Win Os concept mockup

Not a fan of tiles on the desktop (or widgets or stuff like RainMeter/Conky/etc).. need to minimize everything to actually see it, having them in the start menu is a lot more streamlined and is less jarring by far. That said, I do like the sidebar integration in Explorer though with social info and such. Explorer can already somewhat pull data off the web (federated search, etc).. that would be a nice way to tie that together. Would sorely love to see Microsoft revamp the icon overlay system too, some serious limitations that have been carried over for far too long, especially the number that you can actually use at one time.. feels like it hasn't changed since 2K.

yes I understand what you say about tiles in desktop, I don't know if it is really useful, maybe some people can use more the bottom-left corner or win+D

but you of course (and possible me) can choose don't use it. I did it because something I feel that windows missing is the customization, every user have differents ways to access to file and information and would be great if the OS  have these options, always if these options are not caotic.

this is a concept about selection, my idea is when you select something you have a helper with quick options about this selection

post-482082-0-89228800-1414796780.jpg

I think this can be cool  like option to context menu, having the most common task with selection.

also the top menu also change when you select files

I agree with +FiB3R. Looks too cartoonish, as if it was meant for younger users. You also have a mix of Metro and glossy concepts, which don't go together. Also too many rounded corners, especially on the window borders which looks bad, especially when the windows are snapped, as you can see right through the holes causing a bit of a distraction.  

OK! checked, maybe to much round corner

what about this

post-482082-0-95373400-1414799579.jpg

about the other childish things, you need to think in customization if you choice another user icon and different main color the look is other

post-482082-0-51990500-1414800371.jpg

is all about customization

what you think?

no hehe if you check the taskbar is thinked to have a lot of control of opened apps, and all the programs can be used in windows mode, I also can check the fullscreen button in the side of maximiza, this is for apps with inmersive full screen mode

haha well, besides the icons are one or two ideas I think can works well, like the pinned icons in the taskbar with information or a new kind of  combined taskbar buttons, and other things but maybe all this is for a different kind of public

When I first looked it, my first impression is that it kind of looks like a toy. Not all that helpful, but one can't help what their initial impression is.

Digging deeper, having Explorer be a sort of central repository for News, Mail and Calendar is an interesting idea, but an idea that's always proven never to be a good one. Those things need to be dedicated apps, much like how a file manager shouldn't really be for anything other than being a file manager. Whilst you could add some kind of overview page for those items within Explorer (similar to how as RSS feed works, I guess), the vast majority of users don't spend enough time in Explorer for that to actually be useful. 

The context popup is good, as long as it is implemented in such a way to never covers content you might want to be looking at. It saves a right-click, or for users to prefer to interact with the Ribbon instead of a context menu, it keeps your eyes near the content you're working with, and not at the top of the window looking for the button you want.

I don't like the thick border on the window, and whatever that shadow/reflection underneath the breadcrumb bar and search bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft should just hire this guy, This really fixes windows:

http://jaymachalani.com/blog/2013/12/12/fixing-windows-8

One guy's ideas do not solve ALL of Windows 8's and Microsoft's problems. They must think about the future and advocate Windows 8. That guy you mention left out the issue where classic desktop apps are not optimized for Modern, and Microsoft wants to keep the Modern UI secure and locked down. Also in the long run where does the desktop go? Will it always be a OS duality paradox, and how does phone work. Since you use Apple, you may not actually really understand what Micrososft is trying to achieve. I for one do not like people saying "this concepts solves everything, duh".

SuperKid, thanks for the link! is cool.

For me the aplications are windoded but if you need use it in fullscreen they can change to a metro mode. here is a old concept I made in my old post https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1137440-new-desktop-mockup/

post-482082-0-98658000-1416110821.gif

right now windows are working in continuum

and this is cool I hope this worked in applications like skype and others