Galaxy S5 Update question

hi,

I have a question regarding the updates of Galaxy S5 and specifically for the model ; SM-G900H which is factory Unlocked!

So how do the updates work? I have read at many sites that the respective phone carriers release updates OTA. So what if the phone is unlocked? Since I can put in any sim so where do phones like these get their updates from? 

thanks

hi,

I have a question regarding the updates of Galaxy S5 and specifically for the model ; SM-G900H which is factory Unlocked!

So how do the updates work? I have read at many sites that the respective phone carriers release updates OTA. So what if the phone is unlocked? Since I can put in any sim so where do phones like these get their updates from? 

thanks

OTA updates from the carriers.  Unlocked phone...should be able to receive the OTAs no problem.  Its when you root/apply a custom ROM that breaks the OTAs.

OTA updates from the carriers.  Unlocked phone...should be able to receive the OTAs no problem.  Its when you root/apply a custom ROM that breaks the OTAs.

Thanks. And can these updates be performed via wifi? or a Data/4G/ LTE connection is required?

Pretty sure it will use WiFi if enabled/connected. Believe OTA data connection is just used for verification.

Would there be any problem installing updating via wifi if i don't have any Data Plan? I only have Wifi.

Would there be any problem installing updating via wifi if i don't have any Data Plan? I only have Wifi.

I dont believe so.  And you can always use the Samsung Kies software to apply the update if not.  I know my N7 doesnt require a data connection and is updated via Wifi.  But that is coming from Google, not a carrier.

I dont believe so.  And you can always use the Samsung Kies software to apply the update if not.  I know my N7 doesnt require a data connection and is updated via Wifi.  But that is coming from Google, not a carrier.