Are the $100 dollars fuel injection services worth it?

I understand everyone is different. I'm just using the $100 dollars as an example that happened to me recently. 

I went to a national auto repair chain by my house. After the oil change (I had them put in full synthetic) the manager came over and talked to me about getting fuel injection cleaning done based on how many miles I have already  got on my vehicle. I declined the service.

Are these worth it or is it a scam? I prefer heading to an auto parts store and buying a fuel system cleaner for $10 dollars.

To some people $100 dollars is nothing. But to me it's a lot of money. 

My vehicle by the way currently has 126,000 miles on it. It runs fine too.

What do you think?

Never once did my MB had it done over 400.000km (bought it used and the last owner didn't even know what I was talking about). It's not a scam as far as I know but it's not something You really must to. Even more for 100 bucks.

not usually worth it depends on what there gonna do ask what there gonna do and dont let them mumle jumble you with jargon to make it seem fancy 

half of them are spray some stuff down your intake and/or dump some stuff into the gas not worth 100$ just trying to get an upsell

What can it hurt ? 
I heard many people are driving around with half-assed sparking spark plugs, and getting those replaced makes a big difference... I dont know though.

I hope you get a good, direct answer as many people voice their opinion as fact, and most opinions are based off of someone else's opinion.

I only use Royal Purple in both of my cars, and can tell you that there are a ton of people who think that is stupid...

Let me explain a little bit the difference between the 100 dollar one and the 10 dollar one. 

First off lets go with the 10 dollar one.  This one gets added and diluted in your fuel.  It is good if you keep up on it about once a month or once ever other fill up, depending on the 10 dollar version you are buying.  I personally like the Cheveron Techron brand.  But you should really ask yourself, what really is the difference between the fuel system cleaner and the fuel injection cleaner (they offer both).  Both go through your fuel system, essentially passing through the same components. 

Lets go to the 100 dollar one.  They either disable your fuel pump or disconnect your fuel lines and a machine with high concentrated cleaner blows through your injectors. 

The two are comparing a watered down drink to moonshine.  With enough of the watered down drink, you will eventually get drunk (you might be full before that happens though).  With moonshine at just about 200 proof, well you can imagine how fast you will get drunk.  One is very low concentration, one is very high concentration. 

I had an injector clogged, tried the intank stuff and failed miserably...then went to the high concentrated shut fuel system off stuff and it cleared it within minutes.  Working in parts I had access to a lot of stuff normal people dont have access to or rarely get a chance to see.

Let me explain a little bit the difference between the 100 dollar one and the 10 dollar one. 

First off lets go with the 10 dollar one.  This one gets added and diluted in your fuel.  It is good if you keep up on it about once a month or once ever other fill up, depending on the 10 dollar version you are buying.  I personally like the Cheveron Techron brand.  But you should really ask yourself, what really is the difference between the fuel system cleaner and the fuel injection cleaner (they offer both).  Both go through your fuel system, essentially passing through the same components. 

Lets go to the 100 dollar one.  They either disable your fuel pump or disconnect your fuel lines and a machine with high concentrated cleaner blows through your injectors. 

The two are comparing a watered down drink to moonshine.  With enough of the watered down drink, you will eventually get drunk (you might be full before that happens though).  With moonshine at just about 200 proof, well you can imagine how fast you will get drunk.  One is very low concentration, one is very high concentration. 

I had an injector clogged, tried the intank stuff and failed miserably...then went to the high concentrated shut fuel system off stuff and it cleared it within minutes.  Working in parts I had access to a lot of stuff normal people dont have access to or rarely get a chance to see.

But to what extent are they needed as regular maintenance ? on cars 1 year old? 5 ? 10? etc.

You should be treating with the intank almost immediately after you get the car to keep the carbon down. 

As far as the high concentrated one goes, it can be done at 50k but recommended at 100K.

Carbon builds up very very quickly...when you buy a new car the exhaust pipe is clean...in just a few hundred miles the inside turns black.  It doesn't take long for this to start building up in your engine.  To avoid excessive build up, drive your car often, don't let it sit for long periods of time, don't do a lot of city driving, or every 2 to 4 fill ups use a fuel system/injector cleaner. 

You should be treating with the intank almost immediately after you get the car to keep the carbon down. 

As far as the high concentrated one goes, it can be done at 50k but recommended at 100K.

Carbon builds up very very quickly...when you buy a new car the exhaust pipe is clean...in just a few hundred miles the inside turns black.  It doesn't take long for this to start building up in your engine.  To avoid excessive build up, drive your car often, don't let it sit for long periods of time, don't do a lot of city driving, or every 2 to 4 fill ups use a fuel system/injector cleaner. 

