Apple iPhone 6 bends, causing a second degree burn on man's leg

Phillip Lecther was riding a pettiicab when all off a sudden, the vehicle was involved in an accident. Instead of being being ejected from the cab, the force of the accident slammed Lechter against the wall of the cabin he was riding in. This force caused the Apple iPhone 6 in Lechter's front pocket, which was nestled inside a leather case, to bend and catch on fire.

While not every bent phone will puncture the battery, in this case, it did. The subsequent fire caused a second-degree burn on Lechter's leg measuring 11.5cm x 10.5cm in size, surrounded by an area of first-degree burns. Being ensconced in a leather case didn't protect the iPhone 6 from getting bent.

It would seem that if this incident proves anything, it is that a smartphone that bends not only looks pretty bad, it also can cause serious bodily harm to the user. In defense of the iPhone 6, the force of the impact might have damaged other smartphones as well. Unfortunately, because of the previous reports detailing how easily the Apple iPhone 6 Plus bends, the first thing that comes to mind is that the build quality of the iPhone 6 was somehow responsible for what occured. 

source with pics :

somehow...  reading the word pettiicab in the article... makes me cringe.

WTF is a pettiicab?     how bad were they in a rush to write the article to not correct the spelling?

also, the phone bent to 90 degree and went on fire from a bike cab accident?   and they was the only injury?

this smells like some serious bullcrap!

somehow... reading the word pettiicab in the article... makes me cringe.

WTF is a pettiicab? how bad were they in a rush to write the article to not correct the spelling?

also, the phone bent to 90 degree and went on fire from a bike cab accident? and they was the only injury?

Yup, misspelled Pedicab

cab4.jpg

That said, bending iPhone 6's are known to happen, and a LiIon battery can cause a fire.

Bend, meet short circuit.

also, the phone bent to 90 degree and went on fire from a bike cab accident?   and they was the only injury?

My brother rolled his jeep down a cliff.  Jeep totaled, he walked away untouched.  So no, not BS.

I was wondering how long it'd take this photo to make it around the media!

The device suffered an impact and basically bent in two. There's a battery in there, and if the battery is bent like that it will vent. Pretty much expected behaviour.

WTF is a pettiicab?     how bad were they in a rush to write the article to not correct the spelling?

* the only injury that will get media attention/sell stories ;)

That's what scares me nowadays, you can survive the most horrific car accident without a scratch yet be killed by a battery in your smartphone.  

You're right, you can survive a car crash, but you can just as likely die in one just as many do each year. Lets not get too carried away here, the guy was burnt, this isn't even close to a fatality. 

• Like 2

You're right, you can survive a car crash, but you can just as likely die in one just as many do each year. Lets not get too carried away here, the guy was burnt, this isn't even close to a fatality. 

Oh I know  :)   I think Apple should send him a new phone like HTC did to the guy whose phone stopped a bullet.

They really should.

Apple sending someone something for free? :laugh:

It's more probable that Batman would work together with The Joker and even then...

How exactly would a phone bend like that while in a pants pocket?  That makes no sense...

without a crash or immense or sustained force it won't 

there was a crash and his thigh with phone inside hit something front of him at high speed and momentum... causing the phone to bend around an object 

i enjoy this visual explanation

huge.10.50676.JPG

Apple sending someone something for free? :laugh:

It's more probable that Batman would work together with The Joker and even then...

Well then I guess you must of missed the newest batman movie that no one knows about.

Because a few years back I bought a Macbook Pro this was before the unibody one that has been out now. So probably in 2007 or so. I had a few issues with Apple Care and the system still kept exhibiting issues about two years into its life. AppleCare sent me a brand new Macbook Pro Unibody laptop that was just released. Not only did they do that, but after buying my Intel Macbook Pro they came out with a revision upgrade to it about a year later, apple was about to send me that as a new system but ended up waiting with my permission to send me a Unibody System brand new. 

The iPhone 6 should be RECALLED, permanently, until Apple decide to design stuff with some substance, rather than their "Oooh, it's GOT to be thinner!!" attitude. All those electronics in such close proximity to a battery with the potential to short, in a chassis that has little strength, in someone's pocket, is a ticking time bomb. The phone's body is supposed to be load bearing and structural.

I seriously doubt there are only 9 cases of the bending, with all phones being made the same, so eventually it's going to get worse. Apple will only be able to sweep it under the carpet for so long...

I used to operate Pedi-cabs in the spring months a few years back, they are dangerous to operate in traffic. unless each side has an even load, those things can turn over with little to no warning/

The iPhone 6 should be RECALLED, permanently, until Apple decide to design stuff with some substance, rather than their "Oooh, it's GOT to be thinner!!" attitude. All those electronics in such close proximity to a battery with the potential to short, in a chassis that has little strength, in someone's pocket, is a ticking time bomb. The phone's body is supposed to be load bearing and structural.

