My Playstation Protection Plan Woes

DISCLAIMER: Please, this is not a discussion about if extended warranties are worth it or not. I tend to avoid them like the plague myself, but for a console, one I know is expensive as hell if you have to pay to send it in for repairs yourself, I decided to get it for my Playstation 4.

This past Monday I received an email from Sony entitled "The Clock Is Ticking"

It was an email reminding me that I only had a few more days to purchase the Extended Protection Plan for my Playstation 4. I am sure others here received it.

Here is a screenshot of it.

post-34384-0-46760200-1415198709.jpg

What is weird is I thought I had already purchased the Protection Plan. I had to call Sony Support shortly after the release of the PS4, and while on the phone with support, the kid I was talking to offered me a discount on their Accidental Damage Protection Plan that would cover my PS4 for 2 additional years for 3 years total. I decided to do it.

The thing is, I had no record of this Protection Plan anywhere on my console itself. It was not showing as purchased, and I even took 15 minutes to go through my entire transaction history on the sony website (which if you ever had to do this, it is a painfully slow process). I even searched my Google inbox, and found nothing. It was nowhere to be found, so I had decided something must have happened and I never actually purchased it.

Because I could find do records I actually had the Protection Plan, Monday I decided to purchase just the regular Protection Plan through my console itself, which was also including a 10% discount for + subscribers.

This morning I got the email confirming my plan, so now that I had a subject line to reference, I decided one last time let me just triple check, sure enough when I searched the subject line, two emails showed up.

post-34384-0-93927500-1415198707.gif

Turns out I DID already have the Protection Plan. Not sure why the email did not show up the first time I was searching for it, but lo and behold there it was. Dated February 24th.

So no problem, I will just contact Sony and get a refund on the transaction from this past Monday right?

Yeah, it turns out the original transaction was done on a "different system" than they do normal Playstation purchases on, so it was not showing up anywhere under my account (hence why I never found it in my search). And the Customer Chat agent I was talking to does not have access to this system. Because he had no record I purchased it, he could not give me a refund on this latest transaction.

Now I have to call back after 11 AM and try and get it all resolved. I was even able to find the purchase date on my credit card for the first transaction, which was December 2nd. So I did not receive the confirmation email for that purchase until February 24th. I remember the kid telling me it may take a few days as there system was backed up because of the holidays, but over 2 months later to get a confirmation email?

So yeah, Sony really needs to get their act together with the PSN and purchases and their systems, etc.

I better get my damn refund on this most recent purchase.  :angry:

DISCLAIMER: Please, this is not a discussion about if extended warranties are worth it or not. I tend to avoid them like the plague myself, but for a console, one I know is expensive as hell if you have to pay to send it in for repairs yourself, I decided to get it for my Playstation 4.

This past Monday I received an email from Sony entitled "The Clock Is Ticking"

It was an email reminding me that I only had a few more days to purchase the Extended Protection Plan for my Playstation 4. I am sure others here received it.

Here is a screenshot of it.

attachicon.gifemail_sonyclockisticking.jpg

What is weird is I thought I had already purchased the Protection Plan. I had to call Sony Support shortly after the release of the PS4, and while on the phone with support, the kid I was talking to offered me a discount on their Accidental Damage Protection Plan that would cover my PS4 for 2 additional years for 3 years total. I decided to do it.

The thing is, I had no record of this Protection Plan anywhere on my console itself. It was not showing as purchased, and I even took 15 minutes to go through my entire transaction history on the sony website (which if you ever had to do this, it is a painfully slow process). I even searched my Google inbox, and found nothing. It was nowhere to be found, so I had decided something must have happened and I never actually purchased it.

Because I could find do records I actually had the Protection Plan, Monday I decided to purchase just the regular Protection Plan through my console itself, which was also including a 10% discount for + subscribers.

This morning I got the email confirming my plan, so now that I had a subject line to reference, I decided one last time let me just triple check, sure enough when I searched the subject line, two emails showed up.

attachicon.gifemail_inbox_sony.gif

Turns out I DID already have the Protection Plan. Not sure why the email did not show up the first time I was searching for it, but lo and behold there it was. Dated February 24th.