I've heard/read stories that unnecesary tank treatment Fs up the car, how true is that?

Just for reference, this is a kit that some smaller garages use.  The fittings are a few hundred dollars, the can of juice is about $20

Here is one of the more popular ones used by dealers and bigger shops.  This one is about $4000.

I've heard/read stories that unnecesary tank treatment Fs up the car, how true is that?

Again it depends on the treatment.  Some are garbage, some are good.  Hard to say.  Follow the label and you will be fine.  If you use the techron it says every 3000 miles.  For me that is about 4-5 fill ups or once a month.  You can do a little more at every other fill ups for a little while without negative effects.   Or if you go a while without doing it, you can do one every other for few cycles without hurting anything. 

Buy some Seafoam, pour it in your gas tank, and then follow the instructions on how to run with it.  It sometimes creates a ton of white smoke, so don't worry if that happens.

Though if your gas mileage isn't dipping lower than normal and the engine sounds fine, I don't think you have to worry about any sort of cleaning.

What can it hurt ? 

I heard many people are driving around with half-assed sparking spark plugs, and getting those replaced makes a big difference... I dont know though.

I hope you get a good, direct answer as many people voice their opinion as fact, and most opinions are based off of someone else's opinion.

I only use Royal Purple in both of my cars, and can tell you that there are a ton of people who think that is stupid...

Not the 95%of people in the racing, off-road, and hi end car industry. :)

My advise, as a former mechanic is first treat via the gas.  Run the gas down to about 1/3 of a tank, then add 2 bottles of Seafoam (works great) or any other cleaner like Lucas.  Drive it until it is at 1/8, then fill up all the way.  If your car is having issues like stuttering or pinging when your accelerate then you need to treat it.  

Watch the oil change places, they are a joke for the most part.  I have seen plenty of damage from their service.  Special with the change the oil every 3000 mile BS.  

I have successfully treated all my cars, (3 BMW 5 series, Mini Cooper, Jeep Cherokee).  I was able to buy two of the BMW at a low price because of the cars running poorly.  I treated them and there is no issues.  I treat them once every 5k-7k via the gas method.  

My advise, as a former mechanic is first treat via the gas.  Run the gas down to about 1/3 of a tank, then add 2 bottles of Seafoam (works great) or any other cleaner like Lucas.  Drive it until it is at 1/8, then fill up all the way.  If your car is having issues like stuttering or pinging when your accelerate then you need to treat it.  

Watch the oil change places, they are a joke for the most part.  I have seen plenty of damage from their service.  Special with the change the oil every 3000 mile BS.

I have successfully treated all my cars, (3 BMW 5 series, Mini Cooper, Jeep Cherokee).  I was able to buy two of the BMW at a low price because of the cars running poorly.  I treated them and there is no issues.  I treat them once every 5k-7k via the gas method.  

care to elaborate?

I wouldn't necessarily jump to using fuel injector/system cleaner as a solution to pinging.  There are many causes to pinging, as a former mechanic you should know this and wouldn't immediately jump to cleaning your injectors as a solution.  Stuttering maybe, not pinging.  Excessive engine heat caused by a bad thermostat/water pump/radiator can cause pinging, a balancer that went bad can cause pinging, even fowled plugs can cause pinging.  Engine ticks can also be caused from faulty manufacturing (as it is with the ford 5.3L, look up cam phaser tick).  I would not suggest fuel injector cleaner until a diagnosis has been made as to probable cause when it comes to pinging. 

I wouldn't necessarily jump to using fuel injector/system cleaner as a solution to pinging.  There are many causes to pinging, as a former mechanic you should know this and wouldn't immediately jump to cleaning your injectors as a solution.  Stuttering maybe, not pinging.  Excessive engine heat caused by a bad thermostat/water pump/radiator can cause pinging, a balancer that went bad can cause pinging, even fowled plugs can cause pinging.  Engine ticks can also be caused from faulty manufacturing (as it is with the ford 5.3L, look up cam phaser tick).  I would not suggest fuel injector cleaner until a diagnosis has been made as to probable cause when it comes to pinging. 

True, let me clarify, stuttering and pinning at the same time.  Not knocking, when under stress (hard acceleration, going up hill, ect).

I honestly don't know, I buy a lot of old cars, simply to run them into the ground, and see how fast I can kill some models, but out of curiosity, I did get a power test done on a 1992 Mitsubishi Galant GTI, and it was still rocking 140some horses, I ragged on that car for 4-5 years before giving up on trying to kill it, got the power results and sold it, the whole time I owned that car, I never used any injector cleaner.

The other end of the scale, I never felt, or saw any improvements in the 8 or 9, Volvo 9 series I've owned and had used redex or paid for an engine decoke