Ubisoft's Big New Games Have Disappeared From Steam

Ubisoft's Big New Games Have Disappeared From Steam

ud1legv8ovg0edjufywq.jpg

Last night, when I went to bed, the last thing I saw as I turned off my PC was a huge banner ad on Steam advertising Assassin's Creed: Unity. By the time I woke up this morning, the game was gone. You couldn't buy it on Steam if you wanted to.

Far Cry 4 isn't there either. Nor is The Crew. Yesterday, all three Ubisoft games were up for sale, and just like that, today they're not. Three of the biggest games left to come out in 2015, and on the PC's biggest digital shopfront there is now a black hole where once there were pre-order deals and wishlist entries.

What gives? Officially, not much. A Ubisoft rep in the UK offered this statement to PCGamesN:

We've been in discussions with Valve about Assassin's Creed Unity but for the time being the game is not available via Steam in the UK.

Unity, along with the other two games, isn't available in the US either. Or Europe. Or Australia. We've asked Ubisoft's US team for comment, along with Valve, and will update if we hear back (so we're yet to know if they'll ever be back, or what exactly happens if you've already preordered).

Remember that Ubisoft has its own digital shopfront on PC, and its own uPlay service for, well, whatever uPlay is doing.

Source: Kotaku

I saw that on reddit last night. Must be related to uPlay or something.  I wonder whats gonna happen to oaks who preordered on Steam|? Will Ubisoft make right with them because this isn't a Steam problem..,.

I'll probably still get Unity but all my games are bought through Steam, this is annoying :(

Ubisoft and EA can go to hell, they have no reasons for not integrating steamplay in their games other than crappy marketing decisions. They had the "physical sale" excuse before, now that excuse no longer exists.

They want to push their platforms? Then they should offer the game at a lower price there rather than pestering the users with their shovelwareish garbage that adds nothing to what Steam already does.

Fine with me. One more reason not to buy any Ubisoft games. No Steam, no buy. And that goes for any publisher, but especially the big three.

I just don't understand how publishers can think restricting the avenues of purchase for their products is a good idea. Even with Valve's cut, they have to be shooting themselves in the foot by not offering their products through Steam. REDUCE the barriers to entry, don't increase them.

• Like 2

Until Unity turns up on Steam, I will be playing Castlevania LOS. I'm not entertaining another DRM provider at this time thanks.

UK has not been able to pre-order Unity / Far Cry 4 since their announcement - widely speculated to be due to retailer GAME.

They can sell their game wherever they choose. If you don't want to buy it that's also your choice.

The problem is their choices aren't in their best interest. 

"Hey, we could sell our games on the largest and most respected PC platform there is..."

"Nah, I can't see how that benefits us in anyway. Let's try to push it on our wholly inferior platform which no one wants a bar of."

I'm hardly the only PC gamer whose view is "If it ain't on Steam, I ain't gonna bother."

• Like 2

I made the mistake of trying to play a game that came free with my grafix card on u play

I will litterly never buy a ubisoft game no matter how good it is again

good riddance ubisoft and there pc drm ideas can go jump in a lake

The problem is their choices aren't in their best interest. 

"Hey, we could sell our games on the largest and most respected PC platform there is..."

"Nah, I can't see how that benefits us in anyway. Let's try to push it on our wholly inferior platform which no one wants a bar of."

I'm hardly the only PC gamer whose view is "If it ain't on Steam, I ain't gonna bother."

I agree with you. I was just saying if you decide to not buy their game, you are voting with your money.

I don't mind non-Steam stuff if it's a normal install but I'm not a fan of how every gaming company needs to have their own game distribution network on top of the games themselves.

I don't mind non-Steam stuff if it's a normal install but I'm not a fan of how every gaming company needs to have their own game distribution network on top of the games themselves.

Or a game you buy in steam which then opens some other nonsense. The Assassin's Creeds game do this. You open it in Steam and then it opens uPlay.

Until Unity turns up on Steam, I will be playing Castlevania LOS. I'm not entertaining another DRM provider at this time thanks.

UK has not been able to pre-order Unity / Far Cry 4 since their announcement - widely speculated to be due to retailer GAME.

I guess you're done playing Castlevania then, Unity and the other missing games are back on Steam now (though they still require a uplay account).

That label can also be applied to your beloved platform.

It would if it was installed with Origin/uPlay games that were already integrated to their respective platforms. If they wanted to be honest they could integrate the game with their and Steam platform separately and give keys for both the versions like Humble Bundles did.

So many people from UK (which is only effected by this weird situation) here :laugh:

Not really, yesterday opening the latest AC page on Steam redirected me to the home page as well and I don't live in the UK.

Where are you from? I checked every regional Steam store that I could think of and all of them had the game (except UK obviously).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289650/?cc=us - Available

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289650/?cc=ru - Available

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289650/?cc=de - Available

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289650/?cc=jp - Available

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289650/?cc=uk - Not available

Far Cry 4 and it's season pass appeared in search results for me but the pages were down over the weekend.

Now they don't even appear in the results today.

Poor decision by Ubi :no:

I read the other day that Ubi are saying it wasn't deliberate on their part. Seems hard to believe. But it also seems hard to understand why it would be deliberate.