Deer Season in Kentucky!

Modern gun (aka rifle) season opens tonight for white tail deer in Kentucky.  Who else is laying everything out getting ready?  I looooooove deer meat.  I was running the chains on the sidelines at a high school football game tonight and even though they were losing, one of the kids from the opposing team walked up to me and said, "You goin' huntin' in the morning?"

Hopefully I can stuff my freezer full again this year, :-)

post-125978-0-41285300-1415420434.jpg

• Like 1

So you hunt, fix your own cars, grow your own crops, treat your own water... Please, just make me feel more and more useless!!!

Fun fact, white tailed dear is almost extinct from over hunting where I live (Honduras, Central America) and never tried dear meat myself :/ would love too though.

So you hunt, fix your own cars, grow your own crops, treat your own water... Please, just make me feel more and more useless!!!

Fun fact, white tailed dear is almost extinct from over hunting where I live (Honduras, Central America) and never tried dear meat myself :/ would love too though.

I'm not sure what laws would regulate it, but I'll poke around and see how legal it is, and if I can I'll see about sending you some deer jerky if I get one this year.  I would offer to send you some raw meat on dry ice, but the dry ice I get for free from the grocery store (left over when they get a shipment of ice cream) only lasts 2 or 3 days, depending on how much I can get and how long it takes me to get it into the mail, and I'd hate for it to take too long to get their and go bad before it got to you.  I sent some to a friend last year in another state and it took about 4 days to get there, and when it got there she said it had just started to thaw out, but was still alright.

The deer here are absolutely everywhere.  I'll bet I could go out in my front yard right now and shine a light and see 4 or 5, but technically it's illegal to hunt them after dark, so even though there's a billion of them around, I still try to follow the rules.  I mean just earlier this evening a buddy of mine I talk to on the CB radio hit one with his truck when it jumped out in front of him and broke one of its legs.  It got up and ran off on 3 legs so he just chased it down with a knife and cut its throat, took it home with him, :p  The alternative was to just let it run off and die of infection, or be eaten alive by coyotes, so since he's the one hit it he just killed it himself and took it home.

Rifle season doesn't open for a week from today, here in Michigan.

Don't go myself as there are just to many stupid people out in the woods then! Even on private property, which is where I used to hunt, I've seen many people just wandering around. That's really a great thing to when hunting!

Rifle season is about a hair short of being a national holiday here. A lot of schools and businesses shut down for a day or 2 for it.

Good luck on bagging the big one! :)

Edit:

What the heck kind of rifle is that you're using? Doesn't look like anything that would even be legal here.

Looks like a .308 NATO AR-15 with a few mods. A lot of hunters like them because they handle well in the rough and are lighter than many "regular" hunting rifles.

Firearms deer season opens here Nov 15; centerfire rifle, shotgun, handgun or black powder. We also have an archery season before and after firearms season.

And yes, it's nearly a national holiday here too with well over a million hunters hitting the woods; men, women and kids. Some schools just give up and close for the week.

Michigan's whitetail herd is about 2.5-3 million and needs about 1 million taken a year to prevent starvation in the herd due to our wicked winters.

My tradition on opening day is to take out 'LadyHawk' - my .50 cal Hawken plains rifle. Shoots anything from a 180 grain patchef round ball to an antimony hardened 500 grain projectile that'll shoot through some trees (great for thick woods.) I've had her for over 40 years and she's still a nail driver with the right loads. Otherwise, with a 375-500 grain she can drop a 450lb charging hog or bear in its tracks. Kicks like a mule with heavy loads.

Re-linked from the weapons thread....

hawken-001.jpg

hawken-002.jpg