Iwata explains why New 3DS isn't coming west anytime soon

For those in the US and Europe hoping for a retail launch of Nintendo's New 3DS in the near future, the prospects don't look good. During Nintendo's recent semi-annual financials briefing, president Satoru Iwata explained why Japan is the only country to get the revamped hardware.

The primary reason that the New 3DS launched first in Japan is because the adoption rate of the original model has been so high in the three and a half years since launch that sales just recently started to decline. With units moved at over 17 million, Iwata implied that a hardware refresh was necessary to kickstart sales again.

Conversely, while the 3DS is doing well in western countries, Iwata said that it's "at an earlier stage of popularization in these two markets." This is despite the fact that Nintendo believes the US and Europe both have "bigger sales potential" than Japan. Nintendo doesn't think it'd make sense to release hardware meant to spur sales when sales are still growing.

Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing [Nintendo]

http://www.destructoid.com/iwata-explains-why-new-3ds-isn-t-coming-west-anytime-soon-283281.phtml

I have been looking at buying a 3DS XL for some time and since the new 3DS has been announced there is not a hope in hell I will buy the current models. It is like they aren't even hiding the fact they want to milk the current models for all its worth, Announcing a new model then saying it isn't coming for a while then wondering why sales are lagging is just retarded.

This will make, what, 5 3DS models? The original, the XL (the one I have), the 2DS (Nintendo conceding no one cares about 3D?) then the New Nintendo 3DS and The New Nintendo 3DS XL . . .

Also, it will launch in Aus about 5 weeks after it's Japanese debut. Not that I am complaining, but why Aus? Surely the U.S. and Europe are larger markets?

Maybe sales of that consoles have slowed here so much that there is no risk of launching the newer model?

I personally hope it doesn't come out here, it will just fragment the 3DS market for the sake of a slight upgrade in hardware.

I'd wait a couple of years after the launch of the latest model to see if it takes advantage of any of the hardware upgrades (add ons?)