Windows 7: Officially Dead This Week

With no funeral, retrospectives, accolades, or notes of sadness, the Windows 7 era has come to an end.

As noted by Network World, Microsoft will stop selling Windows 7 licenses to PC makers this Friday. So no more new PCs with Windows 7, with the exception of existing inventory. Windows 7 Professional will remain on sale as a standalone product for a very limited time.

What does this mean for the vast number of Windows users? Apparently, not much. New machines are equipped with Windows 8 and Windows 10 is just around the corner. We can now see Windows 7 for what it was: a placeholder designed to assuage the hordes of critics who did not like Vista.

In my office, I have three machines. A Vista machine (which I'm writing on), a Windows 7 machine mostly used for podcasting, and a Windows 8.1 machine being primed to replace the reliable Vista machine. There is also a Windows 8.1 laptop. Of all the machines, the Windows 7 machine, insofar as the OS is concerned, is the least impressive.

[more at source]

Goodbye, Windows 7, and good riddance.

source

Edited by zhangm

It was this sort of arrogance that previously brought down Vista. Let's change things for no good reason. The end result was a fix called Windows 7, a worse program. Time to start the process over again.

lolwut? Windows 7 is a "worse program"?? this alone just discredits the whole article, because it's so biased that it's disgusting.

also this is not the end of Windows 7; OEM can still sell Window 7 Professional until 2015/02, at least.

lolwut? Windows 7 is a "worse program"?? this alone just discredits the whole article, because it's so biased that it's disgusting.

also this is not the end of Windows 7; OEM can still sell Window 7 Professional until 2015/02, at least.

Exactly what I thought about that worse problem line also. Quit reading a few lines after that!

Windows 7 will be around for as long, if not longer, than XP was even!

Windows 10 is nothing more than an OS to "save" MS again after the Windows 8/8.1 flop.

• Like 3

^^ Seriously... who writes this crap?

And I believe Windows 7 licenses will still be available on the refurbishment programs so purchasing computers with 7 should still be theoretically possible.

• Like 1

I'm not a Microsoft Fanboy or care much about Windows, It's just an OS that happens to be the best option available to meet my needs and agree with Praetor about that statement in the article. Windows 7 has been nothing short of fast, stable for me providing options to meet my needs productivity wise. I was fine with XP, I was fine with Vista, I was fine with W7 but my disdain actually is directed towards Windows 8 that I tried using and finding a reason to love but couldn't. I have my own Windows 7 Ultimate x64 OEM license so I'm hoping they don't pull the plug on updates for a while. By the time I have enough cash to upgrade my hardware I'll probably upgrade my OS, whether I'll install Windows 8 or Windows 10 (when released) is yet to be decided. 

All this is is a user who is uneducated that is writing an article proving to the rest of the educated world that end users think they know enough to become an expert. He clearly shows in the article that he knows nothing about networking, yet continues to bash something that he has very limited knowledge about.

I'm not a Microsoft Fanboy or care much about Windows, It's just an OS that happens to be the best option available to meet my needs and agree with Praetor about that statement in the article. Windows 7 has been nothing short of fast, stable for me providing options to meet my needs productivity wise. I was fine with XP, I was fine with Vista, I was fine with W7 but my disdain actually is directed towards Windows 8 that I tried using and finding a reason to love but couldn't. I have my own Windows 7 Ultimate x64 OEM license so I'm hoping they don't pull the plug on updates for a while. By the time I have enough cash to upgrade my hardware I'll probably upgrade my OS, whether I'll install Windows 8 or Windows 10 (when released) is yet to be decided. 

Don't get sucked in by this alarmist click baiting, the guy that wrote this article obviously hasn't got a clue what he's talking about, they aren't dropping support :) just not selling it any more.

• Like 1

Windows 10 is nothing more than an OS to "save" MS again after the Windows 8/8.1 flop.

lolwut

So, hem, the logic in this? Two or three anecdotes, from his own limited experience, that he doesn't demonstrate are caused by flaws in Windows 7, allow him to infer that Windows 7 was generally inferior to Vista, a "placeholder", and that it could not do "too numerous" things.

Yeah. Not much to see here. It's called non sequitur.

• Like 3

I feel like the last 5-6 years of my life have been a lie. When pretty much every other person on the planet came to the conclusion that Windows 7 was the superior OS we were all deceived. 

How foolish we were.

Honestly though the article almost feels like it's meant to be a joke.

• Like 2

Honestly though the article almost feels like it's meant to be a joke.

It clearly is a joke, if the author meant it or not!

seriously,  vista might have gotten better with updates... but in no world you can claim it to be a better OS at this moment in time.

What a horrible title too.  :rofl:         pcmag....    seriously :rolleyes:

Windows 7 will refuse point blank to die, I know too many people who would rather switch to Linux and set the language to ancient Chinese in order to avoid installing Windows 8 or 8.1

Windows 7 will refuse point blank to die, I know too many people who would rather switch to Linux and set the language to ancient Chinese in order to avoid installing Windows 8 or 8.1

:laugh:  :rofl:

• Like 2

Exactly what I thought about that worse problem line also. Quit reading a few lines after that!

QFT

Windows 7 market share will flat line or begin to decline next year when it goes on extended support. To think "it'll be around longer than XP" is silly.

Windows 7 market share will flat line or begin to decline next year when it goes on extended support. To think "it'll be around longer than XP" is silly.

actually, don't be so sure.      the corporations have upgraded to windows 7 and they are not likely to upgrade very often, to save cost.

i bet you anything they will likely skip 8 and 10.    so i am certain windows 7 will stick around for AGES.    for the same reasons XP is still here.

actually, don't be so sure.      the corporations have upgraded to windows 7 and they are not likely to upgrade very often, to save cost.

i bet you anything they will likely skip 8 and 10.    so i am certain windows 7 will stick around for AGES.    for the same reasons XP is still here.

Yeah, I just left a corporation that only updated to Windows 7 and IE9 (lol) this year.

But I'm also of the opinion that Windows 7 won't be around as long as Windows XP, especially if the rumour of a free upgrade to Windows 10 holds true (which actually makes a lot of sense).

haha awesome.

actually, don't be so sure. the corporations have upgraded to windows 7 and they are not likely to upgrade very often, to save cost.

i bet you anything they will likely skip 8 and 10. so i am certain windows 7 will stick around for AGES. for the same reasons XP is still here.

Microsoft also gave XP reprise after reprise. Something they are not doing with Windows 7.

I can also guess that Windows 10 won't be a free upgrade. There is no "free" in tech. Microsoft still has to have a way of making money.

• Like 2

Bwahahahahahahahaha.....

Bwahahahahahahahaha.....

Very insightful reply, I can clearly see that my comment was in error. /s

:rolleyes:

Windows XP got security updates for 12 and a half years, Windows 7 will get security updates for 10 and a half years... that's still a long time.

With over 5 years of support left I cant see enterprises rushing to leave Windows 7. The average computer user will likely run Windows 7 until their computer fails and a new one is purchased with a newer version of Windows on.

With that in mind I cant really see Windows 7 going anywhere for a long time yet personally.