Teen planned to kill parents, classmates, Self

MONKTON, MD (AP) ? A Maryland teenager told police he planned to use a stolen handgun to kill his parents, then drive to his high school and kill students and teachers as revenge for years of bullying he suffered, according to court documents released Wednesday.

Sash Alexander Nemphos, 16, of Monkton, is charged as an adult, Baltimore County Police said in a tweet. The charges include possession of a destructive device, having a dangerous weapon on school property and theft, according to the probable cause documents.

Nemphos was confronted Saturday by police over thefts from a car and business, including a handgun. After asking him about the stolen gun several times, the 10th-grader, who officers said was clearly intoxicated, told police he was going to take the gun, drive to his school Monday, shoot the school officer, and then take the officer's gun to "kill as many teachers and students as he could."

The documents say the teen also said he had made several bombs to blow up George Washington Carver Center for Arts and Technology.

Police recovered from his home a handgun, three crude, homemade explosives, a suicide note, and a journal with all his plans, the probable cause documents said. He was arrested at his home.

Nemphos told officers he had intended to go through with his plan on Halloween and had taken the gun in his backpack to school. But he had forgotten the bombs so he aborted his plan, he said. He also said he was too drunk to carry out the plan, the documents said.

He said he was going to try again Monday and would stay sober to do it, the documents said.

Nemphos told police he had been bullied for years and has told teachers, but nothing was ever done.

source

Sure glad they caught him before he went on his rampage. But every time I read one of these my first though is why can't these people just start with taking themselves out first instead... it's not like they're going to care about any of it once they're dead. And if there is an afterlife they'd be in a much better position NOT having murdered a whole bunch of people. But then again, anyone that is going to do something like this is probably not a very rational person to begin with. And all that for being bullied? Jeez we're turning into a bunch of pansies...

Sure glad they caught him before he went on his rampage. But every time I read one of these my first though is why can't these people just start with taking themselves out first instead.

These days lot of people keep telling kids suicide is for cowards only.

...every time I read one of these my first though is why can't these people just start with taking themselves out first instead...

There is the aspect of suicide being classed as a coward's way out, but there is also anger to deal with. When the world seems to be against you, a major thought that comes to mind is, "let me get my own back before I go." Not to mention that these acts get the media in a frenzy rather than just a suicide. It depends on the mentality, but it's generally somewhere on the spectrum between, "let me show the world how far they pushed me" and "this will put me down in the history books."

Terrible that it comes to situations like this, but at least they got to him before he was able to go through with it...just. :/

Isn't it great that mass shooting is now an acceptable response to bullying.  We should probably do something about the cause, rather than the monstrous effect,

I wouldn't think anyone would say a mass shooting is "now an acceptable response".

• Like 1

With most of the kind of response I see on this thread, a certain "revenge" mentality will always exist out there.

EDIT:  agreed with you perochan.

with bullies, revenge really is the only option. snitching only makes it worse, or in this case, did nothing at all.

When you kill yourself, you are effectively killing everyone on the planet. In fact, you are destroying the universe.... Why don't the suicidal remember this, and kill themselves first?

That said, bullying at school is a serious issue, and more needs to be done to address it.

I've never understood why youngsters are forced to endure things that an adult would have legal recourse to do something about. There should be zero tolerance, and if schools can't or won't deal with it effectively, then the law should get involved.

ikr? Sure anyone can put a gun up to their head but how many actually have the balls to pull the trigger.

It's not really about bullying. Nobody mentally healthy will want to kill people because he is bullied. I was bullied a lot at school and never wanted to kill anybody. It's about mental problems and how we deal with them. Too many people think we can solve mental problem with a pep talk. It makes young people with mental problems think it is all their fault and they should be able to be normal by themselves.

I hear that often these days people who think depressed people are lazy and that it should be easy for them to kick their own *** and be productive. It's not that easy i know what i'm talking about. I'm extremely lucky to be a single freelance worker so i can manage my own schedule. Makes thing easier.

I wouldn't think anyone would say a mass shooting is "now an acceptable response".

Maybe not in what some people say but it's definitely what people do.  Or rather, what lack of doing anything to address it because everyone has been arguing.  If people were so outraged then they would be doing everything they could to stop it instead of scaring kids with police presence.  A lot of people in that generation are going to have emotional scars for the rest of their lives.

I am sure theres more to it than just "Bullying". The kid clearly has psychological issues, why else would he be intoxicated, and to some suicide is the cowards way out, but in the right mindset (figuratively speaking) taking ones own life could be considered compensation for taking another life.. an eye for an eye correct?

It's not unusual for a minor who is charged with a serious, potentially violent felony to be charged as an adult. If charged as a minor no matter how disturbed he is he'd likely be released from the juvenile system at 18 or 21.

Too soon, and it poses a risk to others. A potential spree killer later if untreated. Being charged as an adult they can keep him in the system to enforce longer term diagnostics and treatment.

That's sad :( But yeah, teachers should be more considerate of the emotions of the student. The teacher should have helped her instead of ignoring. That way, s/he will still feel that someone is there for her.