How can I sync keepass database when database changes, help me

Question

hi

i use keepass 2.88 under w8.1 64bit and w7 sp1 64bit

i would like to sync my database with my ftp when database changed ( add a new entry , edit an entry , delete my entry)

well i created a trigger but it doesn't work perfectly

in the trigger under

event -> saved my database

condition -> dabase  has unsaved changes ->active

actions -> sync to my ftp

but it doesn't work , seem that the condition does work

might you help me please?

sorry for my poor english

18 answers to this question

2.88 really??  Where is that at - current version is 2.28 on the keepass website.

So have you copied your file to the ftp server?  Have you gotten it to work with  just sync under file menu..  Once you set that up, every time you save the database it should ask you if you want to sync.  Does that work?

I personally just have keeppass in my dropbox and don't worry about it, its everywhere my dropbox is - if need be can grab it from anywhere, etc.  But I could prob just get rid of it since all my passwords are in lastpass anyway.  And that is so much easier to use on any device or browser than keepass.

2.88 really??  Where is that at - current version is 2.28 on the keepass website.

hi

ops it's 2.28 :( typo error

I personally just have keeppass in my dropbox and don't worry about it, its everywhere my dropbox is

did you copied even the program in dropbox? or do you use dropbox to sync?

i don't trust about lastpass

So have you copied your file to the ftp server?

yes i have

Have you gotten it to work with  just sync under file menu..  Once you set that up, every time you save the database it should ask you if you want to sync.  Does that work?

yes it does

but i would like to sync only if my database changes (for example adding/editing/deleting a new entry )

there is a condition option in the trigger

can i do it?

thanks Budman

"i don't trust about lastpass"

Well that is you and your tinfoil hat, not the rest of the planet ;)  You do understand the passwords are encrypted on your end - they are not stored open on lastpass, lastpass could not view them if they wanted to.  Use a strong master password with 2 factor and how is it any different than keepass other than easier to use ;)

As to dropbox, I just put the whole portable program in a dropbox folder = done.  You sending it to a ftp server - so you log in with clear text across the public net every time you sync your database..  So your tinfoil hat is off during that operation - but you don't trust lastpass ;)

Hi,

I do something similar but with btsync. I do not sync the key file and bring those to the remote machines manually and the strategy has worked great.

"i don't trust about lastpass"

Well that is you and your tinfoil hat, not the rest of the planet ;)  You do understand the passwords are encrypted on your end - they are not stored open on lastpass, lastpass could not view them if they wanted to.  Use a strong master password with 2 factor and how is it any different than keepass other than easier to use ;)

As to dropbox, I just put the whole portable program in a dropbox folder = done.  You sending it to a ftp server - so you log in with clear text across the public net every time you sync your database..  So your tinfoil hat is off during that operation - but you don't trust lastpass ;)

Hi,

I do something similar but with btsync. I do not sync the key file and bring those to the remote machines manually and the strategy has worked great.

ok , the point is i have an ftp space, and i would like to sycn with keepass ,only when the datase contains some changes

but i can't find how let it work

would like to add a condition (database changed ) ->sync

don't know if it's my fault or if the program can't do it

thanks to everyone

you get what free 2gig with dropbox, sure your password file is nowhere close to that = done. You don't even ever have to think about it sync again.

There is an plugin that adds other sync options like sftp or ftps so your not logging into ftp with clear text every sync. FTP was great in the day, but to be honest its of little use anymore. It can be a PITA behind nat.

But if your saying it works with manual sync, would seem like you just have triggers not quite right. When I get a chance will test it out on my end for how to set the triggers.

This doesn't seem right to me

condition -> dabase has unsaved changes ->active

But your event is save database, so the database would not have any unsaved changes. So I would take it that trigger would never fire. Have to look at what options there are, have not really played with keepass since went to lastpass few years back.

I prefer to just use a dedicated sync client too.  Is easier and less hassle.

Which action item are you using?  (Sync active DB w file/URL?)

yes sync active database with  a file/url

can you add a condition to sync only if the dabase changes?

thanks

condition -> dabase has unsaved changes ->active

But your event is save database, so the database would not have any unsaved changes. So I would take it that trigger would never fire. Have to look at what options there are, have not really played with keepass since went to lastpass few years back.

yes with condition -> dabase has unsaved changes ->active , the trigger doesn't fire :(

thanks

ftp has no method to sync only change, it would have to overwrite the file with any sort of change. Which is not how dropbox works for example, it only changes the bits of the file that change. This is done at the bit level.

While I am curious now how to make this work myself, to me it an antiquated method and is waste of time.. But I like playing with odd stuff, so will fire up my copy at the house fire up a ftp server (again antiquated, sftp is much better method - 1 port, secure can use public key auth even. All traffic is encrypted even if using username and password for login, et)

ftp has no method to sync only change, it would have to overwrite the file with any sort of change. Which is not how dropbox works for example, it only changes the bits of the file that change. This is done at the bit level.

While I am curious now how to make this work myself, to me it an antiquated method and is waste of time.. But I like playing with odd stuff, so will fire up my copy at the house fire up a ftp server (again antiquated, sftp is much better method - 1 port, secure can use public key auth even. All traffic is encrypted even if using username and password for login, et)

thanks Budman

I use Keepass with WHS, OneDrive, and Dropbox. The way I've set it up is to fire a trigger on save. The trigger is as follows:

Properties:

Enabled

Initially on

Events:

Saved database file

Conditions:

(none)

Actions:

Change trigger on/off state: off

Synchronize active database with a file: (path to dropbox folder)\database.kdbx

Synchronize active database with a file: (path to Onedrive folder)\database.kdbx

Synchronize active database with a file: (path to WHS folder)\database.kdbx

Change trigger on/off state:on

This works for me across multiple computers and phones.

