11 yo Boy (Legally) Hunts and Kills Rare Deer, His Prize? A Facebook Flame War.

I would have said the same about Jaylen Fryberg

I'm serious, hunting rare animals is wrong period.  A kid hunting animals is just asking for trouble.

A genetic misfire is all it is.  Call it rare, call it what you want but at the end of the day, its just a deer.

Kids have been hunting for hundreds of years.  Who are you to take that away from them?

I hunted as a child, and guess what?  I never went on a murderous rampage.

This 11 year old boy may not ever do that but he has a very much higher chance than those who have no blood lust.  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/why-the-wild-things-are/201302/do-mass-killers-start-out-harming-pets

You turning out fine is relative.

not unheard of, just one story http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/01/man-killed-father-wyoming-bow-arrow-attack/1739125/

The article you linked to describes the physiological effects of kids harming/abusing/killing pets.  No where in the article did it mention hunting wildlife under the supervision of his/her parents leading to violent behavior.

• Like 2

A genetic misfire is all it is.  Call it rare, call it what you want but at the end of the day, its just a deer.

Kids have been hunting for hundreds of years.  Who are you to take that away from them?

I hunted as a child, and guess what?  I never went on a murderous rampage.

That's not true. Rumor has it you tend to wipe out (software) bugs! :p

As for the thread, I'm kind of surprised by some of the responses. People don't like hunting, yet have no problems eating meat.

I don't go hunting myself, but I have a lot more respect for those that do hunt making use of the meat or donating it (what my grandfather would do). At least, that's how it's always been for those that hunt among my family and friends.

Of course, there's always the much more humane way of life, raising hormone-injected chickens that barely have the ability to walk, packed into tight cages.

The whole thing blowing up on Facebook is silly too. People want to sit and complain on their fat asses when it's convenient. They rarely practice what they preach. It's all just a bunch of hollering about nothing. 

• Like 2

That's not true. Rumor has it you tend to wipe out (software) bugs! :p

As for the thread, I'm kind of surprised by some of the responses. People don't like hunting, yet have no problems eating meat.

I don't go hunting myself, but I have a lot more respect for those that do hunt making use of the meat or donating it (what my grandfather would do). At least, that's how it's always been for those that hunt among my family and friends.

Of course, there's always the much more humane way of life, raising hormone-injected chickens that barely have the ability to walk, packed into tight cages.

The whole thing blowing up on Facebook is silly too. People want to sit and complain on their fat asses when it's convenient. They rarely practice what they preach. It's all just a bunch of hollering about nothing. 

I think a lot of it has to do with how insulated and disconnected we as a species have become from nature.  Many people no longer see meat as coming from an animal that had to be killed, and en masse.  They just see something that shows up in the grocery store.  Then a single hunting incident and they are horrified by it.

• Like 1

how soon before this kid is rampaging across his school campus hunting his classmates?

How many school shooters have there been n the last 30 years?

How many of them where avid hunters ?

I don't agree with it at all and i don't care how you gun wielding Americans want to spin it.

The guy a few pages back saying people hunt for a reason not for fun, what an absolute load of rubbish.. people hunt for sport, it IS a sport.. yes there are culls and other valid reasons for killing animals, but this case is no such thing, an 11 year old should not be involved in a cull, taking a photo of a dead animal you killed for sport is disgusting, this is a trophy killing plain and simple. Hopefully one day this family will get a taste of their own medicine.

Only in America is it acceptable for an 11 year old to own a crossbow and legally kill animals with it << read it, sounds wrong, it is wrong.

Actually, I hunt for fun, but the major reason I hunt is for food.  Groceries are expensive, and I don't make a ton of money.  I figure if an animal has to die to put meat on the table, it's cheaper and more honorable for me to go out and kill it myself so I know that it lived a good life naturally in the woods, and that it was not given any hormones, steroids, etc., and I know that the method I use to kill them is about as humane as you can get.  Life ends within 10 seconds, and most of the time that 10 seconds is spent burning off adrenaline.  I've seen how these corporate farms slaughter their animals; it's unnecessarily brutal and disgusting.

how soon before this kid is rampaging across his school campus hunting his classmates?

Statistically speaking, it'll never happen.  Almost every boy I went to school with (I'm only 27, so this isn't somebody from the 50s talking) hunted deer, most of us started when we were very young, and many of us still do today.  If you put guns off limits as some magical thing that kids should not know anything about, and you don't teach them how to behave and how to properly handle and store one, then the first time you're gone and he has friends' over it's gonna be, "Hey, my dad's got a gun, want to go check it out?"  We hunt with everything from bows and arrows to muzzel loaders to AR-15s, whatever the season allows and whatever we happen to have in the gun cabinet.  You know how many school shootings we've had?  Zero.  Ever.  Period.

In the US, about 143 school incidents since 1984 with many of those having one victim - the shooter by suicide or suicide by cop. This includes guns, knives, axes, machetes, car attacks....whatever.

Hunters? Very rare. Only a few.

It's not the instrument, it's the loony-tune behind it.

• Like 3