Felicia Day writes post about #GamerGate, gets doxxed

Instead of greeting two male gamers wearing Halo and Call of Duty shirts, prominent gamer and actress Felicia Day crossed the street.

?Seeing another gamer on the street used to be an auto-smile opportunity, or an entry into a conversation starting with, ?Hey, dude! I love that game too!? the Supernatural actress wrote on her Tumblr. But for the first time maybe in my life, on that Saturday afternoon, I walked towards that pair of gamers and I didn?t smile. I didn?t say hello. In fact, I crossed the street so I wouldn?t walk by them. A small voice of doubt in my brain now suspected that those guys and I might not be comrades after all. That they might not greet me with reflected friendliness, but contempt.?

That change is GamerGate ? an online movement where a small subset of gamers have harassed female media critics, developers and bloggers with violent and graphic death and rape threats.

Feminist media critic Anita Sarkeesian, who was driven from her home by gamers? threats, recently had to cancel a speaking engagement at Utah State University after a letter threatened a massacre if the school did not cancel its event. While the written threat was jarring, Sarkeesian cancelled her talk because of Utah?s concealed carry laws, which meant the school couldn?t guarantee her safety. Game developers Brianna Wu and Zoe Quinn have also had to leave their homes because of the massive amount of death and rape threats.

More:  http://thinkprogress.org/culture/2014/10/23/3583347/felicia-day-gamergate/

It's sad to see so many people eagerly lapping up the media lies on this one, it's their dishonest reporting that caused this storm not the gamers themselves.

It's sad to see so many people eagerly lapping up the media lies on this one, it's their dishonest reporting that caused this storm not the gamers themselves.

It is funny how when they started being called out for their ######, almost all of them jumped on the defensive / offensive and started posting crap about individuals that belong to a movement.

Like blaming all of humanity for what happened during the WW2, yet humanity is your marketing target in the first place.

What annoys me about all this is Felicia Day is one of, if not the most loveable, approachable, fan loving person on the planet. 
She normally would take the time to walk upto someone and have a epic long conversation about gaming or something equally as geeky with anyone.
Then people from this 'GamerGate' movement, who call themselves true gamers, go and do crap like this, as well as threaten the life of that woman last week.

For one thing she helped bring the female gamer movement forward by MILES with what she did with The Guild, and her geek status on Twitter and the like.

Simply disgusting, it's embarrassing to be a gamer when idiots pull this crap.

What annoys me about all this is Felicia Day is one of, if not the most loveable, approachable, fan loving person on the planet. 

She normally would take the time to walk upto someone and have a epic long conversation about gaming or something equally as geeky with anyone.

Then people from this 'GamerGate' movement, who call themselves true gamers, go and do crap like this, as well as threaten the life of that woman last week.

For one thing she helped bring the female gamer movement forward by MILES with what she did with The Guild, and her geek status on Twitter and the like.

Yep. What a joke.

Clickhole has an amusing take on it: http://www.clickhole.com/article/summary-gamergate-movement-we-will-immediately-cha-1241?utm_campaign=default&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_source=facebook :laugh:

So because of a few loud idiots online, you are automatically putting all male gamers into the same bucket? How does that make you any better than those loud idiots who lump all females as "non-gamers" or actually cause this distraction?

Separating by gender and embracing stereotypes will do nothing to help rid ourselves of this "gate". People on both sides need to hunker down and work together!

Oh wait, this is the internet. Never mind, proceed with endlessly covering the loud idiots and publicizing their stupidity, which in turn only emboldens them to attack more people.

Female gamer movement? If you're talking Anita Sarkeesian (who incidentally isn't a gamer and in fact hates it) et al, then you're talking about neofeminists trying to inject themselves into the conversation.

Just to be clear, Sakeesian canceled that event because she wanted to, not because it wasn't safe. Police AND the FBI both said it was an empty threat and that they were doing their best to make the event safe.

But nono, for a professional victim like Sarkeesian that wasn't good enough. Nevermind the fact that there are women out in the world who have been shot for speaking at events about feminism before and still keep at it. If she really cared about her cause threats wouldn't stop her.

Sarkeesian is after attention and that's it.

I'll just put this here...

So because of a few loud idiots online, you are automatically putting all male gamers into the same bucket? How does that make you any better than those loud idiots who lump all females as "non-gamers" or actually cause this distraction?

It doesn't. But they try to control the conversation by playing the professional victim and calling all gamers white male misogynists. It's all a stratagem to garner attention and make money. Best not to even debate them.
  • Like 3

People today, I sware....

