Visiting Egypt - need advice

I wanted to visit this country since I was very young, but I never had the chance, till now. It has been my biggest wish, for obvious reasons, since I'm really fascinated by their history, myths, etc. So I'm planning for a Egypt vacation next summer with my girl and another couple and I really need some advice, either from people that were there before or people that live in this country.

At first, I planned to stay a week there, but then I realized that maybe I won't have enough time to visit everything I want, so (if I'm right) I can stay for 2 weeks if needed. To be more specific, I plan to visit most of the sites, like Giza, Karnak, Luxor, the museum in Cairo, Abu Simbel, Aswan, etc.

So what I wish to know is:

- when would be the best time to go there, for climate reasons (I hate heat...);

- where should I stay (some good hotels);

- should I get a all inclusive package or should I eat elsewhere (I don't know anything about local food);

- where can I take pictures and where it's forbidden (obviously, I'm talking about the visiting sites);

- how are the prices there, for basic stuff, just to make an idea (like how much is a beer, or a pack of cigarettes);

- anything else that you think I would need to know.

Thanks! :)

Did any of their relics survive their rioting a few years back? I remember seeing on the news how they trashed their museums etc.

Pretty sure it is still under civil unrest due to the collapse of their government...

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

Sharm el Sheik is still relatively safe to visit still... but... i'd still not risk visiting Egypt at all.

I went there a few years ago, albeit to Sharm and to be honest, I was really let down. I understand cultural differences but WOW - they are disgraceful. Learing over my wife (fully covered!) and making rude comments. Went into one shop to buy a suitcase and the owners were being nice and friendly and asked if they could have a photo with us. He proceeded to grope her breasts (No joke - again she was not showing flesh) - he came close to getting the ###### kicked out of him. Icing on the cake was at the resort the maids stole from a couple of girls safe (everyone knows how to override the keypad) - didn't steal ALL their money, but most of it so it would make them think they mis-counted. When one of the off duty holiday makers who was a detective went with the girls to the station, they were told they would NOT investigate the crime unless she agrees to stay in the country for at least 28 days. This was on their last day. They had to drop it.

Did any of their relics survive their rioting a few years back? I remember seeing on the news how they trashed their museums etc.

Pretty sure it is still under civil unrest due to the collapse of their government...

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

Sharm el Sheik is still relatively safe to visit still... but... i'd still not risk visiting Egypt at all.

I went there a few years ago, albeit to Sharm and to be honest, I was really let down. I understand cultural differences but WOW - they are disgraceful. Learing over my wife (fully covered!) and making rude comments. Went into one shop to buy a suitcase and the owners were being nice and friendly and asked if they could have a photo with us. He proceeded to grope her breasts (No joke - again she was not showing flesh) - he came close to getting the ###### kicked out of him. Icing on the cake was at the resort the maids stole from a couple of girls safe (everyone knows how to override the keypad) - didn't steal ALL their money, but most of it so it would make them think they mis-counted. When one of the off duty holiday makers who was a detective went with the girls to the station, they were told they would NOT investigate the crime unless she agrees to stay in the country for at least 28 days. This was on their last day. They had to drop it.

Damn. I knew that things are a little...nasty out there, but I didn't think it was this bad... As for the riot, well they did do some damage, but that's only the museum, they didn't collapse the pyramids & stuff  :laugh: