X-Wing, Tie Fighter Are FINALLY Getting Digital Re-Releases

X-WingTie Fighter Are FINALLY Getting Digital Re-Releases

r8j8rqzhifxgr7jvgfks.jpg

Jeez, it only took decades, but two of the finest space combat games - not to mention best Star Wars games - of all time are about to get a re-release.

Special downloadable versions of both X-Wing and Tie Fighter will soon be released on Good Old Games. They'll be $10 each.

For that price you're getting not just the special editions of the games (which had slightly higher resolutions and improved sound, as well all of both games' expansions), but more importantly they'll be editions of the games that will run on a modern PC without the need to tinker.

The Special Edition offered here, includes Star Wars?: TIE Fighter and Star Wars?: TIE Fighter - Defender of the Empire, both in the 1994 and 1998 versions!

The Special Edition offered here, includes Star Wars: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM and both Tour of Duty expansions: Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing.

It's crazy that it's taken this long. These games were two of the giants of PC gaming in the 1990s, and from the mission design to the combat still hold up very well today. If you've never played either of them, but keep hearing people like me blabbing on about how f***ing fantastic they were/are, this is going to be $10 well spent.

Note that the announcement of both games comes via a GoG forum notice, which spilled the beans a little early. Similar postings reveal other classic Lucasarts games will also be coming to GoG, such as Fate of Atlantis, KOTOR and Sam & Max (though of course they're exciting, since they've long been available on services like Steam).

Given the timing of the posting, it looks like both X-Wing and Tie Fighter will be available as early as tomorrow.

Tie Fighter [GOG]

X-Wing [GOG]

(via Sir_Crocodile @ NeoGAF]

yvtihy4s8ykbvzh00dfa.jpg

Source: Kotaku

mmhmm :p

Not even close.  Those wings will be fertilizer as the fun is just ramping up with ONE of those Star Wars titles.

Links are bad? :c

But, wheres the X-Wing Alliance love? That game had better graphics and smooth animations... Granted not the best story, but I loved creating missions with the custom mission editors... so much mayhem c;

Links are bad? :c

But, wheres the X-Wing Alliance love? That game had better graphics and smooth animations... Granted not the best story, but I loved creating missions with the custom mission editors... so much mayhem c;

The links were from pages that went live prematurely.  They'll be back up on the 28th.

I think I'm gonna cry tears of joy. These games are almost my favorite games ever. Loosing only to High Octane.

HIGH-OCTANE! I lost 1995 to that game

Note that the announcement of both games comes via a GoG forum notice, which spilled the beans a little early. Similar postings reveal other classic Lucasarts games will also be coming to GoG, such as Fate of Atlantis, KOTOR and Sam & Max (though of course they're exciting, since they've long been available on services like Steam).

I wasn't aware Sam & Max Hit the Road was on Steam.. and it still isn't by the looks of it.