As for FTP security, while the connection is  unencrypted, the data is encrypted. If you have a strong enough password, no one is going to get your data. They can, however, get your FTP password and erase your database. Don't use FTP for something this important.

I keep my KeePass DB on a Linux Server VM accessed via SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) backed up nightly...

I prefer this setup. It gives me access to a synced and updated file that can be access by myself and my wife on all our devices. At the same time it allows me to maintain the control over my data I prefer. I prefer not to be boxed in with some service in regards to my critical data. To each their own :)

I can not get the ftp sync to work with save or saving trigger, but can get it to work with close trigger

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<TriggerCollection xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
	<Triggers>
		<Trigger>
			<Guid>RQ9P2A1kh0aNYHBmD6m4CQ==</Guid>
			<Name>ftp</Name>
			<Events>
				<Event>
					<TypeGuid>lPpw5bE/QSamTgZP2MNslQ==</TypeGuid>
					<Parameters>
						<Parameter>0</Parameter>
						<Parameter>d:\dropbox\keepass\database.kdbx</Parameter>
					</Parameters>
				</Event>
			</Events>
			<Conditions />
			<Actions>
				<Action>
					<TypeGuid>Iq135Bd4Tu2ZtFcdArOtTQ==</TypeGuid>
					<Parameters>
						<Parameter>ftp://storage.local.lan/Database.kdbx</Parameter>
						<Parameter>ftpuser</Parameter>
						<Parameter>Test123</Parameter>
					</Parameters>
				</Action>
			</Actions>
		</Trigger>
	</Triggers>
</TriggerCollection>
If use saving trigger it gets stuck in loop, if use the saved trigger it errors with file being open I think.. Here is the thing - were are you going to use this file? Since your not opening it directly. If you want to have multiple computers use the same file then you should just open the file directly from ftp I would think?

As others have mentioned, not just me - use a different sync system to sync your keepass database file.. It is SO MUCH EASIER!!! Like I said I just run the portable version and put the whole thing in a dropbox. Now I have keeppass where ever I need it, on any machine I have dropbox on, or even if out and about via can just grab the database from the dropbox web gui, etc.

I use Keepass with WHS, OneDrive, and Dropbox. The way I've set it up is to fire a trigger on save. The trigger is as follows:

Properties:

Enabled

Initially on

Events:

Saved database file

Conditions:

(none)

Actions:

Change trigger on/off state: off

Synchronize active database with a file: (path to dropbox folder)\database.kdbx

Synchronize active database with a file: (path to Onedrive folder)\database.kdbx

Synchronize active database with a file: (path to WHS folder)\database.kdbx

Change trigger on/off state:on

This works for me across multiple computers and phones.

As for FTP security, while the connection is  unencrypted, the data is encrypted. If you have a strong enough password, no one is going to get your data. They can, however, get your FTP password and erase your database. Don't use FTP for something this important.

hi

may i ask you what is it whs ?

did you installed a dropbox plugin?

but you get always sync when you click save, even the database is not changed

I can not get the ftp sync to work with save or saving trigger, but can get it to work with close trigger

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<TriggerCollection xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
	<Triggers>
		<Trigger>
			<Guid>RQ9P2A1kh0aNYHBmD6m4CQ==</Guid>
			<Name>ftp</Name>
			<Events>
				<Event>
					<TypeGuid>lPpw5bE/QSamTgZP2MNslQ==</TypeGuid>
					<Parameters>
						<Parameter>0</Parameter>
						<Parameter>d:\dropbox\keepass\database.kdbx</Parameter>
					</Parameters>
				</Event>
			</Events>
			<Conditions />
			<Actions>
				<Action>
					<TypeGuid>Iq135Bd4Tu2ZtFcdArOtTQ==</TypeGuid>
					<Parameters>
						<Parameter>ftp://storage.local.lan/Database.kdbx</Parameter>
						<Parameter>ftpuser</Parameter>
						<Parameter>Test123</Parameter>
					</Parameters>
				</Action>
			</Actions>
		</Trigger>
	</Triggers>
</TriggerCollection>
If use saving trigger it gets stuck in loop, if use the saved trigger it errors with file being open I think.. Here is the thing - were are you going to use this file? Since your not opening it directly. If you want to have multiple computers use the same file then you should just open the file directly from ftp I would think?

As others have mentioned, not just me - use a different sync system to sync your keepass database file.. It is SO MUCH EASIER!!! Like I said I just run the portable version and put the whole thing in a dropbox. Now I have keeppass where ever I need it, on any machine I have dropbox on, or even if out and about via can just grab the database from the dropbox web gui, etc.

hi

may i ask you about the code ?

where and how should i use?

were you able to sync only when the database has been changed?

you said you put your keepass on dropbox , but if you want to use on another pc ,you have to download and run it on the pc ,right?

thanks

again sorry for my poor english :(

That code is from keepass, click tools export triggers.

If  you added a condition that something was changed sure..

If you have dropbox on another machine, and you sync that folder it would already be there.  How do you think your database on a ftp server is going to work?  If you don't download the file?

hi

may i ask you what is it whs ?

did you installed a dropbox plugin?

WHS is Windows Home Server, I have a home server where I keep important files.

No, I did not install a plugin for dropbox, I do have dropbox running on my local computer.

This will sync on save, even if you didn't change anything. If you do a save without changing any fields the sync will run and make no changes. If you exit without saving, no sync will run.

WHS is Windows Home Server, I have a home server where I keep important files.

No, I did not install a plugin for dropbox, I do have dropbox running on my local computer.

This will sync on save, even if you didn't change anything. If you do a save without changing any fields the sync will run and make no changes. If you exit without saving, no sync will run.

thanks Joe