So no problem, I will just contact Sony and get a refund on the transaction from this past Monday right?

Yeah, it turns out the original transaction was done on a "different system" than they do normal Playstation purchases on, so it was not showing up anywhere under my account (hence why I never found it in my search). And the Customer Chat agent I was talking to does not have access to this system. Because he had no record I purchased it, he could not give me a refund on this latest transaction.

Now I have to call back after 11 AM and try and get it all resolved. I was even able to find the purchase date on my credit card for the first transaction, which was December 2nd. So I did not receive the confirmation email for that purchase until February 24th. I remember the kid telling me it may take a few days as there system was backed up because of the holidays, but over 2 months later to get a confirmation email?

So yeah, Sony really needs to get their act together with the PSN and purchases and their systems, etc.

I better get my damn refund on this most recent purchase.  :angry:

I've had no luck with Sony's support in the past. I had several conversations with them about why I could only download from PSN at roughly 1mbps. They blamed my connection, the console, and whatever else they could until we got to the resolution that "our London CDN nodes are over capacity at the moment" and was told there was no ETA on "expanding" this capacity.

Sony phone support was mince for me. Larry make a fuss on social media, you'll probably get a better response. Even make a GAF topic and link to it. Find out who the American community managers are and tweet them as well.

Without meaning to sound too pessimistic, I take every extended warranty as an easy way for them to make money. "Give us your money and you get an extended warranty! ...Oh wait, that isn't covered."

Still, I've yet to find Sony one of the culprits of this scheme. But again, that's personal experience. Sorry to hear you had a bad one, I'll make sure to check my account if/when I get around to buying a new system.

EDIT: I spent the morning dealing with Microsoft support, being bounced left right and center, so perhaps my view of support is a tad skewed...

Sony phone support was mince for me. Larry make a fuss on social media, you'll probably get a better response. Even make a GAF topic and link to it. Find out who the American community managers are and tweet them as well.

Luckily I did not have to go this route.

I called Sony Support at 11:02 AM.

They already had a record from my discussion with the chat agent, and they were able to see the first protection plan right away (the one which the chat agent could not).

I was put on hold for about 10 minutes while they could get a supervisor, they transferred me over to that supervisor, spent about 2 minutes on the phone with them as they were already told what was going on and actually said it was a common mistake and no problem, and I was given my refund for the latest purchase and told it could take 5-10 minutes to show up. (Y)

Just checked my wallet, and my refund is already there. :punk:

Could have been worse I suppose. I just wish their system easily told one if you have a protection plan.

• Like 2

Sony support is some of the worst if not worst I've ever en-counted. Just wondering how much the extended warranty actually is from Sony Larry? As I got mine free from purchase and the retail outlet. Just wondering how much they are charging for this and if it differs country to country.

Sony support is some of the worst if not worst I've ever en-counted. Just wondering how much the extended warranty actually is from Sony Larry? As I got mine free from purchase and the retail outlet. Just wondering how much they are charging for this and if it differs country to country.

If you have playstation +, right now they offer 10% off, so it is:

$44.99 for regular coverage that extends it for 2 years for a total of 3 years.

$54.99 for coverage plus Accidental Damage (spilling something, etc.) that also extends it for 2 years for a total of 3 years.

When I got the 36 Month Accidental Damage plan that I have, because I was calling and complaining about something else they offered it to me at the same price as the normal plan, which at the time was $49.99.

Considering I have read it costs people upwards of $30 to ship it back if it is out of coverage, it seems like an okay deal overall for 2 years of peace of mind.

I actually almost NEVER purchase extended warranties for anything actually, but my experience last generation, especially with the 360, just has me paranoid about consoles overall.

With that said I have an original Phat PS3 that (knock on wood) is still going strong to this day, so it may very well be money I threw out the Window. Only time will tell.

Sony is a ######ing joke when it comes to customer service.

