Driveclub Apology from Shuhei Yoshida

Hi everyone,

I wanted to provide you with the latest update on DRIVECLUB. Unfortunately, the road to launch has been a little rocky, and we are truly sorry that so many of you have not been able to enjoy everything that we had hoped DRIVECLUB would deliver.

We have been listening to your feedback and realize that patience understandably is running out. Evo is working around the clock to close the gap, and we have deployed additional engineering resources to help resolve the remaining issues as soon as possible. Unfortunately, the time frames required to roll out the fully connected experience will be longer than anticipated and we do not have an exact time frame for when they will be resolved. We will continue to update you on progress and you can find the latest info on the DRIVECLUB Facebook page.

We are also very conscious that we have disappointed so many of you who were looking forward to playing the promised PS Plus Edition. Our first priority is to provide you with the best possible experience while playing DRIVECLUB. With the high volume of new players and additional server load the PS Plus Edition is anticipated to bring, we are currently not confident that we can guarantee the best online experience. Until we can ensure that everyone can enjoy the full social connected online experience, we will be postponing the release of the PS Plus Edition until further notice.

On behalf of WWS we are enormously grateful for your patience and we thank you for the continued support and encouragement. Again, we sincerely apologize for the delay. We are committed to giving you the best racing experience on PS4 ? it?s taking a little longer than we hoped.

Thanks, 
Shu?

Source: https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/718571408227222

A new patch 1.05 did hit today, not tried it out yet.

Sony should just make the full version of DC free to play for everyone, and go from there.

Just reimburse all those who purchased the game, and let them just keep the game as a token of appreciation.

I understand that games can release with some hiccups, but one of the main angles of DC was to be connected and be a club...

For those who purchased DC, I have a question: Is it too late for this title?  Has that window of opportunity closed on DC, or can Sony salvage something from this title?

Sony should just make the full version of DC free to play for everyone, and go from there.

Just reimburse all those who purchased the game, and let them just keep the game as a token of appreciation.

I understand that games can release with some hiccups, but one of the main angles of DC was to be connected and be a club...

For those who purchased DC, I have a question: Is it too late for this title?  Has that window of opportunity closed on DC, or can Sony salvage something from this title?

It's still a really good driving game and the weather/replay update hasn't even hit yet. 

It's still a really good driving game and the weather/replay update hasn't even hit yet. 

I would guess that the fact that things like weather/replay being delayed until after release probably didn't help matters.

I still plan to try it out when a ps+ version finally arrives because it does look like a nice driving game.  I think the developers learned why you shouldn't create expectations or make promises unless your certain you can deliver. 

IMHO, the issues are truly being blown out of proportion, then again historically speaking I am not really concerned with MP.

The game has also solidly worked for me. It was only the first 8 days I had issues, and I was very much enjoying the SP, so truly and sincerely the fact it was having issues had zero impact on if I was enjoying the game or not. I was LOVING it. 

I am playing both it and Forza Horizon 2, and they are both great games. And depending on what mood the player is in, one is better than the other and vice versa.

If it is too late for this title, that would be a true shame. Because even if it could never connect online again, which as I stated perhaps I am very fortunate but I have been able to do so everytime I played the last 10 days, but even if I could never get online with the game, there is still a damn good game to be played.

I agree that the game is a good game. Not a $60 game but maybe a $39.99 game. I got it for $49.99 though with my PSN+ discount. Online is still wonky with cars glitching in and out and challenges are still hosed. Don't buy the game until it's fixed completely and a price drop happens.

It's probably the best arcade racer I have played on Playstation.

IMHO, the issues are truly being blown out of proportion, then again historically speaking I am not really concerned with MP.

The game has also solidly worked for me. It was only the first 8 days I had issues, and I was very much enjoying the SP, so truly and sincerely the fact it was having issues had zero impact on if I was enjoying the game or not. I was LOVING it. 

I am playing both it and Forza Horizon 2, and they are both great games. And depending on what mood the player is in, one is better than the other and vice versa.

If it is too late for this title, that would be a true shame. Because even if it could never connect online again, which as I stated perhaps I am very fortunate but I have been able to do so everytime I played the last 10 days, but even if I could never get online with the game, there is still a damn good game to be played.

I can't remember where I read it, but one of the devs provided more details on the delay. Apparently it's not down to the servers but a coding issue which is taking much longer than expected to fix.

Pretty sure it was posted on Reddit. Will post it here if I find it again.

Edit:

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/46666-driveclub-une-erreur-dans-la-programmation-du-jeu

"in the coding of the game driveclub , a mistake has been made preventing enough people to play at the same time.... This is being re-programmed but it takes a lot more time than simply add 1000,2000,3000 servers.... we need more than a simple patch, the problem resides in the code and the way the network accepts sessions.... I have no idea when it will be solved".

http://redd.it/2krxcj

Pretty sure it was posted on Reddit. Will post it here if I find it again.

Edit:

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/46666-driveclub-une-erreur-dans-la-programmation-du-jeu

"in the coding of the game driveclub , a mistake has been made preventing enough people to play at the same time.... This is being re-programmed but it takes a lot more time than simply add 1000,2000,3000 servers.... we need more than a simple patch, the problem resides in the code and the way the network accepts sessions.... I have no idea when it will be solved".

http://redd.it/2krxcj

:|  :pinch:  :s

Wow. Just wow. If that is what actually happened, just Wow. 

That is as incompetent as they could get.

A game that heavily features online integration and there is a mistake in the code limiting that integration.

Seriously?

I but what they tried already and realized it would not cut it was having multiple instances of the server environment so once one instance reached its capacity the game looked for a new one. However that would mean if someone on your friends list was not on that server you are on you could not play together, which would be a disaster as well. We all probably experience that at around Day 9 when it worked for a few hours then did not. They were no doubt scrambling trying to get something into place.

Wow. I truly am finding this unbelievable. I really am.

If it is true it sounds like a few people should be out of a job. It is that huge of a F up.