A timely reminder to clean out your gear

I just finished cleaning out my laptop's innards after having problems with BSOD* & cleaning out one of my PS3s after the fans was constantly going into hyper-speed all the time. It never ceases to amaze me just how much dust gets caught and caked-on inside of electronic gadgets, even in environments that are pretty clean. I sometimes suffer allergies so I try to keep the house dust free, we have no carpet nor any pets.

My laptop is running considerably cooler than it was and the fan isn't constantly kicking into high-gear on relatively light loads. I'm also happy to report the PS3 is also running smoothly.

So, if you've been putting it off, maybe you should set aside some times to clean out your gizmos pZIkh8E.gif

*I ran memtest and it reported no errors so I decided to crack open the case.

With two cats, it's amazing how often I have to clean the computers..I should just turn my computers into vacuums lol I have to make sure to do it every couple of months at least..

I'm usually good about cleaning my computer, but I have gotten real lazy :D That, and I don't have compressed air cans

I removed the cover from the top of my case.

Can't be arsed to clean them at the moment :p

Ha. Wow. You might need a facemask when you clean that one  :shiftyninja:

That, and I don't have compressed air cans

Compressed air. Hate how expensive it is. I have heard to alternatives like the O2 Hurricane, but the reviews on Amazon are pretty average/below average.

Ha. Wow. You might need a facemask when you clean that one  :shiftyninja:

Compressed air. Hate how expensive it is. I have heard to alternatives like the O2 Hurricane, but the reviews on Amazon are pretty average/below average.

Yeah, it can get expensive - like $6 for 2 cans. I'd just use a regular vacuum. Never heard of 02 Hurricane, but upon research, get something like the Metro Vacuum, which has great reviews.

Yeah, it can get expensive - like $6 for 2 cans. I'd just use a regular vacuum. Never heard of 02 Hurricane, but upon research, get something like the Metro Vacuum, which has great reviews.

I paid $12 for ONE can last time..Another place has A can for $8...lol It's one reason I don't clean them more often

I bought a Hurricane for work and really like it.  It is NOT as powerful as a can of air, but obviously lasts a LOT longer.  I think it works fine for most things.  We use for computers, filters, and general stuff.  Super handy.  Don't have to worry about turning it upside down and getting the frost like you do with canned air.

I have a friend that uses a backpack leaf blower, lol.  He works at a school and uses it during the summer to blow out all the machines.

$6 for 2 cans? What size are we talking? The cheapest I can remember seeing here is like $9 for a 400ml can. There might be cheaper ones but since I rarely use it I don't actively scout out the cheapest price.

I've found a local seller of The DataVac? Electric Duster? ED500 so I think I will pick one  up soon.

I have a friend that uses a backpack leaf blower, lol.  He works at a school and uses it during the summer to blow out all the machines.

Lol. That is one way of doing it, I suppose  :laugh:

I clean my removable dust filters every week and do a compressed air blow out every month.

You could use your ghostly ability to pass through things to enter the system and disrupt the dust! WvDIfFi.gif

You could save a bundle on compressed air.

I few months ago, one of my Dad's colleagues asked if I could upgrade his computer. So anyway, I receive the computer and it's an E6600 based CPU, 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard drive etc and the guy wanted something a bit faster. So I open the case to start removing components and was greeted with this: cOpqukZ.jpg.

Took me about 30 minutes to clean it out. I removed every single component out of the case so I could blast all of it with Canned Air then used baby wipes to wipe all the insides out. Wasn't very nice.

I few months ago, one of my Dad's colleagues asked if I could upgrade his computer. So anyway, I receive the computer and it's an E6600 based CPU, 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard drive etc and the guy wanted something a bit faster. So I open the case to start removing components and was greeted with this: .

Took me about 30 minutes to clean it out. I removed every single component out of the case so I could blast all of it with Canned Air then used baby wipes to wipe all the insides out. Wasn't very nice.

Please tell me you use some for of face/breathing & maybe even eye protection before you started cleaning that! I smoke and just looking at that makes by airways hurt.

Please tell me you use some for of face/breathing & maybe even eye protection before you started cleaning that! I smoke and just looking at that makes by airways hurt.

I did :)

I few months ago, one of my Dad's colleagues asked if I could upgrade his computer. So anyway, I receive the computer and it's an E6600 based CPU, 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard drive etc and the guy wanted something a bit faster. So I open the case to start removing components and was greeted with this: cOpqukZ.jpg.

Looks like one of the systems I cleaned at the veterinary clinic when I returned after 2 1/2 years. It had been abundantly clear that nobody had taken over that job when I left.

Reverse vacuum cleaner does the job just fine. :laugh:

think everyone needs one of these too. I have one.. its AMAZING!!!

96-367-012-03.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414440632&sr=8-1&keywords=datavac

If you blow out a computer, always remember to hold the fans still as you blow, the guy in the video below did not.

post-4927-0-72247800-1414440576.jpg

Ive seen PCs with mouse nests on the inside, spiders crawling around, and a thick damp layer of dust/dirt.  And if you ever worked on a smokers PC, have fun with that.

What Ive used at my last job.  Works great, blows really hard, and never have to worry about the can running out.  It is a little loud tho but works great otherwise.

DO NOT use an air compressor unless it has a moisture trap.  Otherwise, may fry components.

I did :)

Wise man. :)

Looks like one of the systems I cleaned at the veterinary clinic when I returned after 2 1/2 years. It had been abundantly clear that nobody had taken over that job when I left.

And let me guess, everyone was complaining their system was slow, unresponsive, etc?

I just use my leaf blower, works pretty well for cleaning the car out too. :laugh:

True techie shortcut  :laugh:

what i used to do is take the thin attachment from a vacuum cleaner and tape a straw to it. works great.

I'll keep that in mind.

DO NOT use an air compressor unless it has a moisture trap.  Otherwise, may fry components.

Nonsense. You can give your components a quick shower  :woot:  Water doesn't hurt electronics, right? :p

If you happen to have a leaf blower (or know somebody that does), they do an amazing job. I would say it's a 2 man job though, otherwise you are very likely to send your PC flying.

Also, from watching that video above, it reminded me a lot of an inflatable bed pump that I have. I'll have to dig it out and give it a try.

Not sure if it will be powerful enough, but they are really cheap.

EDIT: Not looking that great, but if your system isn't too caked up, it could do the trick.

Doesn't help that this guy is an idiot. :/