Apple CEO Tim Cook Publicly Comes Out as Gay in Letter Declaring Support for Equality

Apple CEO Tim Cook Publicly Comes Out as Gay in Letter Declaring Support for Equality

In a letter written for Bloomberg Businessweek, Apple CEO Tim Cook has publicly come out as gay while declaring his support for equality.

Cook, who has typically kept a low profile on his personal life, says that his decision to publicly acknowledge his sexuality was done to "bring comfort to anyone who feels alone" and to "inspire people to insist on their equality."

I?ll admit that this wasn?t an easy choice. Privacy remains important to me, and I?d like to hold on to a small amount of it. I?ve made Apple my life?s work, and I will continue to spend virtually all of my waking time focused on being the best CEO I can be. That?s what our employees deserve?and our customers, developers, shareholders, and supplier partners deserve it, too. Part of social progress is understanding that a person is not defined only by one?s sexuality, race, or gender. I?m an engineer, an uncle, a nature lover, a fitness nut, a son of the South, a sports fanatic, and many other things. I hope that people will respect my desire to focus on the things I?m best suited for and the work that brings me joy.

Cook has expressed his thoughts on equality numerous times throughout the past couple of years, which include highlighting the subject in a speech at his alma mater Auburn University and establishing his and Apple's support for the Employment Nondiscrimination Act in an op-ed written for The Wall Street Journal.

Earlier this year, Apple also marched in support of the LGBT community during the 44th annual Pride parade, and issued a statement in support of Supreme Court gay marriage rulings in 2013.

Source: Mac Rumors

• Like 2

Well I guess this is why they have such a good sense of design  :laugh:

All jokes aside this is a definite show that this sort of thing shouldn't be holding anyone back.

Well I guess this is why they have such a good sense of design  :laugh:

All jokes aside this is a definite show that this sort of thing shouldn't be holding anyone back.

That would be Jonathan Ive's team... :P

That would be Jonathan Ive's team... :p

Haha, good point lol.

Every time I hear Ive speak I can't help but think he has to be on some kind of drug to sound that mellow all the time.

To be honest, I didn't see this coming.

Granted, I don't know much about him but I've watched all the keynotes he has done, and some of his interviews.

I expected him to have a wife and kids for some reason!

I'm going to get a Muslim's opinion on this tomorrow.

If some Muslims stop buying Apple products due to this, well... man.

It's great that the world's attitudes have changed and there's no longer stigma against different sexualities, genders, and races. The younger generations in particular don't have these kinds of hangups. It's a brave new world folks, and I for one heartily endorse it.

I've suspected this for a while, and have held back on buying Apple products for this reason in part (but mainly due to their lack of openness/restricted low-level access).

It's great that the world's attitudes have changed and there's no longer stigma against different sexualities, genders, and races. The younger generations in particular don't have these kinds of hangups. It's a brave new world folks, and I for one heartily endorse it.

I DON'T. Well done to the media for successfully brainwashing the population.

I'm going to get a Muslim's opinion on this tomorrow.

As a Muslim, I can categorically state that if he chooses to be gay then that is his choice. Believe it or not, most of the Muslim world are regular human beings who live in harmony with all people regardless of religion, creed, colour or sexual orientation. And why choose to highlight just Muslims? Christianity and Judaism as well as a whole host of other religions forbid homosexuality in their scriptures.

I think you'll find that the majority of Muslims who buy Apple products do it for the quality and like for the product, not because of who the CEO is or whether he is gay or not.

And in other news, how bout that Microsoft Band ay!?

Seriously so what hes gay, how does that change anything in the world? it doesn't. Move on people.

• Like 1

And in other news, how bout that Microsoft Band ay!?

Seriously so what hes gay, how does that change anything in the world? it doesn't. Move on people.

psh it changes everything, just look at JCPenny with Ellen DeGeneres... </s>

I've suspected this for a while, and have held back on buying Apple products for this reason in part (but mainly due to their lack of openness/restricted low-level access).

I DON'T. Well done to the media for successfully brainwashing the population.

Am I understanding you right?

Are you saying that you held off buying Apple stuff because you has a suspicion that their CEO was gay?

If so, that's very sad and small minded

• Like 2

Who cares what two (or more) consenting adults do in their home?  Is it anyone else's business? 

"Hey guys!  I've slept with 83 women in my 34 years on this earth! I'm a man-slut!  Buy my products!"  :rolleyes:

i thought it was long time known that tim cook was gay? hardly any news for me but love his bold statement. :D