Reinstalling Windows - will it wipe other internal drives?

Hi guys,

The time has come to clear out the garbage on my computer and do a fresh install of Windows (8.1)... I've only had it built since May but storage is running out, things are broken or sluggish (on an AMD A10-7850K and R9 270X) so its time to start fresh I think.

This reinstall is slightly more important than others I've done on my old machines though as I have vast amounts of data I simply don't have time to fully backup. All the system stuff is stored on my 120GB SSD and can be cleared off without any worries for the fresh install... but then there is my 320GB internal HDD which contains all my files... basically,, if I reinstall Windows onto the SSD, in the setup wizard, will it touch my hard drive? I need everything to be left exactly as it is on there really.

Ilmiont

During setup you get to choose where you want to install Windows

If you select the SSD, Windows will leave the other HD alone

Even if you only have one HD and 2 partitions, Windows will only mess with the partition you select and leave everything else in tact.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

Hi guys,

The time has come to clear out the garbage on my computer and do a fresh install of Windows (8.1)... I've only had it built since May but storage is running out, things are broken or sluggish (on an AMD A10-7850K and R9 270X) so its time to start fresh I think.

This reinstall is slightly more important than others I've done on my old machines though as I have vast amounts of data I simply don't have time to fully backup. All the system stuff is stored on my 120GB SSD and can be cleared off without any worries for the fresh install... but then there is my 320GB internal HDD which contains all my files... basically,, if I reinstall Windows onto the SSD, in the setup wizard, will it touch my hard drive? I need everything to be left exactly as it is on there really.

Ilmiont

Every time I've done a reinstall on a multi-drive setup, the data on the non-system drive has been untouched.  Just be very careful to select the right drive/partition as the install destination.

But I'd still at least back up your most critical stuff as a precaution.

Just an addition to what was mentioned above, it will overwrite existing bootloaders -- take care if you dual boot.  But yea, otherwise it's fine as long as you're paying attention to where you put it.

Just unplug your storage drive and leave only your SSD installed. Once you are done with the install, plug your storage drive back in. You don't even have to worry about messing up then.

• Like 3

Great thanks everyone thought it would be fine; just didn't want to fresh install and find it had reformatted the HDD or something stupid... never reinstalled a multi-drive system before. I have backups of the most important ofc on various places but still I wanted a guarantee that my 250Gb of files would be safe (including Steam games that I don't want to redownload due to my atrocious internet speed).... so thanks and sorry for the decidedly simple question.