I had to deal with this crap when I sent my console in because of the launch day hdmi issues. They sent me a new console without my upgraded drive. Communication was all ######ed up. After a month and half I got my drive back and it happened to be right when they had an update out. Since the drive was wiped I needed the update and it took Sony 7 days to post the actual update on their website. So I had to wait 7 days before downloading and installing the update.

It was a god damn mess and they need of get their ###### together.

If you have playstation +, right now they offer 10% off, so it is:

$44.99 for regular coverage that extends it for 2 years for a total of 3 years.

$54.99 for coverage plus Accidental Damage (spilling something, etc.) that also extends it for 2 years for a total of 3 years.

When I got the 36 Month Accidental Damage plan that I have, because I was calling and complaining about something else they offered it to me at the same price as the normal plan, which at the time was $49.99.

Considering I have read it costs people upwards of $30 to ship it back if it is out of coverage, it seems like an okay deal overall for 2 years of peace of mind.

I actually almost NEVER purchase extended warranties for anything actually, but my experience last generation, especially with the 360, just has me paranoid about consoles overall.

With that said I have an original Phat PS3 that (knock on wood) is still going strong to this day, so it may very well be money I threw out the Window. Only time will tell.

The RRoD is my reason for getting an extended warranty on my One.  I went the Square Trade route when i ordered it on Amazon.com.  They even gave me a deal on it.  I got 36months +accidental for $35 so why not.

I don't have an extended on my PS4, but I think I'm about to hit Square Trade up and see if I can still add it.

My OG PS3 Phatty has the YLOD, I have yet to get my lazy bottom around to fixing it.

Sony is a ######ing joke when it comes to customer service.

I had to deal with this crap when I sent my console in because of the launch day hdmi issues. They sent me a new console without my upgraded drive. Communication was all ######ed up. After a month and half I got my drive back and it happened to be right when they had an update out. Since the drive was wiped I needed the update and it took Sony 7 days to post the actual update on their website. So I had to wait 7 days before downloading and installing the update.

It was a god damn mess and they need of get their ###### together.

I remember that, the incremental update vs the full update.

When PS4 launched, moved my 1TB hard drive in to the PS4 ran across that issue. 

I did dodge the HDMI port / cable (obstruction) issue

Without meaning to sound too pessimistic, I take every extended warranty as an easy way for them to make money. "Give us your money and you get an extended warranty! ...Oh wait, that isn't covered."

Still, I've yet to find Sony one of the culprits of this scheme. But again, that's personal experience. Sorry to hear you had a bad one, I'll make sure to check my account if/when I get around to buying a new system.

EDIT: I spent the morning dealing with Microsoft support, being bounced left right and center, so perhaps my view of support is a tad skewed...

You live in Europe tough we have mandatory manufacturer warranty longer than these extended plans anyway ...

I don't have an extended on my PS4, but I think I'm about to hit Square Trade up and see if I can still add it.

SquareTrade gives you 30 days from the original purchase to buy a warranty.  If you wait, you have a 30 day waiting period before the warranty goes into effect.

SquareTrade gives you 30 days from the original purchase to buy a warranty.  If you wait, you have a 30 day waiting period before the warranty goes into effect.

I purchased my PS4 in February 2014, so I'm still good for now...

Good ol'Larry giving me a scare with that Protection Plan pic  :| ...

So I'm just gonna add 2yrs to it then...

In an interesting turn of events, 1 hour ago I received a new email outlining my new Protection Plan.  :huh:  :shiftyninja:

So yeah, not sure what is going on, as I already do have the Protection Plan from last December, but it does go to show you how disparate their systems really are from each other.

But hey, who am I to complain I guess?

I also quadruple checked, my wallet is still refunded.

They may have moved the plan to the "new" system so you and their people an see it, avoiding issues in the future if you have to send it in, if the service people can't see you have it, it'll be even more trouble :)

I kind of wish Sony had some kind of local store near me. I think the price for the extended warranty is good, which is why I got it, but having to deal with the shipping time is a bit annoying.

I haven't had to use support yet, so maybe I won't have to experience the issues that others mention lol.