Streaming from Mac to Xbox One

Does anyone know of a successful way of streaming from their Mac to Xbox One? Right now, I have been just plugging in a USB to the back of my TV since the DLNA method of my TV doesn't get along with Plex to well.

I know Plex has came out for Xbox One, but I'm not looking to pay monthly to stream from my computer.

The method I currently use is MediaBrowser.  I can stream using IE on the XB1, Media Player on the XB1, or by pushing it to DLNA and using Videos on the XB1.  It's the best method I've found so far.  I think they're coming out with an app soon also.

Thank you, I'll try it out.

So, Xbox One supports DLNA? Wouldn't it recognize my Plex Media Server like my TV does?

Try doing it from the Media Player.  You have to wait a couple seconds as it reaches out to find it.  I start the media player, wait a couple seconds, then it finds my MediaBrowser server and everything is there.

Try doing it from the Media Player.  You have to wait a couple seconds as it reaches out to find it.  I start the media player, wait a couple seconds, then it finds my MediaBrowser server and everything is there.

I seemed to forgot my sudo password? Do I need to "sudo xcodebuild -license" before install macports? Because I skipped it and installed MacPorts. It seems to be working when I open it via terminal, but once I close terminal then the server shuts down.

• 2 weeks later...

Universal Media Server also works great. Just launch the app on your Mac and it will show up as a DLNA server on the One, and you can point it to any folder(s) on your HDD or External HDD. Supports MKV's as well. It is the only streaming solution (well besides a Chromecast) that I use at home, and it plays 95% of what I throw at it.

Universal Media Server also works great. Just launch the app on your Mac and it will show up as a DLNA server on the One, and you can point it to any folder(s) on your HDD or External HDD. Supports MKV's as well. It is the only streaming solution (well besides a Chromecast) that I use at home, and it plays 95% of what I throw at it.

The thing I like about Media Browser is that you drop the file in the folder and it goes out and gets all the information on it.  If you're using the Media Player on the one you get the files appear as their movie posters.  If you use IE you can see all sorts of information on the movie such as synopsis, trailer, rotten tomato score, actors w/ bios, etc.  An no need to convert any files either.  

The thing I like about Media Browser is that you drop the file in the folder and it goes out and gets all the information on it.  If you're using the Media Player on the one you get the files appear as their movie posters.  If you use IE you can see all sorts of information on the movie such as synopsis, trailer, rotten tomato score, actors w/ bios, etc.  An no need to convert any files either.  

With UMS as long as you have a JPEG that is the same name as the file itself it will show up as a thumbnail when browsing. Honestly while all that other stuff is nice and may be useful to some people, not really needed on my end. If it is in my Media Library I know what it is.

?? I have never had to convert a single file using UMS.

With UMS as long as you have a JPEG that is the same name as the file itself it will show up as a thumbnail when browsing. Honestly while all that other stuff is nice and may be useful to some people, not really needed on my end. If it is in my Media Library I know what it is.

?? I have never had to convert a single file using UMS.

Ahh, OK.  I just looked at the FAQ you linked to and it looked a little daunting...

Although another benefit of MB is how I can access it from any device (as in outside the house).

• 4 weeks later...

I'll look into it. Thank you.

Well Media Browser was working, and after the update it stopped showing my TV folder. Then 2 Media Browsers would be found by my xbox which both didn't have my TV folder. I even installed their new OSX installer, then I started seeing 6 Media Browsers. It all started when I asked on the forum how to run the app permanently without leaving terminal opened and someone gave me a "sudo" command, which worked before the latest updates that have been coming out.