Microsoft Band and Microsoft Health Thread

22 members have voted

1. 1. Will You Get The Microsoft Band?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

xpu32w.png Microsoft Band/Microsoft Health Official Thread

No, it's not a band with musical instruments. Apparently Microsoft will be launching their new wearable October 30th. It includes the new Microsoft Health apps for WP, iOS, and Android.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

One user posted a store rep a the MS Store said:

I just picked up a SP 3 at the local Microsoft store and the manager pointed to a bunch of little boxes and told me they were announcing a new device tomorrow and that it was not a phone. He said he had no clue what they were but said they had a conference call tonight at 9:00 for training. I think it has to be the smartwatch.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/upcoming-rumored-devices/320060-microsoft-announce-new-device-thursday-oct-30th.html#post2836607

Microsoft Health:

microsoft-band-preview-02.jpg

Microsoft Health App:

Windows: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appId=0168b504-ca18-46b8-b60a-0f6fdc271c81

iOS: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.kapp

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.kapp

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-health-app-windows-phone

Microsoft_Health_Screenshot.jpg?itok=Vh0

Brad's Tweets

Well pulled the trigger. I've been a bit obsessive with these fitness bands past few months. Currently have a fitbit flex, so curious to see how this one holds up. I do worry about weight/comfortness, if its crap its going back :P

I sure hope I can change the color of the ui (other than the background image). Purple looks nice in these photos, but ya I'll pass at using that in real life :P

A lot of people are liking the cross-platform strategy.

A lot of people are liking the cross-platform strategy.

Yeah, not having this locked to a specific platform and not always needing a phone to be linked to it (though it works fully when you do have a phone, specifically a WP because of the Cortana integration) is another bonus.   Plus having the Health service itself open so 3rd parties can use it, means you can jump between different bands and still keep your same health info and so on.

Does it share data with Apple Health?

Unlikely.  Microsoft's strategy seems to be to collect all the data themselves and encourage other device manufacturers to work with their platform.  They also seem to be helping 3rd parties incorporate advanced sensors that MS Health supports into their devices.

Does it share data with Apple Health?

Nope, we'll have to use services like myfitnesspal to get info from microsoft health, then sync it up with healthkit. Same way it is right now with the fitbit.

Here's Windows Central's preview

These sorts of things don't really interest me but this looks like it would be pretty good if you were after a fitness tracker.  Certainly seems more useful than a smart watch.

• Like 1

It looks great, my biggest gripe is that the UI does go into a "vertical mode" when its on your wrist. If you watch the video when he is using it on the wrist you can see the orientation is a bit awkward. I wish companies would realize this. When you turn your arms towards you to view the screen the screen is in "vertical / portrait " not landscape

I think the biggest lure for me is the band form factor. I like watches, and I'm not going to give up on wearing a 'proper' watch for any of the smartwatch offerings - even the stunning Moto 360 falls far short. I can't exactly wear a smartwatch on one wrist for the numerous benefits, and a real watch on the other. Well, I could, but there are words for people like that.

A bracelet on one wrist and a watch on the other is just fine though. My Fitbit Flex has lived on my wrist for better part of a year now, and it's great, but the Flex is kinda limited. I was going to go for one of the new Charge HRs because heartrate tracking is nice, and then along comes the Microsoft Band that does that and has all kinds of extra sensors on board (you don't often see GSR sensors, Basis B1 has one and that's kind of it in the marketplace), UV exposure and so on. Great. And Cortana tracking. Excellent. And it has Cortana on board. I'm pretty much sold at that point. Sorely tempted to just import one, they're on eBay for $229 plus international shipping. $30 premium isn't too bad really. I'll hold off to see what people's experiences are like.

Unlikely.  Microsoft's strategy seems to be to collect all the data themselves and encourage other device manufacturers to work with their platform.  They also seem to be helping 3rd parties incorporate advanced sensors that MS Health supports into their devices.

AppleInsider now says that it will integrate with Apple's Health. Hopefully that means it will write data to it and not just read from it:

AppleInsider has also been informed that Microsoft intends to support Apple's HealthKit platform in the future. 

Can anyone confirm this:  :/

Even after less than a day of use, it's pretty clear that Microsoft Band is big, bulky, uncomfortable and complex enough to dissuade many from using it.

I've tried wearing it inside the wrist. For typing, that's actually worse, and it doesn't really change the way it feels like a lead weight on the wrist.

Paul is probably still upset that Microsoft sprung a surprise on everyone including regular Microsoft reporters like him and Brad. You should see their tweets from that day. :laugh:

Its heavy compared to the Fitbit Flex & Jawbone, but it does way more than just count steps. Takes some getting used to, but if you ever wore a watch its a non issue.

I'm truely impressed with it, scratches are a bitch but ugh bought the warranty so will just return it for a replacement when it gets too bad.

Battery still going strong, will last longer than 2 days if you don't plan on using GPS thats for sure, still at half from the charge it came with. But GPS KILLLLLLLLLLS it.

That's good to hear (apart from the scratches and GPS quickly draining the battery, but I'm not surprised by that). My watch that I wear everyday weighs more than twice as much and I can't say that I ever even notice it.  

From looking at comparisons between it and other fitness watches, I doubt it is that big of a deal. Compared to fitness bands it seems on the bulkier side, though all reports I have seen say that the wearers stop noticing it pretty quickly.

For a definitive review though - I'd skip anything that Paul Thurrott has to say. I'd go with DC Rainmaker when he gets his unit and reviews it. He's the best reviewer I've come across when it comes to anything sports-gadget related.  I'd say he is the AnandTech of the sports tech world. 

What  does it do different than the FitBit Flex?

My wife is currently obsessed with the FbF but if it does more, this may be something I can pick her up for XMas.

I want it so bad but its us only...Canada left out. Its android 4.4.4+ which makes it "incompatible" with my Telus Samsung S5. Oddly the android app is worldwide but the Windows Phone app is US only  :angry: .

I want it so bad but its us only...Canada left out. Its android 4.4.4+ which makes it "incompatible" with my Telus Samsung S5. Oddly the android app is worldwide but the Windows Phone app is US only  :angry: .

Nope, not available here in the UK. It would be useless without the device though.

What  does it do different than the FitBit Flex?

My wife is currently obsessed with the FbF but if it does more, this may be something I can pick her up for XMas.

Integrated GPS and cellphone notifications are probably the two biggest differentiating factors.

The usefulness of the UV sensor and the galvanic sensor are not yet proven I would say. 

(Heart rate + galvanic sensor. Are they making a new generation polygraph? :D  :shiftyninja: )