Apple CEO Tim Cook Publicly Comes Out as Gay in Letter Declaring Support for Equality

It'll be Asia, some Americans or the religious who make a big deal out of this.

Everyone else? Who cares.

If you stop supporting Apple/buying their products because of this, jokes on you. How is this discussed like an adult? You shrug your shoulders and say who cares, like the rest of civilized human beings in 2014.

Next up, Iran banning Apple products punishable by death due to gay CEO (I'm aware there is an embargo on Iran with US products, but that doesn't stop them from getting there)... China banning Apple products because of bad "family life influences"... and so on and so on

It'll be Asia, some Americans or the religious who make a big deal out of this.

Everyone else? Who cares.

If you stop supporting Apple/buying their products because of this, jokes on you. How is this discussed like an adult? You shrug your shoulders and say who cares, like the rest of civilized human beings in 2014.

yeah, I don't get why people make a company image out to be the lifestyle of the CEO... the CEO isn't the company, they are just a face for the company and the chief.. doesn't mean that what they do in their own life's has any real direct impact on how the company works or how the company feels... heck the CEO still has to answer to the board of directors, who represent the real owners of the company

Good.  Hopefully it will encourage others to not be afraid to come out and be themselves.  I have a few gay family members who were afraid to come out because they didnt want to be treated differently.  Hopefully seeing a gay person is a high/important position will encourage others to not be afraid of who they are.

• Like 2

Good.  Hopefully it will encourage others to not be afraid to come out and be themselves.  I have a few gay family members who were afraid to come out because they didnt want to be treated differently.  Hopefully seeing a gay person is a high/important position will encourage others to not be afraid of who they are.

Yeah, I don't get why being gay makes you somehow inferior to high power positions.... people's idiocy is the only thing that makes that perception

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we lived in a world where "coming out" wasn't actually a thing? Where no-one actually had to know anything about your sexuality because you know, it's none of anyone's business.

Yeah, I don't get why being gay makes you somehow inferior to high power positions.... people's idiocy is the only thing that makes that perception

A lot of people treat gays differently and judge them.  Just like with any other prejudice out there, it can effect a big part of your life.

So there's always been some truth to the assessments that "Apple is homosexual" .

could be truth. i know lots of gays using apple products, seems to suit their style and livestyle perfectly fine. honestly, if i had the money, i would probably do so too...

Please give one good (and valid) reason why should anyone "come out" to the public? Why should anyone actually care?

could be truth. i know lots of gays using apple products, seems to suit their style and livestyle perfectly fine. honestly, if i had the money, i would probably do so too...

never got how industrial design somehow got tied to being gay... even in modern design of house, straight lines, bright whites, neutrals, and stainless steel somehow became the epitome of being gay... and that seems to of transferred over to apple's design guidelines since its bright, shiny or metallic it's somehow gay

Please give one good (and valid) reason why should anyone "come out" to the public? Why should anyone actually care?

A lot of gay people live in fear about being verbally or physically assaulted for being gay.  Also, a lot of gay people think there is something mentally wrong with them.  If a normal person came out and said they were gay, no big deal.  But the CEO of a major company...may mean a lot to a lot.  Important people in the media have a much better chance of making an impact than the average person.

No one should care about someone being black or Hispanic, but lots do and treat people differently about it.  So do Hispanics need to quiet down, do black people who have been very successful stop talking about equality in the work place as well?

Being gay is a big issue.  Whether it be out of fear, ignorance, or just people not being accepting of others, it is a problem. Just like racism is a problem.  Only difference here is that people are treated differently because of their sexual orientation, not the color of their skin.

A lot of gay people live in fear about being verbally or physically assaulted for being gay.  Also, a lot of gay people think there is something mentally wrong with them.  If a normal person came out and said they were gay, no big deal.  But the CEO of a major company...may mean a lot to a lot.  Important people in the media have a much better chance of making an impact than the average person.

