USB 3.0 ports on the back of the motherboard, and 2x USB 3.0 headers. Grand total of 4x USB 2.0 ports, and 8x USB 3.0 ports. There's also a USB port itself on the motherboard, which I have attached a Bluetooth dongle. All my peripherals and devices work perfectly on the USB 3.0 ports (not just on the desktop, but all my computers) - the standard calls for backwards compatibility. If it's not working for you, there likely is an underlying problem with either your OS or drivers or your device. There were some very early on 5 series chipsets that had problems with USB 3, but that was attributed to design faults of Ibex Peak.

Untrue, they are back compatible, unless you have a cheapo old one...

ive had hdd enclosersrs not work keyboards and a few things, so it is tru not everything works