Michigan to Tesla Motors: You're Not Welcome

Not exactly the Michigans, but rather The Governor.

source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/michelinemaynard/2014/10/21/michigan-to-tesla-motors-youre-not-welcome/

Michigan?s Republican governor signed legislation on Tuesday that officially bans Tesla Motors and any other carmaker from selling directly to consumers in the state.

Now, state law requires that Tesla, or other car companies, must sell vehicles through networks of franchised dealers.

If the company doesn?t have its own network, the state requires it to sell vehicles through another car company?s dealership network.

Last week, in a blog post entitled "A Raw Deal In Michigan," the company said the state?s auto dealers 'seek to force Tesla, a company that has never had a franchise dealership, into a body of law solely intended to govern the relationship between a manufacturer and its associated dealers. In so doing, they create an effective prohibition against Tesla opening a store in Michigan.'

seem like another protectionist lobbying to me.

I wonder how much Rick & the lawmakers got the $$$?

The title is highly misleading. They're not saying Tesla isn't welcome, they're just saying Tesla must sell through a dealership which is pretty much the stupidest thing ever. Especially for a state in such dire financial straits as Michigan. It's like the music industry not embracing digital music for so long. If you embrace it you can capitalize on it, if you don't you just end up losing a lot of money.

Thanks to Eazy-E, I used to think Compton was in Michigan....

Anyway, I remember reading that Tesla was having trouble in other states regarding the protectionist dealer requirement.

It's the residents of these states that suffer.

The National Auto Dealers Association has a LOT of political pull, especially in Michigan.

In this case Snyder was in a no-win position as the legislation passed both houses by HUGE majorities, large enough to easily overrule his veto. In order to not lose political credits for later battles he signed it.

Doesn't matter as everyone following this issue knows that once all the states are on record, one way or the other, the next step is Tesla filing a Federal lawsuit complaining an unreasonable restriction of Interstate Commerce, which is a Federal jurisdiction.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20130415/RETAIL07/304159943?template=mobile

• Like 1