Vinyl Discussion

I thought I would make this topic to continue a discussion about Vinyl that DirtyLarry and I started here. I copied Larry's post:

... a lot of the old stuff amazingly is getting reissued, and usually costs about $20-$25, and the really cool part is a lot of the releases are also including a digital download.

It is no doubt more expensive than CD's or going digital, but there are three things that make it worth it for me...
1) The Intimacy - Just the experience of putting a record on the record player and lowering the needle means it is a much, much more intimate experience. It makes the music mean that much more. I realize this can sound kind of out there, but it really is true. When you play a record, you are taking steps to play it. It is an overall experience.
2) Album Cover Art. Even better is when they include an album insert, which is usually the lyrics. As an artist myself, I really, really appreciate both of these aspects, and they are really becoming a lost art form. IMHO There is nothing quite look a well designed album cover.
3) The sound really is as pure as it gets.

Really it all comes down to one thing though. I grew up with records, and I miss it. It is no doubt me reliving my youth.

What really got me back into it is I found my old record collection in my parents basement about 6 months ago. I also found my record player. All I needed was a new belt and needle, which both cost me $18 total on eBay. I was back up and running.

Since then I have purchased about 30 new records in addition to the 50 or so I already had. Probably spent about $400 total. I view it like anything else I collect. In fact I just got a new record in the mail today. The new Primus album where they do Willy Wonka. It included a digital download, was $20, and came in chocolate vinyl.

I already have the new Foo Fighters album coming out in November preordered on Vinyl. That is awesome.

When I was a kid I would beg my dad to let me change the records. He'd rarely let me because he was worried I scratch them or mess up the stylus.

The physical experience of putting on a record, especially of an album you can listen to from start to finish, is something that digital can't offer.

Having said that, there are some genre which don't benefit from the sound of Vinyl IMO. I think rock sounds wonderful on vinyl. Classical doesn't enjoy any benefit as far as I can tell.

I've been collecting vinyl for a number of years.  My big genres are 60's and very early 70's reggae, as well as 70's and early 80's punk..  Tons of 45s and LPs.  A lot of it hasn't been released on CD or MP3.  I DJ with them as well.

• 1 month later...

Count me in as another happy vinyl spinner ... still got all my old stuff from the 70's/80's and still buying today!

Here's some random pics of the gear ...

WP_20140606_0031.jpg

WP_20140928_0031.jpg

WP_20140928_0041.jpg

All sounding pretty good these days, although it's taking a while to get the stylus alignment 'just right' ... all part of the fun!!

• 2 years later...

I collect some, just bought the new Jason Isbell on vinyl for the wife. Nice to have and do when i have time to sit down. But nothing beats having all my tunes on my phone.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well another year rolls by! ... and after experimenting with the Arcam Alpha amps for a spell I've gone back to my old Musical Fidelity A2! ... it just works!

Also gone back to my trusty A&R P77 cartridge (with a paratrace tip courtesy of Expert Stylus Co in Surrey)

WP_20181118_18_15_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20181127_11_59_39_Pro.jpg

WP_20180818_12_06_44_Pro.jpg

I miss vinyl...

Quite a contrast to this mostly PLEXY discussion:

I once lived down the street from a music reviewer for a major city newspaper. Walking into his living room, 1 wall was a window, every other scrap of wall space was shelves of vinyl with a stereo crammed in there somewhere!

It was magic...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been spinning some old stuff recently , including this! ... the first LP I ever bought (also happened to be the first 'real' band I saw live!

WP_20190216_17_12_06_Pro[1].jpg

Meanwhile ... Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' is currently on the spin cycle!

• 3 weeks later...

These are worth a spin! ... The Neal Morse Band ... bit of a marathon to do it all at one sitting though , coming in at 5 and a half Lp's ...

morse.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I started back collecting records with the wife, and we are having a lot of fun with it. We picked up a Audio Technica LP120 deck, and we really like it. I do have a couple of questions and was hoping someone on here could help me.

1. I am using an Onkyo RZ810 Receiver, which has a Phono input. However, the audio is quite lower than other inputs. I understand that since it's coming from the cartridge, the audio is naturally lower than a line-level input. Will getting a MM/MC preamp like the Pro-Ject Audio help out? It's only $100, may be worth trying?

2. I have some light dust on some of my records, what is the best way to just remove the dust. Searching Google and Reddit comes up with homemade solutions for deep cleaning the records. What's the best and safest way to just remove the dust, not looking to completely bathe my records.. not yet anyway ;)

@fusi0nI merged your vinyl thread with this one.

I've been thinking about getting into vinyls ... just haven't quite sorted out which player gives the best bang for the buck.

4 minutes ago, Jim K said:

@fusi0nI merged your vinyl thread with this one.

I've been thinking about getting into vinyls ... just haven't quite sorted out which player gives the best bang for the buck.

Cool thanks! Didn't know this thread was here. . :D

If you go with the Audio Technica LP120, that'll last you for a while. If you get something cheapish, you'll end up upgrading it later. Not sure where you live, but if you live close to a Bargain Hunt, you can get one pretty cheap. I got mine for $60 lol

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...