No one should care about someone being black or Hispanic, but lots do and treat people differently about it.  So do Hispanics need to quiet down, do black people who have been very successful stop talking about equality in the work place as well?

Being gay is a big issue.  Whether it be out of fear, ignorance, or just people not being accepting of others, it is a problem. Just like racism is a problem.  Only difference here is that people are treated differently because of their sexual orientation, not the color of their skin.

Actually, Hispanics etc minorites are way more quiet in media than gays. You dont see articles as "This Hispanic made it in the big game" do you? So why should we know that about gays?

Most of the hardcore anti-gay people are usually hardcore bible nuts. You wont change their views any way you try. Other parts are either poisitive or neutral. Imho you dont need to prove anything to them.

Actually, Hispanics etc minorites are way more quiet in media than gays.

Depends on where you live . I lived in AZ for 15 years...hispanics are in the media all the time. And doesnt really matter if they are in the media or not...it is a problem, period.

You dont see articles as "This Hispanic made it in the big game" do you? So why should we know that about gays?

What are you talking about? Seriously, if you dont understand why this is an issue and needs to be addressed, then that is fine. I think I explained it clear enough. But stop throwing out silly comments.

Depends on where you live . I lived in AZ for 15 years...hispanics are in the media all the time. And doesnt really matter if they are in the media or not...it is a problem, period.

What are you talking about? Seriously, if you dont understand why this is an issue and needs to be addressed, then that is fine. I think I explained it clear enough. But stop throwing out silly comments.

You didnt explain jack squat. You are just defending one side and nothing taking the other into account. Both are minorities (gays and racial minorities) so Im waiting for an article like this one about racial minorites.

Until then you can keep your bias to yourself.

Do you, for example. see any articles out there ala. "Im straight and proud" - Bill Gates

The more you keep shoving this down peoples troath the more youll see a change but not in a positive way. Eventually people will get sick and tired of hearing this all the time.

You didnt explain jack squat. You are just defending one side and nothing taking the other into account. Both are minorities (gays and racial minorities) so Im waiting for an article like this one about racial minorites.

Until then you can keep your bias to yourself.

If you cannot see why this is an issue and why it needs to be addressed, then that is your problem.  Which is what my original post to this thread was commenting about.  I am done explaining my self since you obviously just dont get it.  So take it easy  :)

If you cannot see why this is an issue and why it needs to be addressed, then that is your problem.  Which is what my original post to this thread was commenting about.  I am done explaining my self since you obviously just dont get it.  So take it easy  :)

I never said its not an issue.

I said it cant be solved like its trying to be done right now.

Also, parenting comes from home not from propaganda. If parents raise you to be tolerant you will be, if they dont the chances are you never will be.

As I was saying before,  Apple had a rainbow logo until recently and was used by most creative artsy types, where gays are more welcomed and approved on...

A lot of designers I knew were gay and they all used Apple, because Apple was the thing to use at the time.     

I am pretty sure Apple was always associated with gay friendliness.  Until they change the logo to metallic one.

Anyway,  good for him.   I personally could not care less if someone is gay.   If they are not hiding it, and at the same time, not shoving it down your throat in public or in private.

In short.  If gay people act like it is normal to be gay, then so be it.  As far as I am concerned.

Unfortunately not everyone thinks like me.    So we got both sides:    The rampant pride, and the haters.   Both of which is bad.

Place I eat at,  my hairstylist, a designer I know, some people I see in the elevator in my building every day, and bunch of other people i talk to and hang out with, are all very cool and gay too. 

Whatever.  Judge a person by how they act, not who they sleep with.

It's great that the world's attitudes have changed and there's no longer stigma against different sexualities, genders, and races. The younger generations in particular don't have these kinds of hangups. It's a brave new world folks, and I for one heartily endorse it.

The world is far from this. Yes it is out there, but its along way way away! Dont know if it will be really this this.