Computer unable to detect the home wifi

So for some reason, the computer in the living room is unable to detect my wifi, even though it was in the same room with the router, but it was able to detect my neighbor's wifi networks. The other computers and mobile devices in the house were able to detect and connect to the wifi network, however.

So far, I've tried re-enabling the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service, so that it was set to "Automatic", and I've also reinstalled the drivers for the USB adapter, I've also tried plugging the wifi adapter at other USB ports, but so far I've been unable to get the computer to detect the wifi network.

The computer is running Windows XP and the computer (a desktop computer) is connected to the wifi using a Buffalo wli-uc-gn wireless lan adapter.

Did you originally have a connection with this device in that location and have you tried that device in another PC to check the connection?

EDIT which protocols does your router and the device support and have you checked you didnt disable say B or N types on the router?

Did you originally have a connection with this device in that location and have you tried that device in another PC to check the connection?

EDIT which protocols does your router and the device support and have you checked you didnt disable say B or N types on the router?

Yeah, I usually could get a connection on that computer until yesterday evening, and I've tried it on my laptop, Windows was able to detect and identify the adapter, but it can't find any wireless networks too.

The adapter supports b/g/n, and the router (we got it directly from out ISP but it appears to be a D-Link DIR-615) also supports b/g/n, and the network is encrypted using WPA-2.

Tried other access points?  Can you connect?  Tried killing the power to the router for a few minutes and then trying? 

Also, how old is the router/PC you are trying to connect?  My aunt/uncle got a new Smart TV and their TV could not connect to the wireless router while every other device could.  Their router was several years old and not compatible with the TV.  A new router fixed the issue.  The TV would connect with an OPEN wireless connection, but not WPA/WPA2.

Also, try updating wifi drivers and trying a different wireless adapter, if possible. 

Tried other access points?  Can you connect?  Tried killing the power to the router for a few minutes and then trying? 

Also, how old is the router/PC you are trying to connect?  My aunt/uncle got a new Smart TV and their TV could not connect to the wireless router while every other device could.  Their router was several years old and not compatible with the TV.  A new router fixed the issue.  The TV would connect with an OPEN wireless connection, but not WPA/WPA2.

Also, try updating wifi drivers and trying a different wireless adapter, if possible. 

No, other than my neighbors' wifi (which I didn't connect to for obvious reasons) I don't have any other APs to connect to to test the connection. And yeah, I've tried that as well.

I can't remember how old is the wifi adapter, but the router is at least two years old, since we upgraded to a five mbps connection, but I think the adapter is as old or a bit older than the router itself.

And I've tried reinstalling the wifi drivers, but unfortunately I don't have another wireless adapter to try out.

No, other than my neighbors' wifi (which I didn't connect to for obvious reasons) I don't have any other APs to connect to to test the connection. And yeah, I've tried that as well.

I can't remember how old is the wifi adapter, but the router is at least two years old, since we upgraded to a five mbps connection, but I think the adapter is as old or a bit older than the router itself.

And I've tried reinstalling the wifi drivers, but unfortunately I don't have another wireless adapter to try out.

I would go out and pick one up.  I normally use Linksys but buy a good name brand wireless adapter.  If it doesnt fix your issue, you can always return it.  I have a USB wireless adapter (forget the brand) that will not work on certain routers....even with updated drivers. 

I mentioned killing the power the router as I many times had issues connecting devices until the router was power cycled.

So if you take this adapter and put it in another machine - does it work with your home wifi network?

If your putting it in say a laptop - make sure you turn of the built in adapter and just use the usb one.

Whats the specific adapter your using make and model number?  Are you running 2.4 or 5ghz N?  Have you tried changing your routers wifi to just be OPEN?  Are you sure your broadcasting the ssid?  And just don't have it remembered on the other devices?  That it sees other wifi from other house points to it being good to me.  So I would think maybe your just not broadcasting your SSID and your other devices have it saved is why they connect to it, etc..

Also double check that its not set to say G only, and double check what mode your running on your router..  If all your devices support N, then really b and g should be disabled.  To be honest nobody is still using B, and you could say the same for G except for really OLD devices.  Everything supports N today, and dual band is very common.  New stuff is all starting to be AC even.

So if you take this adapter and put it in another machine - does it work with your home wifi network?

If your putting it in say a laptop - make sure you turn of the built in adapter and just use the usb one.

Whats the specific adapter your using make and model number?  Are you running 2.4 or 5ghz N?  Have you tried changing your routers wifi to just be OPEN?  Are you sure your broadcasting the ssid?  And just don't have it remembered on the other devices?  That it sees other wifi from other house points to it being good to me.  So I would think maybe your just not broadcasting your SSID and your other devices have it saved is why they connect to it, etc..

Also double check that its not set to say G only, and double check what mode your running on your router..  If all your devices support N, then really b and g should be disabled.  To be honest nobody is still using B, and you could say the same for G except for really OLD devices.  Everything supports N today, and dual band is very common.  New stuff is all starting to be AC even.

When I plugged the adapter into my laptop, I made sure I disabled the laptop's adapter first. But when I tried to connect to a network, it still won't detect the network. I'll try and look into the router's settings later, since everyone else is using the wifi network and I don't want to interrupt them.

If the usb adapter cannot connect to the router when in another  device Id say the issue is with it, not the router.Do you have another you could try from the PC with the cinnection issue?

^ unless again the router is not broadcasting the SSID, when in other laptop did is see any other wifi network - like the one across the street you mentioned before?