'Foodini' machine lets you print edible burgers, pizza

Dublin (CNN) -- As further proof that you can now 3D-print anything, a company called Natural Machines has introduced a 3D printer for food.

The "Foodini," as it's called, isn't too different from a regular 3D printer, but instead of printing with plastics, it deploys edible ingredients squeezed out of stainless steel capsules: "It's the same technology," says Lynette Kucsma, co-founder of Natural Machines, "but with plastics there's just one melting point, whereas with food it's different temperatures, consistencies and textures. Also, gravity works a little bit against us, as food doesn't hold the shape as well as plastic."

At the Web Summit technology conference in Dublin, the Barcelona-based startup is showing off the machine, which it says is the only one of its kind capable of printing a wide range of dishes, from sweet to savoury.

Currently, the device only prints the food, which must be then cooked as usual. But a future model will also cook the preparation and produce it ready to eat.

"In essence, this is a mini food manufacturing plant shrunk down to the size of an oven," Kucsma said, pointing out that at least in the initial stage the printer will be targeted mostly at professional kitchen users, with a consumer version to follow, at a projected retail price of around $1,000.

more

Oh come on!  "3D printed" spaghetti, pizza, and burger patties?  A monkey could create any of those in about 5 minutes.

The amount of effort to prep the machine would be much longer than just doing it yourself.

Oh come on!  "3D printed" spaghetti, pizza, and burger patties?  A monkey could create any of those in about 5 minutes.

The amount of effort to prep the machine would be much longer than just doing it yourself.

Not to mention:

Currently, the device only prints the food, which must be then cooked as usual. But a future model will also cook the preparation and produce it ready to eat.

So the machine doesn't even cook the food, wtf does it do in the case of hamburgers, take raw beef and form it into a patty for you?

Not saying this isn't a step towards the future (cmon food synthesizer), but it really seems like too small of a step to consider manufacturing and selling at this point.

• Like 2

i can see a margarita pizza being printed

printing:

dough

tomato and basil sauce

mozzarella cream cheese

but even in this simplest most basic scenario, i cannot imaging it tasting close to the taste of real homemade food

so, maybe, eventually, you can find this "food" printers in fast food places...  but no respectable restaurant will use them in any foreseeable future.

that will be all for our program...  we will return to "Current Nostradamus Terrible Future Predictions Show or CNTFPS for short.

I guess you have to start somewhere, but I think we are a long way away from this replacing anything.  I think the key will be in the recipes and likely start with the base elements eg,  let me print fresh home made pasta (just the pasta), even if I have to cook it, if the recipe is good its just saved me a lot of time and stuffing around that I don't often have. 

• Like 1

i cannot imaging it tasting close to the taste of real homemade food

All this does is make shapes from the raw ingredients. You put bread dough in, you get bread dough out in a fancy shape so it shouldn't tast any different.

What would be more interesting would be making the raw ingredients from chemicals. I wouldn't really want to eat such a thing though.

The Jetsons is coming true.

I can see giving Papa John's your debit card number -- they send their unique code to your printer, and your pizza is printed out in minutes, piping hot.

One or two slices at a time ... ?

No more trips to a store, no delivery drivers or tips.

Or, maybe just no more pizza shops at all ...

Given how Epson and others are talking of multi-alloy/material printing, including mechanisms and circuits, 'replicator' is sounding close.

Not really, completely different concept.

However, this COULD be interesting for the concept of something like a Pizza vending machine or something similar. It just dispenses the liquefied food that already had to be prepared.

Not really, completely different concept.

However, this COULD be interesting for the concept of something like a Pizza vending machine or something similar. It just dispenses the liquefied food that already had to be prepared.

Pizza vending machine, you say?