HP Laptop - flash player performance

Hey guys. I have a pretty old laptop around the house and I recently took some interest into upgrading it to make it more usable. The laptop is a HP 530, with some core duo CPU, 4GB of ram, 200 GB HDD and an integrated Intel GMA 945 gpu. Obviously, I don't expect much from it, but I expect it to be fine for web browsing, email, office, etc. So there's one thing that bugs me and I want to know if it's normal or not. I'm talking about some Facebook flash games. The performance is horrible (Chrome), like 5-10 fps, on medium or low quality. Is it normal, or can I do something about it? I only tried this on Chrome, but I doubt that it will be better on other browsers. Also, video playback (flash video I mean) is fine, no lag, no nothing, I don't know if it matters to my problem. I tried with hardware acceleration disabled and enabled, it's the same.

What do you guys think?  :s

try IE11 you will be surprised. Also check for an updated display driver

I'll try IE 11 now. And I have the latest Intel driver for this gpu, so that's not it. I'll get back after the IE test.

Well, on IE the game doesn't even work, it's stuck in a "start loop". The power settings are set to high performance, since the laptop is always plugged in (the battery is basically dead). I cannot believe that this gpu is so damn ancient that it can't run a flash game decently...

They were crap GPUs all along. Why don't you get a new laptop instead? :D

Because I don't need a laptop, I have my desktop and it's more than enough. But this thing was lying around here, and I had the spare parts to make it better (it had only 1GB of ram and a 80GB hdd originally). I thought I would use it just for this, browsing and playing my regular online games. Unfortunately one of them is flash based and it runs like crap on the laptop...

What OS are you running? Maybe Windows 8.1 will make it better? My sis has a 7 year old Samsung with an 945 GPU she has no issues with IE11 but we have fast speed RAM and 64-bit os.

I run 8.1, I tried 7 but I think 8.1 is faster overall. I can't run 64bit, since the CPU doesn't support it.

You have an Intel GMA 945.

There are modders that manage to squeeze more performance out of these.

Have a look as I do not recall any direct links.

Ontop of which IE should be able to work fine if you enable Hardware Acceleration. 

This will be locked for your card but a simple registry change can enable hardware acceleration.

I'd check it without a graphics driver at all in 8.1 since they changed the generic display driver pretty drastically.  But with the integrated junk not even fully featured in Vista you might be better off with older OSes.

I'd check it without a graphics driver at all in 8.1 since they changed the generic display driver pretty drastically.  But with the integrated junk not even fully featured in Vista you might be better off with older OSes.

Well there is no driver for 8.1 from Intel, I got the one from Windows Update. There is a Windows 7 driver but I doubt it would work on 8.1... As for older OS, I did try XP before and it's the same thing, everything is fine, except the damn flash player problem...

Get the drivers from intel.com not windows update. Moreover, from the manufacturer will be even better.

You haven't read my previous reply. :) I'm using Win 8.1, Intel doesn't offer drivers for this OS for this GPU.

I came across these a while ago. Haven't tried them myself as I do not have any GMA devices.

http://danielkawakami.blogspot.de/2014/08/intel-gma-9503000-series-feature-pack.html

Can't install these, they fail at "Device check", something like GMA950/3000 not found. Maybe they don't support this GPU.

Riva: 

Intel doesn't really provide drivers for older devices.

MS is in charge of providing a "standard" driver through Win Update on Windows 7 / 8.1 / 10 etc.

These drivers are usually very basic and do not offer the Intel Control Panel or any sort of enhancements.

Can't install these, they fail at "Device check", something like GMA950/3000 not found. Maybe they don't support this GPU.

I think the dev might have screwed up on the "identification" part of the device since the software is just a patcher of sorts.

The mod from the facebook link didn't work either? 

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pkkp22yly82vv7y/PHDGD+Classic+Graphics+Driver.7z

These are the devIDs the driver supports:

[Intel.Mfg]
%iLPGD0% = i945G0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2772
%iLPGD1% = i945G1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2776
%iCLGD0% = i945GM0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A2
%iCLGD1% = i945GM1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A6
%iCLGE0% = i945GME0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27AE

The 945 chipset is extremely poor for graphical performance.

Even with Windows 7, it struggles to run flash well. This is likely because there are no REAL driver for 7 (just Intel repackaging a generic driver for WDM compatibility).

Windows Vista had drivers that could run on 945, but it required some work to get them running.

Honestly, I would write off the idea of playing flash games on this one.

I currently have a Pentium D chip that is the same chip as yours just die shrunk and rebranded, and it won't run what you are chasing. Driver issues still present for it as well. I couldn't get it to run YouTube well :(

Hooray for having tried this before and still not having an answer :(

Sorry mate.

The 945 chipset is extremely poor for graphical performance.

Even with Windows 7, it struggles to run flash well. This is likely because there are no REAL driver for 7 (just Intel repackaging a generic driver for WDM compatibility).

Windows Vista had drivers that could run on 945, but it required some work to get them running.

Honestly, I would write off the idea of playing flash games on this one.

I currently have a Pentium D chip that is the same chip as yours just die shrunk and rebranded, and it won't run what you are chasing. Driver issues still present for it as well. I couldn't get it to run YouTube well :(

Hooray for having tried this before and still not having an answer :(

Sorry mate.

Well that's what puzzles me, youtube videos work fine, even HD, no lag, no nothing. Obviously, a flash game is more resource demanding, but still, there's a huge difference in performance.

I guess I'll use the damn thing for something else, don't know what yet. It's not a bad configuration if you don't consider that crappy gpu, the OS runs very good, browsing is good, etc., so there must be some good use for it.

YouTube will likely be streaming in H264 now, that's likely going to make it easier for the CPU to chew through it.

My experience with running H264 720p was passable, anything past that and it struggled badly.

If I let it run Flash, it would just glitch up and bog down.

Seeing similar on your end?

YouTube will likely be streaming in H264 now, that's likely going to make it easier for the CPU to chew through it.

My experience with running H264 720p was passable, anything past that and it struggled badly.

If I let it run Flash, it would just glitch up and bog down.

Seeing similar on your end?

Yeap, 720p runs fine, however 1080p is laggy.

I'd just replace it with an Atom 3xxx build or even one of those Stream 11/14 things.  Old integrated graphics are not likely to ever run well.

It's unfortunate what with the CPU being so capable, but it might be a lost cause.