Apple may have quietly fixed the iPhone 6 Plus bending problem

At the peak of the iPhone #bendgate fiasco, we predicted that Apple wouldn't bother to properly respond to the issue (which it didn't) and would simply make some changes in the production of the iPhone 6 Plus to fix the problem. While we can't confirm that Apple has fixed the issue (we're waiting on a teardown confirmation), it sounds like Apple has quietly changed the way it builds the 6 Plus.

The story comes from reddit user doctorkuddles, who has a couple bits of interesting evidence to support the idea. The doctor says he recently purchased himself a 128GB iPhone 6 Plus, and compared it to his wife's 16GB iPhone 6 Plus, which was purchased soon after launch back in September. He notes a few differences between his device and his wife's, including simple tapping on the case to note the difference in sound, and even pulling out a stethoscope (he is a real doctor apparently) to listen to the devices and found his model sounded "much more dull toned" and "solid" compared to his wife's, which "had a lot more percussion sound, indicating that area was previously hollow".

Sauce and complete story:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-may-have-quietly-fixed-the-iPhone-6-Plus-bending-problem_id62359

Yeah, theres a video on youtube where 300+ have shared their bent phone... If they don't do anything and if differences are found by someone between early production models and newer ones (with the differences made to prevent bending) I guess a lawsuit could follow IF they don't officially recognize and do something about it.

I'm gonna go with that article being satire... There won't be a lawsuit. There is no "Bendgate", just irresponsible people who don't know how to take care of their phone. It's not the first phone to bend, it wont be the last.. it's just the loudest because of the big apple logo on the back.

Impossible.  According to Apple, only 9 have complained......

I'm gonna go with that article being satire... There won't be a lawsuit. There is no "Bendgate", just irresponsible people who don't know how to take care of their phone. It's not the first phone to bend, it wont be the last.. it's just the loudest because of the big apple logo on the back.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/A-video-collage-shows-300-iPhones-affected-by-bendgate_id62421

I agree that this is getting that much noise, because it's apple, but the video above, proves there is an issue ( to me at least)... I've sat on my phones (accidentally) hundreds of times and guess what? They didn't bend (Iphones 3GS, 4, Galaxy s4 and lg g3). So imagine you sit down on your phone by accident (as they do happen) and voila, your phone is bent? Now what?

If this is true Apple should offer anyone who bought the first version of the phone an opportunity to swap for a new phone.  I wouldn't be happy with a phone that might bend because of a design flaw.

• Like 2

http://www.phonearena.com/news/A-video-collage-shows-300-iPhones-affected-by-bendgate_id62421

I agree that this is getting that much noise, because it's apple, but the video above, proves there is an issue ( to me at least)... I've sat on my phones (accidentally) hundreds of times and guess what? They didn't bend (Iphones 3GS, 4, Galaxy s4 and lg g3). So imagine you sit down on your phone by accident (as they do happen) and voila, your phone is bent? Now what?

Not to be "that guy" but there is no proof that those 300 bent iPhones were from basic uses.  They all could have bent their phone like that guy from Unbox Therapy -- putting all of his strength in it.  Or somebody was running around and their phone got slammed into a wall.

This is the internet, even with pictures you shouldn't believe anything.  I can go into photoshop and edit a picture of mine demonstrating that I have super powers.  Would you believe me then?  There is a picture.

Not to be "that guy" but there is no proof that those 300 bent iPhones were from basic uses.  They all could have bent their phone like that guy from Unbox Therapy -- putting all of his strength in it.  Or somebody was running around and their phone got slammed into a wall.

This is the internet, even with pictures you shouldn't believe anything.  I can go into photoshop and edit a picture of mine demonstrating that I have super powers.  Would you believe me then?  There is a picture.

I agree, people to through a lot of trouble sometimes, but I don't really think 300+ peoples bent there phones purposefully, there probably was. Also, tthere have been standardized test that proves the phone bends...

Amen!

I agree, people to through a lot of trouble sometimes, but I don't really think 300+ peoples bent there phones purposefully, there probably was. Also, tthere have been standardized test that proves the phone bends...

I know, I have seen the test.  All phones bend.  My point was, I do not believe these phones are just bending because of a pocket.

I know, I have seen the test.  All phones bend.  My point was, I do not believe these phones are just bending because of a pocket.

So we both agree with each other? lol peacefull trolling?

You said this:

because it's apple, but the video above, proves there is an issue ( to me at least)...

I do not agree.  The video proves nothing.  As I said, I do not believe these are just bending because of a pocket.  People these days like to blame everybody else but themselves.  If they accidentally ran into a wall which caused their phones to bend, that would make sense.  But most people would just claim they are bending in their pocket.

I don't believe there is an issue, until some actual evidence is provided.  Simple images or videos holding a bent phone is not really evidence.  I can make a nice furry outfit and pay somebody to wear it while I make a video of it.  Does that make Bigfoot real?  Why not?  There is a video of it, there is "evidence"

I know a lot of people that would say "It is apples fault" instead of saying the embarrassing thing that they ran into a wall, or table. or something.

You said this:

I do not agree.  The video proves nothing.  As I said, I do not believe these are just bending because of a pocket.  People these days like to blame everybody else but themselves.  If they accidentally ran into a wall which caused their phones to bend, that would make sense.  But most people would just claim they are bending in their pocket.

I don't believe there is an issue, until some actual evidence is provided.  Simple images or videos holding a bent phone is not really evidence.  I can make a nice furry outfit and pay somebody to wear it while I make a video of it.  Does that make Bigfoot real?  Why not?  There is a video of it, there is "evidence"

I know a lot of people that would say "It is apples fault" instead of saying the embarrassing thing that they ran into a wall, or table. or something.

Yeah the video just shows 300 bent phones,  but the fact is that, bent phones! That's what i'm pointing out, whether or not it was in a pocket, we don't know. But again, you have no middle ground... 300 people running into a wall?

One doesn't need to be a doctor to realise that putting a relatively thin device under significant pressure is likely to cause laws of physics to take their toll. While iPhone 6 may be more bend-prone, people need to take care of their expensive toys properly.

Yeah the video just shows 300 bent phones,  but the fact is that, bent phones! That's what i'm pointing out, whether or not it was in a pocket, we don't know. But again, you have no middle ground... 300 people running into a wall?

I am not saying all 300+ are the result of one action.  We know the physics of what is needed to make it bend due to the actual scientific bend test - around 70 pounds of pressure.  So that is why these are bending.  But, like I said, I do not believe these are simply bending for just being in a pocket.  So I do not think there is an issue.  If there was an issue for it being bent JUST FROM A POCKET, we would know about it a lot more than we are now.

So I do not think there is an issue.  If there was an issue for it being bent JUST FROM A POCKET, we would know about it a lot more than we are now.

That does make sense.

Updates to the original story states that doctor's claims have been debunked.

UPDATE: 9to5Mac?s Jordan Kahn has done some digging and has found that there?s no truth to the claim that Apple has altered the 6 Plus to make it less susceptible to bending.

?A footnote on Apple?s specs website for iPhone 6 Plus notes that ?Size and weight vary by configuration and manufacturing process,? and sources tell us a 1.5 gram weight variance between any two iPhone 6 Plus units is within what is expected,? Kahn explains.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/31/iphone-6-plus-silent-update-weight-difference/

I saw someone try to bend a Nokia 3310 once. His bones got warped and he had to wear a brace on his arms for a few months.

• Like 2

any difference in weight? such a change in the production should have an impact on the device's weight.

edit: or the balance of the device should have changed. that could be tested too.