Felicia Days is cute to my eyes... I am not sure what this GamerGate is all about... Try to read but too much to read... Hope things turns out ok for her...

Felicia Days is cute to my eyes... I am not sure what this GamerGate is all about... Try to read but too much to read... Hope things turns out ok for her...

Simply, it's what happened when two de-centralized groups decided to support two different yet intersecting causes. No one really speaks for either group, so it's devolved into trolling.

• Like 2

It doesn't. But they try to control the conversation by playing the professional victim and calling all gamers white male misogynists. It's all a stratagem to garner attention and make money. Best not to even debate them.

Yes, they're intentionally playing the role of victim. Then if you argue with them, you're "blaming the victim"

You really can't win. Ignoring them would be the best option, but they have friends in the press that will continue to make an issue out of nothing. It's manipulative and unfair.

Simply, GamerGate is what happens when two de-centralized groups decide to support two different yet intersecting causes

One group consists of actual gamers, including people from different genders, a multitude of ethnicities, a variety of age groups and interests, and the other is a small group of neofeminists and social justice warriors who are trying to get attention and make money by playing the professional victim card.

all while letting 4Chan run the show.

Pretty sure 4Chan censored/banned/deleted all conversion on the topic, as did many other forums controlled by white knight moderators and others under the influence of people like Zoe Quinn. 8Chan (infinity chan) is the new home of uncensored, white knight / SJW free debate.

Female gamer movement? If you're talking Anita Sarkeesian (who incidentally isn't a gamer and in fact hates it) et al, then you're talking about neofeminists trying to inject themselves into the conversation.

Im not talking about Anita, im talking about Felicia. She is a true gamer, but regardless, to threaten the life of another person, no matter if they feminist, or whatever, is disgusting. Especially coming from a 'gamer'. 

I just think that regardless if you pro-gamergate, or anti-gamergate, your still at heart a gamer, and thats all that matters. All these threats and 'doxxing' is just being stupid, and people that support those threats and doxxing are equally as stupid.

Im not talking about Anita, im talking about Felicia. She is a true gamer, but regardless, to threaten the life of another person, no matter if they feminist, or whatever, is disgusting. Especially coming from a 'gamer'. 

I just think that regardless if you pro-gamergate, or anti-gamergate, your still at heart a gamer, and thats all that matters. All these threats and 'doxxing' is just being stupid, and people that support those threats and doxxing are equally as stupid.

Who here is saying they support those threats? No one is, and most people behind gamergate actively tell people who exhibit that kind of behavior to stop.

No one I would hope, Im just saying that threatening other people makes you a d-head, which is what the GamerGaters are. The whole thing has gotten so far out of hand that nice, friendly people like Felicia are scared of their own shadow, which is just wrong. - Hence my comment. 

No one I would hope, Im just saying that threatening other people makes you a d-head, which is what the GamerGaters are. The whole thing has gotten so far out of hand that nice, friendly people like Felicia are scared of their own shadow, which is just wrong. - Hence my comment. 

Nevermind the fact that women who support gamergate have had death threats and rape threats against them and been doxxed as well, right?

Using your logic anyone who is against gamergate is also just as bad as you're claiming gamergate people are.

Your concern for Felicia Day is so touching, though. She had to walk by some people on a street. Poor her. It's fun for condemning people for wearing shirts, though, I guess? What a joke.

Pretty sure 4Chan censored/banned/deleted all conversion on the topic, as did many other forums controlled by white knight moderators and others under the influence of people like Zoe Quinn. 8Chan (infinity chan) is the new home of uncensored, white knight / SJW free debate.

Agreed, it's not 4Chan, it's just out of control trolling.

Nevermind the fact that women who support gamergate have had death threats and rape threats against them and been doxxed as well, right?

Using your logic anyone who is against gamergate is also just as bad as you're claiming gamergate people are.

Your concern for Felicia Day is so touching, though. She had to walk by some people on a street. Poor her. It's fun for condemning people for wearing shirts, though, I guess?

Are you even reading what im writing?! 

Im saying that regardless of if you are pro or anti gamergate, to threaten other people makes that person a d-head. Plain and simple. I dont know how you can think I said anything other than that. 

Are you even reading what im writing?! 

Im saying that regardless of if you are pro or anti gamergate, to threaten other people makes that person a d-head. Plain and simple. I dont know how you can think I said anything other than that. 

I am reading what you wrote, and this is what you wrote..

No one I would hope, Im just saying that threatening other people makes you a d-head, which is what the GamerGaters are.

No mention of the anti-gg people there. You specifically call out one side. So please tell me how I misinterpreted what you said.