A timely reminder to clean out your gear

I make my cats lick the motherboard clean. :ninja:

You sick bastard! You probably make them do that while the PC is still on, right? O_o

This thread keeps reminding me I need to clean my computer, not good. Luckily there does seem to be much dust accumulation.

Cats would never lick it. I offered my friends cat a piece of expensive steak and it turned it nose up at it.  :laugh:

My laptop is running anywhere from 5 to 12 degrees cooler (depending on load) than before I cleaned it. Prevention is better than cure, I suppose.

Ha! I've opened computers with so much dust on them it was incredible; once I've opened a computer that it had a dead mouse carcass in it...disgusting was the least of it.  :x

anyways, i keep all my systems very clean, with one or twice quick cleans per week (together with the house cleaning) and the complete thorough cleaning once in 6 months (since the quicks don't allow to gather much dust, the complete is also quick to finish). Also in here a good compressed air can is like 12?, so i just bought a cheap and small air compressor, with low BAR, for my airbrush paintings and the occasional cleaning's :) 

I do know that good maintenance equals good durability, so i do my best!

Thank you for the reminder and thank you for that video of the Dust Vac, incredible little device by the looks of it, Will try and pick up one tomorrow for a good clean out of the PC, PS3 and PS4. 

There's little to no smog here (only smug) and nobody smokes so dust easily comes off. I just use the vacuum cleaner (2200W) though I'm still unsure if it's risky to use the brush attachments on electronics (I currently only use the crevice attachment). Same for canned air due to the condensation it causes. Any suggestion to something like that Electric Duster or a small compressor that I could buy here in Europe (220v compatible)? I saw something like the Michelin MCX6 (air compressor) but it's still pretty big.

Yeah, it can get expensive - like $6 for 2 cans. I'd just use a regular vacuum. Never heard of 02 Hurricane, but upon research, get something like the Metro Vacuum, which has great reviews.

I own the Metro. Love it. Absolutely love it. There has been a thread or two on it already. I believe warwagon also owns it.

EDIT - And I see he shared the fact on Page 2. It really was such a great purchase. I use it for so much.

Lately I have been using it to clean off all the dust of my vinyl records. Takes about 1 second. :punk:

think everyone needs one of these too. I have one.. its AMAZING!!!

If you blow out a computer, always remember to hold the fans still as you blow, the guy in the video below did not.

The computer in the photo you attached has dead caps. Don't bother cleaning that board! :P

Ha! I've opened computers with so much dust on them it was incredible; once I've opened a computer that it had a dead mouse carcass in it...disgusting was the least of it.  :x

I've heard this thing about mice getting into cases a lot. How the hell do they get into the case? Spiders? I get that. Flies, midges, mosquitoes, moths and other insects? I can see how they could. But how the hell does a mice get into a case?

Thank you for the reminder and thank you for that video of the Dust Vac, incredible little device by the looks of it, Will try and pick up one tomorrow for a good clean out of the PC, PS3 and PS4. 

I've scheduled a recurring 3 month reminder in my calender. 

Lately I have been using it to clean off all the dust of my vinyl records. Takes about 1 second. :punk:

Vinyl. You hipster :p

My dad used to own a lot of vinyl, I basically grew up listening to all of the best rock music from his era on vinyl. I thought about investing in vinyl but even just my top 10 albums would cost a fortune to buy.

Basic dust filters look like they won't do ######, but are amazingly effective.

True that. I've also heard that in a pinch you can use pantyhose as makeshift dust filters.

So if your Mrs. wears them (or you are a cross-dresser, I'm not judging  :laugh:) you can reuse them as filters.

I've heard this thing about mice getting into cases a lot. How the hell do they get into the case? Spiders? I get that. Flies, midges, mosquitoes, moths and other insects? I can see how they could. But how the hell does a mice get into a case?

in that particular case it had a open hole (for the cdrom), so i guess it went there looking for some comfort and died; it took really long time for someone to notice that because the case was full of epic amounts of dust, with no smell of a dead carcass, just a overall overheated computer :/

Vinyl. You hipster :p

My dad used to own a lot of vinyl, I basically grew up listening to all of the best rock music from his era on vinyl. I thought about investing in vinyl but even just my top 10 albums would cost a fortune to buy.

Not to go too OT, but a lot of the old stuff amazingly is getting reissued, and usually costs about $20-$25, and the really cool part is a lot of the releases are also including a digital download.

It is no doubt more expensive than CD's or going digital, but there are three things that make it worth it for me...

1) The Intimacy - Just the experience of putting a record on the record player and lowering the needle means it is a much, much more intimate experience. It makes the music mean that much more. I realize this can sound kind of out there, but it really is true. When you play a record, you are taking steps to play it. It is an overall experience.

2) Album Cover Art. Even better is when they include an album insert, which is usually the lyrics. As an artist myself, I really, really appreciate both of these aspects, and they are really becoming a lost art form. IMHO There is nothing quite look a well designed album cover.

3) The sound really is as pure as it gets.

Really it all comes down to one thing though. I grew up with records, and I miss it. It is no doubt me reliving my youth.

What really got me back into it is I found my old record collection in my parents basement about 6 months ago. I also found my record player. All I needed was a new belt and needle, which both cost me $18 total on eBay. I was back up and running.

Since then I have purchased about 30 new records in addition to the 50 or so I already had. Probably spent about $400 total. I view it like anything else I collect. In fact I just got a new record in the mail today. The new Primus album where they do Willy Wonka. It included a digital download, was $20, and came in chocolate vinyl.

I already have the new Foo Fighters album coming out in November preordered on Vinyl. That is awesome.

I haven't opened up my computer in about 3/4 months now and this thread prompted me to open and check.... perfectly clean!!! I have it sitting on my desk though and im a major clean freak who doesn't smoke in the house. lol

There wasn't even a layer of dust on the bottom of the case or anything, awesome!

I clean mine up when I check smoke detector batteries and/or change the time on the clocks for daylight savings. Been working great, keeping on top of it like that I don't suffer from any 30 minute+ cleaning's.

I clean mine up when I check smoke detector batteries and/or change the time on the clocks for daylight savings. Been working great, keeping on top of it like that I don't suffer from any 30 minute+ cleaning's.

That's actually a good method.

I have 2 graphics cards and 6 hard drives in my case so it's a right ball ache to get everything out and clean it.

I probably only do it once every 6 months or so these days.

• Like 1

how to keep dust out of your house, remove pets and remove humans.  While pets create a lot of dust, humans also create a lot of dust.  Most dust is made of dead human skin that flakes off. 

Compressed canned air is ok, a compressor at 100+ psi is far better (just hold the fans down so they don't over spin and you are good to go) no need to remove components to blast the case with air....I would suggest doing this either outside or in a garage while wearing a mask.