I seriously doubt there are only 9 cases of the bending, with all phones being made the same, so eventually it's going to get worse. Apple will only be able to sweep it under the carpet for so long...

In the real world, companies don't recall products without proof...

A handful of instances compared to the millions of them out there is hardly anything to get worried about.  It would take thousands of reports to actually get Apple concerned about it.  This is nothing more than people abusing their phones and feeding it to people like you that will make a bigger deal out of it than it actually is.

If you're up in arms over the few reports, don't buy the phone. Simple as that.  

For people that take care of their expensive property, it's fine...

This is nothing more than people abusing their phones and feeding it to people like you that will make a bigger deal out of it than it actually is.

Feeding it to people like me? I work in the repair industry, I see how "normal use" stuff gets abused. Even under normal use, screens get scratched, laptop bodies get cracks and stress. Modern technology has to be able to withstand stress and harsh situations, like someone forgetting their phone is in their jeans arse pocket when they sit down, doesn't make it intentional damage, it's "real world" use. Companies like Apple don't want to put their phones through accelerated testing (Google it, you might learn something, Seagate use similar testing) because it'd cost them millions and they'd lose profit.

The iPhone 6 is badly designed. End of. Look what happened to the Titanium Powerbooks, they said they were unbreakable. Carbon trims falling off, hinges snapping after several months, the body coming apart. I did hundreds of the darn things, and it's still no better with their modern stuff. They'll just discontinue support after a year or two and shrug it off.

Normal consumers are ignorant, they expect something to just work, and last years without maintenance or service and tons of abuse. The sooner you understand that from my point of view as a field service engineer, the better. I have good instincts for knowing when bad design is present and may get worse.

I stopped using Apple years ago personally, I still fix their stuff for a living, glad I'm not a victim of Apple any more :)

Feeding it to people like me? I work in the repair industry, I see how "normal use" stuff gets abused. Even under normal use, screens get scratched, laptop bodies get cracks and stress. Modern technology has to be able to withstand stress and harsh situations, like someone forgetting their phone is in their jeans arse pocket when they sit down, doesn't make it intentional damage, it's "real world" use. Companies like Apple don't want to put their phones through accelerated testing (Google it, you might learn something, Seagate use similar testing) because it'd cost them millions and they'd lose profit.

The iPhone 6 is badly designed. End of. Look what happened to the Titanium Powerbooks, they said they were unbreakable. Carbon trims falling off, hinges snapping after several months, the body coming apart. I did hundreds of the darn things, and it's still no better with their modern stuff. They'll just discontinue support after a year or two and shrug it off.

Normal consumers are ignorant, they expect something to just work, and last years without maintenance or service and tons of abuse. The sooner you understand that from my point of view as a field service engineer, the better. I have good instincts for knowing when bad design is present and may get worse.

I stopped using Apple years ago personally, I still fix their stuff for a living, glad I'm not a victim of Apple any more :)

I have an M8.  I know exactly how easily aluminum phones bend, and the iPhone is no exception (moreso because it is thinner).  It takes very little effort.  In fact, slightly tight jeans will do it.

Normal consumers are ignorant, they expect something to just work, and last years without maintenance or service and tons of abuse.

because people tend to think that this kind of technology is like an refrigerator or a microwave oven, that "just works" over the years.

because people tend to think that this kind of technology is like an refrigerator or a microwave oven, that "just works" over the years.

Considering that they can cost as much as, or much more than, the given examples those expectations are entirely reasonable.

I have an M8.  I know exactly how easily aluminum phones bend, and the iPhone is no exception (moreso because it is thinner).  It takes very little effort.  In fact, slightly tight jeans will do it.

Exactly. If Apple cared or even knew anything about design, they wouldn't use aluminium. They'd "invent" some kind of new metal, mixing titanium with steel or something. A rule of design engineering is if it gets smaller, it must also get stronger.

Exactly. If Apple cared or even knew anything about design, they wouldn't use aluminium. They'd "invent" some kind of new metal, mixing titanium with steel or something. A rule of design engineering is if it gets smaller, it must also get stronger.

There are already titanium alloys they could use, but they're a bear to machine and work with. Some 3D metal printers are now able to use these with micron precision prints, good enough for turbomachinery, so perhaps that problem will disappear.

U get burnt in many ways when buying an iPhone. /s

How is that sarcasm? It's true! You get burnt in your wallet, and your skin, both perhaps at the same time when sitting down, not just when buying the thing!