AMD 8 core CPU

So I just got my system back up and running afer almost a year of sitting collecting dust. I purchased a BIO Star motherboard which can support the AMD 8 core cpu's, but I've been out of the hardware loop for so long I no nothing about them. I checked out newegg and they seem to have a decent selection. Mainly I want to know what the difference is between the 95 watt and 125 watt cpu's, I already have an after market cooler on my current CPU, so that is not an issue. If anyone can help me out here, I would appriate it!

The only thing I'm aware of is that the FX 9590 and similar cpu, doesn't run at it's full speeds unless the motherboard can supply it with the amount of power required to 'unlock' it

This was something I read on this site, but as I'm posting using my phone, I cannot find the source, as I don't have the patience :p

can you elaborate? what do you want to know exactly?

typically the lower wattage CPUs just run slower

That was mainly what my question was, I understand lower watts=less heat, but do you sacrifise speed for less heat?

Nice to see that an Intel i5 can beat the best AMD FX processor in some/many test...

But in day to day ops, can anyone really tell the difference ?

I just completed an AMD fx8350 build and that system is pretty darned fast.  it is the 2nd time Ive done a build with that CPU, the first one was a monster @ $2000

I cant imagine someone really seeing a shortcoming in CPU when they are relatively alike.  Most people done run synthetic benchmarks all day.

I have a Core i7, and I think that big AMD build is faster than mine ... one has to consider that CPU is not a major factor when it comes to overall performance.

• Like 1