PS4 firmware update hit with widespread bug

PlayStation 4 users may not want to update their consoles to firmware version 2.00 just yet -- at least not until Sony is able to send out a patch that fixes some of the software's hiccups.

Version 2.00, codenamed "Masamune," boasted a number of notable feature updates including uploading gameplay videos to YouTube, sharing games with friends over the Internet and system themes.

However, the update has been tainted by widespread reports that putting the system into standby mode (now dubbed "Rest Mode") prevents the console from reawakening. Both of the consoles in our office encountered the same issue. Bugs with YouTube functionality have also been reported.

For now, Sony has suggested booting consoles into "Safe Mode" to update a system's software and told CNET "we're investigating these issues and will provide an update once we have more information."

Whatever you do, try and avoid unplugging a hanging PS4, as you can damage the system's data.

We expect a version "2.0.1" release at any moment, but also recommend PS4 users who have already updated to 2.00 to select the "turn PS4 off" option instead of Rest Mode until Sony has properly addressed the situation.

http://www.cnet.com/news/playstation-4-2-00-update-hit-with-widespread-bugs-rest-mode-issue/

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't had a chance to fire up the PS4. I was going to update it tonight, but it looks like I shall hold off now!

One of my friends was telling me that the game sharing part of this worked well the first day there is now widespread reports of the receiver of the game getting errors saying its the wrong region etc, even if the two people are in the same town!!

how did they manage to break sleep mode? 0_o even more so why did they change the name to Rest Mode? it just sounds odd

Man, before I left on a trip, I was able to apply the update without issue, but didn't have time to actually explore the features other then some of the cosmetic UI changes.  I hope I don't come home to a bricked console. 

At least there is a method to work around it, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I upgraded and keep dealing with the standby issue. They definitely changed something when they changed the name and I wish they didn't. Standby mode worked great before they ######ed it up and called it rest mode