Anyone else find Xbox One's interface a bit unwieldy?

I could see some sort of mini guide returning, but at the same time, even the guide had its limitations, namely leaving a game to do most things beyond basic tasks.

I want to see them just improve the speed of the current dashboard and add customization that would allow us to decide what shows up on the main dash. Instead of the current 4 options, we would mix and match what we want there.

I actually like the snap feature, but I know I'm in the minority there, so I'm sure that will change too based on feedback. I know using snapped apps is already much easier now than when it launched. I really hope they keep the snap feature and just improve it, maybe add more multitasking abilities for those that don't want to snap anything, such as background audio, etc.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Win 10 upgrade is a very substantial jump from the current feature set.

What I'd like to see is something in between. A simplified guide that gives you the basics, see who's online, get details of that latest achievement, check download progress. If you want to see more detailed information, for example, see which of your friends have unlocked an achievement etc it'll take you to the app, which you have the option to snap. 

How they have cut and chopped up features into Snaps and made everything that was great about the Guide an absolute nightmare to navigate on X1.

Where i completely disagree. The guide on the 360 was the most basic of modal boxes that interrupted everything. Snapping things is far better. But i guess it's horses for courses n'all that.

I could see some sort of mini guide returning, but at the same time, even the guide had its limitations, namely leaving a game to do most things beyond basic tasks.

I want to see them just improve the speed of the current dashboard and add customization that would allow us to decide what shows up on the main dash. Instead of the current 4 options, we would mix and match what we want there.

I actually like the snap feature, but I know I'm in the minority there, so I'm sure that will change too based on feedback. I know using snapped apps is already much easier now than when it launched. I really hope they keep the snap feature and just improve it, maybe add more multitasking abilities for those that don't want to snap anything, such as background audio, etc.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Win 10 upgrade is a very substantial jump from the current feature set.

Where i completely disagree. The guide on the 360 was the most basic of modal boxes that interrupted everything. Snapping things is far better. But i guess it's horses for courses n'all that.

Snap is a great feature, but it's a case of them trying to shoehorn every feature into it, and it doesn't work. I don't need to snap messages, friends, achievements etc. I only have to look at them for a few seconds at most.

Snapping websites while you play if you want to use a walkthrough? Fair enough, it's a legit use. Watching a movie and doing anything else at the same time? Nah, don't think so.

One size does not fit all and they need to give back a guide-like interface for the basic features.

Snap is a great feature, but it's a case of them trying to shoehorn every feature into it, and it doesn't work. I don't need to snap messages, friends, achievements etc. I only have to look at them for a few seconds at most.

Snapping websites while you play if you want to use a walkthrough? Fair enough, it's a legit use. Watching a movie and doing anything else at the same time? Nah, don't think so.

One size does not fit all and they need to give back a guide-like interface for the basic features.

We now live in a "ADD/ADHD" world, where one thing at a time is long ago.

Though I don't use every item in snap I do welcome it very much.  

The other day I found myself messaging one of my best friends in snap mode, while watching a football (american football  :D ) game...  Something I didn't know I would welcome, until I started doing it.

The other day I found myself listening to a podcast with IE snapped while playing TitanFall, No one was on mics for the game, so I listened to a podcast. and It didn't bother me about the small part of screen real estate being taken...

I believe the UI will get more refined as time goes on.  Look where the 360 started and now where it ends.  From Blades (which I loved) to tiles (which I love as well), those were some radical changes, and it makes things feel fresh.

But then again, I am also spoiled by Kinect (yes I Love using Kinect)...  I usually just say what I want.

For me personally, these are answers to a problem that I didn't know I had... :woot:

I'm also experimenting with cleaning up the naming convention of some of my movies on my PC, so I can just use a word or 2 to play a movie with voice.... :D

• Like 1

There are many media apps that useful when snapped.

As far as messages, friends, or achievements, that's a personal preference. I've already seen people using snap for achievement tracking while in game a lot (now in combo with the True Achievements app).

So honestly what is needed is a choice. For users that like snapping those things, let them keep it. For users like yourself, let you control what is a visible choice for snapping.

There are many media apps that useful when snapped.

As far as messages, friends, or achievements, that's a personal preference. I've already seen people using snap for achievement tracking while in game a lot (now in combo with the True Achievements app).

So honestly what is needed is a choice. For users that like snapping those things, let them keep it. For users like yourself, let you control what is a visible choice for snapping.

If you have the memory of a goldfish, sure I can see why you need it constantly in your face :p

All I can say is thank god I don't have to share a TV with you guys. I'd boot you out the door if you started snapping stuff during my games, movies or tv time ;) I guess it comes down to what kind of person you are in real life too. I don't like dividing attention between tasks, and I'm certainly not going to have idle chit chat time during something I care about.

I'm not saying Snap doesn't have it's place on the dashboard, of course it does. Shoehorning it into everything where it doesn't work is the issue, especially without alternatives or removing what worked previously.

If you have the memory of a goldfish, sure I can see why you need it constantly in your face :p

All I can say is thank god I don't have to share a TV with you guys. I'd boot you out the door if you started snapping stuff during my games, movies or tv time ;) I guess it comes down to what kind of person you are in real life too. I don't like dividing attention between tasks, and I'm certainly not going to have idle chit chat time during something I care about.

I'm not saying Snap doesn't have it's place on the dashboard, of course it does. Shoehorning it into everything where it doesn't work is the issue, especially without alternatives or removing what worked previously.

:laugh: Wow, personal insults from a mod, people should feel honored. j/k

The most obvious uses for snap are when you need to refer to some kind of info. That may mean you leave something snapped while you do something else, or it may mean you snap just for a moment to check something.

I completely agree that a user should be able to choose the experience and not be forced to use snap for certain experiences. Some sort of basic pop up guide like the 360 could be the best answer.

It used to be, but now it's really easy to use with just the controller.

Just pin the stuff you use regularly and it's pretty straightforward.

Also, the easiest way to get to settings is to press the = button and choose settings.

You mean the ? button?

• Like 1

You don't use the snap friends to invite? It's no different than 360, if not better since ur game isn't blocked. Going into the friends app is the old but still possible way.

Indeed.

How they have cut and chopped up features into Snaps and made everything that was great about the Guide an absolute nightmare to navigate on X1.

It's one of the best things to come to console.

I actually like the snap feature, but I know I'm in the minority there

I believe you are in the majority. Most of us have found that it's so much better than blocking out the game like you do on the 360 and PS UIs.

But for a lot of us, it does work and works wonderfully.