How to "Log off" using new Windows Developer Preview (build 9860)?

You could get the run box the same on windows 10 as you do on 8.1, the right click power user menu is still there in 10 like it is in 8.x.   And like others have said, the search box in the menu itself, as far as I've seen, works the same as the run dialog box does.  Try using it the same way you use run and see.

Whoever decided that at Microsoft should be fired.

It's the least obvious/intuitive thing in the world.

I actually think it's very obvious. I much prefer that method to stuffing more options into the "power" menu.

I use Windows key + R .... ALL time time

As do I. Search a lot of times, there is a delay while it lists the matches.  With run, no delay as long as you know the command name.

You wouldn't sign out of a public PC?

Just close the browser.  As long as you are not saving your logon info, that will log you out without having to click log out in Neowin.

Also, "Run" is missing.

I'll stick with Start8 for the time being.

Right click the default start button in Win10\Win8 and the run command is there.  So instead of left clicking, just right click instead.

George P, on 27 Oct 2014 - 13:39, said:

It's the same way in Windows 8.x on the start screen, so in this case it's a consistent UI choice, could change later but for now it's the same between the menu and screen option.

I total disagree. Microsoft should put a log off button next to the power button.

It doesn't matter how Windows 8.1 does it since Microsoft is trying to woo Windows 7 users.

I total disagree. Microsoft should put a log off button next to the power button.

It doesn't matter how Windows 8.1 does it since Microsoft is trying to woo Windows 7 users.

Even if the goal is to woo 7 users it doesn't have to change things between the menu and the start screen too much.  The UI itself is going to be dynamic, so you have to account for hybrid devices which seem to make up more and more of the market.   Just having a down arrow next to the name is fine IMO, no need to clutter the menu with another button.   The arrow is enough of a visual clue for users to click on and find what they need.

Microsoft should put a log off button next to the power button.

No they don't need to.

You have hotkey for that. In case you do not know, here it is:

Windows 8.x and up: Go to your desktop tile and click on it and you will be at the desktop, press ALT and F4 keys at once and go from there.

Same to the previous version of Windows such as 95, 98, XP, Vista....

This hotkey won't work on Windows 8.x and up if you are on the start screen because the function is already up there under your username. Only on Desktop.

People are still replying to this?

I got my answer ages ago.

Now people are just trying to be awkward and argumentative.