Allocate speed to two different devices?

I got into a little trouble.

I want to allocate my internet speed to two different hardware devices but since I'm behind a switch that can't be done in an interface anywhere.

Is there an OS level option for it? (Windows 7)

Any help is welcome.

What?? Any smart/managed switch would allow you to rate limit their connection.

What are you trying to do exactly, you do understand the devices will automatically share the internet speed.. Is one of the devices using more than its fair share by running p2p or something. This can be adjusted at the client. Do you have control of both of these devices?

What?? Any smart/managed switch would allow you to rate limit their connection.

What are you trying to do exactly, you do understand the devices will automatically share the internet speed.. Is one of the devices using more than its fair share by running p2p or something. This can be adjusted at the client. Do you have control of both of these devices?

Yeah, it's an $10 8-port switch, doubt that has any interface on it.

I do understand but that's exactly what I want to change. Not running P2P.

I want one device to be locked on 100/100 connection and the ohter one (regular day PC) to run wild until it reaches the peak speed of my connection or the threshold of the ohter one not to slow it down any bit. (If that made any sense for you).

Got local acess to one and to the second in a few days, just wanted to do some recon already.

the router can limit speed to the clients or give priority to one client over the other. 

Say your one computer was using 100% of the bandwidth but has a low priority, the computer with higher priority comes on and wants 99% of the bandwidth...the new computer on the network with higher priority trumps the old computer on the network and bumps the old computer down to 1%.

"I want one device to be locked on 100/100 connection"

So this $10 8 port switch is gig?? What is your internet connection? It is over 100/100??

So what is running on the other PC that uses up the bandwidth if your not doing p2p? As mentioned you can set a pc nic to 10 or 100 if your switch is gig. But I doubt a $10 is gig to be honest.

As sc302 mentions many routers support limiting/qos - what is your router on the other side of this switch?

"I want one device to be locked on 100/100 connection"

So this $10 8 port switch is gig?? What is your internet connection? It is over 100/100??

So what is running on the other PC that uses up the bandwidth if your not doing p2p? As mentioned you can set a pc nic to 10 or 100 if your switch is gig. But I doubt a $10 is gig to be honest.

As sc302 mentions many routers support limiting/qos - what is your router on the other side of this switch?

Its actually an gig 8 port. Im on a 300/300 connection and there's no router. Cable runs straight to my room from my ISP box and from there to my switch.

Game downloads and streaming on the ohter PC.

I guess it's better for me to actually get a new switch while I'm at it?

If you don't have access to the router, and you want to do some actual rate limiting or even qos then yeah new switch would be in the works.. Not sure where you got a 8 port gig switch for $10 ;)

With a switch that supports the features, then you would have to set it on the box itself.. Sure if you have a 300/300 connection then setting the 1 pc nic to 100full would limit it to those speeds.

post-14624-0-69806000-1415279088.png

Or you need to get a switch that supports qos and or rate limiting. So for example a fully managed switch would have these sorts of setting in spades. Now a sg300 might be a bit out of your budget?? You can get one for about $185 on amazon I believe

post-14624-0-78517500-1415279168.png

post-14624-0-83172200-1415279181.png

But even a cheaper smart switch should have these settings as well

post-14624-0-24910600-1415279377.png

post-14624-0-30518000-1415279386.png

Something like the qs108t goes for about $80 on amazon - I have the older v1, the v2 has been out a while, etc.. If your in a market for a switch and can afford it I would highly highly recommend the sg300.. For the price point you just can not touch it on feature set, hardware specs at that price point! If someone has a better suggestion for a managed switch sub $200 price range I would like to hear about it myself!!

I'll start off with the OS option and try to get me one of those smart switches later on :) I can afford it but just not this month :(

Also the $10 "dumb" switch was an sale on a IT store that was closing doors.

It's this one to be exact.

http://www.tp-link.com/EN/products/details/?model=TL-SG1008D#over

But thanks Budman! :)

Nice sale!! I show that switch for like $25 For a dumb switch that works fine even at the $25 price point seems good, at $10 that is great price you should of picked up a few of them ;)

If you like that line, here is their easy smart switch, it supports qos and looks to be less than $40

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG108E-8-Port-Gigabit-Tag-Based/dp/B00K4DS5KU

From quick look at the manual looks support port based qos, along with 802.1p (vlan based) and just plain rate limiting.. So might be something to look at better price point!

Nice sale!! I show that switch for like $25 For a dumb switch that works fine even at the $25 price point seems good, at $10 that is great price you should of picked up a few of them ;)

If you like that line, here is their easy smart switch, it supports qos and looks to be less than $40

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG108E-8-Port-Gigabit-Tag-Based/dp/B00K4DS5KU

From quick look at the manual looks support port based qos, along with 802.1p (vlan based) and just plain rate limiting.. So might be something to look at better price point!

Bookmarked it for now. Seems reasonable :)

This one I got now was just an fast buy because we were preparing for a lan party a few years back and needed a switch fast lol. For that price it has served me very well indeed.