Surface RT 3 When?

No, there is no official word from Microsoft. Apparently though a Surface Mini running Windows 10 will be launched. Also when the Windows 10 UI decisions are stabilized along with the WP/RT merger they will probably launch a new ARM device. RT as we know it is going to change.

Microsoft is most likely not going to make an other RT anytime soon. My best would be a 7 inch windows phone that I more for tablets then a phone. The apps are there. Windows RT app store is really bad. They are going to do what Apple did with iPhone to iPad.

RT is pretty useless now that the newest Atoms can to wipe the floor with most other ARM CPUs. Also Intel is selling them at prices noticeably lower than the production cost in order to push a quick adoption, hence all those supercheapy tablets/phablets with Atoms around (because unfortunately for Intel only the douchiest manufacturers took immediate advantage). If Intel hadn't proven to be unbelievably incompetent with everything but x86 CPUs (see all their IGPs fiascos) maybe Microsoft should have better waited rather than going the RT route.

I think as things stand, if a Surface 3 'RT' would have been enough for your needs, the Surface Pro 3 with a Core i3 processor will do the job better for a few hundred dollars more. The Surface Pro 3 price is poised to drop, so you might score a deal on Black Friday. So you lose only a few hundred bucks over an 'RT' version - this may or may not be acceptable to you.

RT is pretty useless now that the newest Atoms can to wipe the floor with most other ARM CPUs. Also Intel is selling them at prices noticeably lower than the production cost in order to push a quick adoption, hence all those supercheapy tablets/phablets with Atoms around (because unfortunately for Intel only the douchiest manufacturers took immediate advantage). If Intel hadn't proven to be unbelievably incompetent with everything but x86 CPUs (see all their IGPs fiascos) maybe Microsoft should have better waited rather than going the RT route.

ARM is not useless, all phones use them so while RT is going away, we probably won't see ARM go away. It has longer battery life and a more secure platform

ARM is not useless, all phones use them so while RT is going away, we probably won't see ARM go away. It has longer battery life and a more secure platform

I said RT is useless, not ARM. The latest Atoms are more efficient and have performance-per-watt higher than most other ARM CPUs (of course this only in the high-end performance range, Intel can't compete on power consumption in the low-end devices). On the Surface it's Atom vs Tegra so basically Intel vs Nvidia and Nvidia has no chances against a CPU maker, especially one that can sell their CPUs at half the price to push all the manufacturers on board.

I said RT is useless, not ARM. The latest Atoms are more efficient and have performance-per-watt higher than most other ARM CPUs (of course this only in the high-end performance range, Intel can't compete on power consumption in the low-end devices). On the Surface it's Atom vs Tegra so basically Intel vs Nvidia and Nvidia has no chances against a CPU maker, especially one that can sell their CPUs at half the price to push all the manufacturers on board.

But now you are trying to prove ARM is useless? Saying Nvidia's chips are useless? For me, RT still has a place IMHO.

• Like 1

But now you are trying to prove ARM is useless? Saying Nvidia's chips are useless? For me, RT still has a place IMHO.

Nvidia and Intel SoCs are used only in high-end high-performance devices. I was referring only to that area of the ARM market. Where the power consumptions or the price requirements are stricter (the biggest part of the ARM market) neither Nvidia or Intel currently still have the slightest chance to compete. A Surface RT could work just as well and with the same battery life with one of the latest Atoms (the Airmont series that Intel has recently put on sale), of course providing the OS had the same no-native-software (but more importantly no-always-running-third-party-garbageware) restrictions. Microsoft is likely holding on to find a way to put x86 CPUs on their RT series while maintaining some third-party-software restrictions and without pissing off the customers that expect to install all sort of garbage on it just because it's x86 (not an easy task).